ShuffleMate adds wire management, clips to iPod shuffle | iLounge News

ShuffleMate adds wire management, clips to iPod shuffle

pic Bruddy Designs today announced the ShuffleMate for Apple’s iPod shuffle. The all-in-one accessory combines the functionality of a case with clips and wire management. The plastic ShuffleMate fits both shuffle models, has a wrap-around base to reduce excess wire, and features a built-in belt clip. The accessory also comes with an industry standard “bull-dog” clip that can be attached to any side of the ShuffleMate via mounting slots. Bruddy said the ShuffleMate is currently in production and will be available in mid-March. It can be pre-ordered now for $16.95.

« Mix: m:robe, Pace University, podcasting, Pepsi girl

Sirius CEO: No satellite radio for iPod »

Comments

I had the pleasure of testing out the ShuffleMate and am extremely pleased with it. I workout almost daily and loved to take the Shuffle along, but it got in the way too much, what with the cables snagging on equipment and the Shuffle falling out of the pocket of my gym shorts. The ShuffleMate clips securely onto my shirt or cap and is just a perfect companion to the iPod Shuffle for the gym.

BTW, there’s an error in the article… pre-orders get $5 off the 16.95 price.

Posted by beRaD on February 10, 2005 at 6:58 AM (PDT)

Looks good but I find a rubber band holds the cord nicely .

Posted by Flatso on February 10, 2005 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

Seems like a good idea for keeping the headphone cable in check, especially when using the lanyard.

Posted by jlb2003 in Cincinnati on February 10, 2005 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

The only problem with using this device with the iPs while exercising is that it does not protect from sweat or water.

Posted by dewarner on February 10, 2005 at 7:24 AM (PDT)

are there any pics of the actual clip part?  it looks like its all just of the front, and i cant tell how it clips the cord, or how it clips to your shirt.

Posted by zip22 on February 10, 2005 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

i don’t get how the cord stays wrapped up? i can’t really tell from the pictures. i like the clip aspect of it, but this seems to add too much bulk to the shuffle.
i prefer the clip that another company was offering except that this one is $10 cheaper.

Posted by mdwsta4 on February 10, 2005 at 9:27 AM (PDT)

There are several clipping options… which is why I like it so much. There is a built-in clip that goes across the width of the ipod which makes it perfect for putting on your belt horizontally (or even on a cap… my favorite use of it). You can also attach it to your shirt in the same fashion, or use a bulldog clip (bulldog clips are those clips that come with nametags sometimes). As I said before, I’ve used it working out and the bulldog clip on the shirt and the cap options are my favorite. As far as the cable management, there are “c” clamps on all four corners of it and also “cable crimps” (my terms… don’t know what they’re called officially) on the sides so regardless of how your wrap the cable, it always has a clamp to slide it into. I don’t use the standard iPod earbuds, but some Philips over the ear earbuds instead… works great with both, though.

I’m not to concerned about the water issue… the clamp keeps the shuffle away from my shirt and I think the shuffle itself is pretty sweat-proof.

Posted by beRaD on February 10, 2005 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

swear-proof wise, there are some comments in the forum that sweaty people are having problems, but if anything it would be from being in direct contact with a sweaty body.  i think you’re right with a clip, you can clip it somewhere and that should be sufficient to keep it away from your body.

are you affiliated with the company at all?  if you are, or even if you arent, som pictures of the back and of all the clamping mechanisms you speak of would be very helpful.

Posted by zip22 on February 10, 2005 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

beRaD, do you have any better pictures of it? even the ones on their website basically only show the front. they don’t show the clip at all.
still, as far as ‘looks’ are concerned, i think this one looks a lot better

although at $10, if i can get some better pictures of this one, i might change my mind.

Posted by mdwsta4 on February 10, 2005 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Hello everyone - Matt here with Bruddy.

As requested, I have put up a gallery of images, including and CAD rendering of the product and a picture of the “bull-dog” clip which comes with it for you to get a better idea of the product overall.

Thanks again for all the feedback.  Keep it coming - I read it all.  Let me know if there are any other questions or issues that I can be of assistance with regarding the ShuffleMate.

Posted by Matthew Broms in Atlanta, GA on February 10, 2005 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

Has potential I guess, but like others I would like a simple case that has a belt clip.  Either a hard case or a silicone skin type.  I really don’t feel comfortable using this thing in the gym while sweating like crazy or potentially giving the thing a little knock on accident with a weight plate or dumbell.  I don’t get the impression at all that a raw Shuffle is either waterproof or shockproof.

Posted by irun5k on February 10, 2005 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

There really shouldn’t be a need to wrap the excess cable around the iPod.  Apple should’ve used a split cable system like Sony does.  I don’t own an iPod shuffle, but I imagine the short cable of the EX71s are just the right length when the shuffle is hanging on the lanyard.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on February 10, 2005 at 9:44 PM (PDT)

‘Gallery’ - Having the ShuffleMatenow , I’d love to see Apple (or a 3rd party) have a two part cord where there would be a male connector about 1+ foot from the actual ear bud where the wires come together and then an additional 2-3 foot extender.  Even you took the need for wire management away, the ShuffleMate would still be great for attaching to your person given it’s small form factor and wide assortment of attachment options.—

And regarding the sweat issue, I have to agree with ZIP22 - I’m a bit surprised about all the concerns.  I acknowledge the possibility of exposure if you sweat profusely.  Even in that case, and certainly in most work-out situations, it doesn’t seem like it would be to hard to find a spot on your person where this wouldn’t be such a concern.  And if it were, Apple already has a fantastic solution for this issue in their $30 sports case.  While the ShuffleMate is almost half the price, has more features, and works great in most situations, the other has it’s place.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the sharing of these concerns.  I will certainly take them under consideration and see if any such critique can be addressed in future variations.  While I don’t have a water-tight case in development (yet), I am working on some additional mounting alternatives that could address these concerns.

Posted by Matthew Broms in Atlanta, GA on February 11, 2005 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

Its the perfect all in one case- the wire management was the deal breaker for me (2 birds w/ one stone kind of thing) and it looks like it will keep the usb cap from falling off! Im just hoping that it doesnt add too much to the overall dimensions of the shuffle. Placed my order…I cant wait! Matt whats the eta? any chance I can get it earlier? Thanks

Posted by marley2778 in Palos Verdes, CA on February 17, 2005 at 5:58 PM (PDT)

Thanks for the thoughts marley2778.  The significant functionality improvements, especially with the near elimination of wire clutter, really make the product worth owning.  ETA is still mid-march.  The added weight and dimensions are very minor.  And there’s no earthly way you’ll lose the USB cap while your shuffle is in the ShuffleMate.

I wish I had some to send out now. I do have a few prototypes I could sell.  They function great, but are definitely not of the calibur that the finished product will be.  I would suggest waiting unless there is a desparate need.  Just let me know.

Posted by Matthew Broms in Atlanta, GA on February 24, 2005 at 9:58 PM (PDT)