SiK announces din line-out/FireWire adapter for iPod | iLounge News

SiK announces din line-out/FireWire adapter for iPod

picdin is a portable line-out and FireWire adapter for iPod and iPod mini. Access the high quality line-out audio from your iPod and connect it to your home or car stereo, powered spekers, amplifier, or other audio device without lugging around the bulky iPod Dock. din also allows you to connect the docking port of your iPod to any standard FireWire cable to sync or charge. It’s available for $21.95 at Sik.com and participating resellers.

« iLounge t-shirts have arrived

Napster CEO slams iTunes, AAC »

Comments

I am wondering if this new SiK din cable is simply the SiK Imp cable without the car charger attachment? If this is a different cable what is the difference between the two…?

Edit by Jeremy Horwitz, March 2005: iPodlounge has deleted a collection of negative and derogatory comments from “audiogeek” on our site, which we discovered have been posted by a writer for competing publications. As he has trolled and posted obnoxious comments in a number of threads, picking fights with our readers and editors, he has been banned from the site, and we strongly oppose his repeated mischaracterizations of various products and our editorial opinions. This comments thread was affected by his posts, and has therefore been modestly edited. If any of the other comments below do not make sense in the context of these deletions, we apologize.

Posted by DLeeWebb in Lancaster, Pennsylvania on March 9, 2004 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

would it be possible to use this thing without plugging the firewire port in?  This for someone who would want the line-out as opposed to the headphone out.

Posted by roshan on March 9, 2004 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

I have the Imp cable and you can use the line-out for headphone, or more appropriately, for a portable amp. That way the signal is not amplified twice…this new cable looks like the same thing without the car charger included with the Imp cable…

Posted by DLeeWebb in Lancaster, Pennsylvania on March 9, 2004 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

How can you trademark the word DIN? It’s the name for an industry standard piece of equipment.

Posted by er on March 9, 2004 at 4:56 PM (PDT)

I am looking for a cable that just plugs into the wall socket for charging or just power.  Can this do it?

Posted by Stu on March 9, 2004 at 7:33 PM (PDT)

hehe.. sick mate! smile
(apologies for the lame pun)

Posted by camson in Melbourne, Australia on March 10, 2004 at 1:19 AM (PDT)

What exactly is the point of a female firewire connector? Seems like a standard (male) connector would be more useful.

Posted by jpbchillin in Dublin on March 10, 2004 at 4:40 AM (PDT)

Unless I’m mistaken, the point of the female firewire connector is so you can plug in a power cable, i.e. run a normal firewire cable bewteen this pseudo-dock and the AC adapter.

Posted by Druid on March 10, 2004 at 4:45 AM (PDT)

I had to chop off the female audio plug to make it a male one so it could go straight into a portable amp.

Posted by snoddy on March 10, 2004 at 5:21 AM (PDT)

My 6pin firewire port is in the back of the computer.  With this I can leave a standard firewire cable plugged in and synch/charge my ipod or hook up my video camera or external hd without getting behind the computer to change firewire cords.

Posted by cgar on March 10, 2004 at 6:01 AM (PDT)

Seems a bit odd to buy this, for 9 bucks more you get a car charger which could be handy. It most definitely looks just like the cable part of the sik car charger setup I just got a week ago.

Posted by bsoplinger on March 11, 2004 at 5:01 AM (PDT)

It is the same as the “dongle” [the cable part w/o the car charger part…] portion of the SiK Imp. It is exactly the same. This was confirmed for me by Scott at SiK customer service. I have the Imp…$9.00 extra for the car charger part…get the Imp!

Posted by DLeeWebb in Lancaster, Pennsylvania on March 11, 2004 at 5:20 PM (PDT)

it would make far more sense to make an adapter with the car charger AND the din output.  So you could plug your iPod into the head unit with the din line level output and also have the car provide power to the iPod.  I think that the kind hearted people at SiK must have truly been smoking crack to put out this product without even thinking of powering the iPod on the road.

Posted by wht on March 11, 2004 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

This is all well and good, but what I *really* want to see is SendStation put a line-out jack on the PocketDock.  It would be the easiest and most compact way to get line-out-quality sound out of the 3G iPod, and you could use your 1G and 2G car chargers with it.

Posted by turbora on March 11, 2004 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

wht:  the din has a female firewire connector, right?  you could use a 1G or 2G car charger to charge your 3G iPod.

Posted by turbora on March 11, 2004 at 6:51 PM (PDT)

I didn’t see any way that this particular product could be used to supply power to an iPod.  Of course the website didn’t offer much info.  Belkin makes a car charger that has a line out plug built into the car charger. However, mine makes a lot of static noise. I’ve tried adjusting the dial on the charger and adjusting the volume and a ton of other stuff including different cables, headphones and splitters to try to diagnose the problem.  I’ve tried darn near everything but taking the damn thing back and the best that I could come up with was to plug the dock into the car charger and connect the dock’s line out to my cd player (which has a line in jack on the front of the faceplate - very nice!)  If there was a device that let me both power the iPod and connect it to the cd player through either the line in or the din jack (which is on the rear of the unit of course) then I’d get it and send the belkin thing back.

Posted by wht on March 11, 2004 at 10:55 PM (PDT)

I should probly mention that I have the 40GB 3rdG iPod and the jvc kd sx980 and the belking adapter I refered to was for the 3rdG iPods with the dock connector.

Posted by wht on March 11, 2004 at 10:57 PM (PDT)

turbora- I second that request. That would be an excellent solution if you have a headroom gigabag. Not a lot of room for the cable part of the Imp when the iPod and the total airhead are in the bag…

Posted by DLeeWebb in Lancaster, Pennsylvania on March 12, 2004 at 5:28 AM (PDT)

Thanks DLeeWebb.  Who else is with us?

Go to SendStation’s contact page < http://sendstation.com/us/contact/ > and tell them you want a line-out jack on the PocketDock!

Posted by turbora on March 12, 2004 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

I ordered the “din” last week, and it arrived within 60 hours of the placement of my order.  I was surprised by the speed of delivery, especially since Sik ships via USPS Priority Mail, and I live in New York (the company is located in California).  As for the accessory itself, I am very pleased with the product.  It does exactly what you would imagine - provides a line out (great for connecting to stereos) and the flexibility of a female firewire port.  I picked up a 19” firewire from Apple and plan on using this combination as a travel charger/stereo hook-up.  My only complaint is that the pictures and descriptions on the Sik web page make it very unclear that the “imp” is the “din” with a removable car charger.  I probably would have spent the extra $8 if I had known this, but no big deal.  Thumbs up for Sik.  One question, on a somewhat related topic: does anyone know how the xtrememac xwiregold cables compare to those you can buy at Radio Shack (are they really just snazzy-looking white cables or significantly better than the Radio Shack gold series)?

Posted by Peter on March 14, 2004 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >