Signal allows iPhone to control iTunes | iLounge News

Signal allows iPhone to control iTunes

image

Alloysoft has released its Signal software, which lets you control iTunes, Winamp, or Windows Media Player with an iPhone or Windows Mobile device via Wi-Fi. The software offers an iPhone-specific interface, which provides a two-way, live-updating view of your media player. Features include the ability to play, pause, and stop your music, browse and search your media library, adjust the volume, rate songs, and more. Signal is available for Mac or PC and sells for $30.

« iPhone battery charging issue a software bug

Griffin launches SmartScan iTrip station finder »

Comments

Yet another “let’s sell it before Apple updates the software” product. This functionality should have been implemented upon release. Probably wasn’t with respect to Keyspan who still do not have the TuneView USB out of the door.

Posted by Bad Beaver on July 16, 2007 at 10:05 AM (CDT)

The future is here.  Apple better get on the ball with this quick.  I’ve been dreaming for years of walking into my house, pulling out my headphones and turning on the stereo with my iPod.

Posted by John Doe on July 16, 2007 at 10:11 AM (CDT)

great idea and it should have been implemented from the beginning.  $30 is to much though, $20 yes

Posted by Dave on July 16, 2007 at 10:20 AM (CDT)

that is just ridiculous - $30 is way too much for a software that yes should of been on the iphone and 2) it should be freeware - its not hard to program that - there are TONS of freeware available for other phones - why i can do this with my Nintendo DS too - shame on this company - i spit on this programmers face - Torrents for the Win

Posted by gabe on July 16, 2007 at 11:42 AM (CDT)

Naaa, gabe, you cannot blame the programmers for exploiting capitalism to their benefit. It does not make the whole thing less of a rip-off, but you cannot blame them for trying.

Posted by Bad Beaver on July 16, 2007 at 12:15 PM (CDT)

gabe: should be freeware?  Well then why don’t you write it and make it freeware?  You’re probably one of those people who think that all software should be freeware (because you don’t want to pay for anything) and programmers will just magically make a living somehow even though everything is free.  If you don’t want to buy it, don’t buy it.  But don’t put down a company for seeing a need, writing the program to fill it, and then trying to sell it.  I’ve tried the demo on my PocketPC and it’s pretty nifty.

p.s. it’s should HAVE been, not should OF been.

Posted by dodo on July 16, 2007 at 1:52 PM (CDT)

Bad Beaver is mistaken… the iTunes version of TuneView shipped in late June.  (I work at Keyspan.)

Posted by Mike Ridenhour on July 16, 2007 at 1:54 PM (CDT)

Indeed, it has!
(the TuneView USB site still lists it as “coming soon” btw)
- I must have missed the announcement on iLounge (ahem). I know this is threadjacking, but do you have a hint on when it will touch down in Europe? The German distributor does not list it yet. I’ve been looking forward to the USB version for a good while, I will not even complain about the 1:1 $/ā‚¬ rate. :)

Posted by Bad Beaver on July 16, 2007 at 2:46 PM (CDT)

Now if we could get iTunes streaming functionality via wifi (a la Apple TV) to your phone.  That would be very nice to have when on my home network, and doesn’t seem like it would be such a difficult amenity to achieve.  I will concede, however, that I am decidedly NOT a programmer.

Posted by emmcubed on July 16, 2007 at 3:46 PM (CDT)

I think it’s a great idea.  But it shouldn’t take long for the open source copycats to embrace and extend it.  It’s up to Signal to continue to build on this idea and outpace the alternatives, and considering I don’t know anything about them as a software collective I don’t have the faith that would result in my forking out $30.

$10, sure.

Posted by dasmb on July 16, 2007 at 3:53 PM (CDT)

how is this supposed to work? Does my computer have to have a wireless card? And even if it does, how can the iPhone connect to my computer and tell it what to do?

Posted by tom on July 16, 2007 at 6:54 PM (CDT)

This would be great if it actually worked. Can’t get the software to do anything except browse my playlists, then it just hangs when I try to actually play anything.

Posted by ray on July 16, 2007 at 8:43 PM (CDT)

ray: Hi, I’m the developer of Signal. If you’re using the application on a Mac, are you by any chance running it directly from the disk image? If so, try moving it to your Applications folder to see if that resolves the issue. If that doesn’t help, please email us at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and we’ll work with you to get this figured out.

tom: The iPhone application communicates with your computer over your home network. You’ll need a wireless router or access point to allow the iPhone to join the network, but your computer can be connected via either a wired or wireless connection - doesn’t matter. To allow the two devices to talk to one another you install a small application on your Mac or PC that accepts commands from the iPhone throught the network and translates them into the appropriate action in your media player.

Posted by Matt Stevens on July 17, 2007 at 3:00 AM (CDT)

dodo - don’t assume anything. I love paying for software just not $30 with limited functionality.

yes it is capitalism at work.  This company is only exploiting the void of connectivity between the iphone and the PC.

That said - just wait and we will have FREEWARE out soon enough.

$30 towards developmental costs?  hmm- i’d love to see a breakdown of the R&D costs…

Posted by gabe on July 18, 2007 at 5:18 PM (CDT)

well i hope no idiots bought this program - apple is coming out with their own! hahaha

Posted by gabe on July 21, 2007 at 1:30 PM (CDT)

Gabe:

Do you have any verifiable facts to backup your statements?

Posted by JimBo W on July 21, 2007 at 8:10 PM (CDT)

Gabe:

I try posting a rather long message but apparently it was too long, so I will make multiple posts.

What is your problem? Did you get fired by Signal or what?

In any case, since you claim to be such an authority, please clarify the following statements:

1. “apple is coming out with their own!”
  Please provide more details.

2. “This company is only exploiting the void of connectivity between the iPhone and the PC.”
  Um, isn’t that what all applications do? That is, find a problem, solve it, and try to profit from it?

3. “just wait and we will have FREEWARE out soon enough.”
  Please provide proof of this. Haven’t PDA’s with wireless capabilities been around for a long time? Why hasn’t a free solution already been provided? If one has, please provide details.

Posted by JimBo W on July 21, 2007 at 8:15 PM (CDT)

A coninuation of my previous post.

4. ” iā€™d love to see a breakdown of the R&D costs”

Have you ever taken a class in economics? The only time R & D costs would come into the picture is if you were trying to calculate ROI (return on investment). The price people are willing to pay has nothing to do with what the R & D costs are.

Posted by JimBo W on July 21, 2007 at 8:20 PM (CDT)

I find it both interesting and sad that people are criticizing Apple for suppling this ground breaking device , Alloysoft for making a product that compliments it—and then having the nerve to wish to be compensated for their efforts.

I’m sure there are updates coming down the pike for the iPhone which may or may not add the feature that you think Apple should have included in the first place.  Until then, either buy the software (if you like it), or don’t.

But for the love of God, stop b1tch1ng about it—at least until the new phone/software combo that YOU created that solves all these problems starts shipping.

Posted by tiny-e on July 27, 2007 at 11:50 AM (CDT)

I’m thrilled to have found this because I have the need and will pay the $30 as soon as I verify that it works on my home setup. If I can find the same utility for less money and it works reliably, I’ll switch to that in the future. The $30 is the price of having it NOW vs. some unknown time in the future. They did a nice job. I’ll pay them.

Posted by Rob on August 23, 2007 at 5:28 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >