Sik Announces imp and FireJuice for 3G iPods | iLounge News

Sik Announces imp and FireJuice for 3G iPods

SiK today announced the imp car charger with line level output and a new version of the FireJuice multi-mode power injector for iPods with dock connector. “Imp’s unique design offers unmatched flexibility for using your iPod on the go. Imp provides unadulterated line level audio output and charging when used with iPod with Dock Connector.” The FireJuice “makes possible the use of bus-powered devices on computers with un-powered FireWire ports. FireJuice for iPod with Dock Connector is available in both 4 and 6 pin versions.” imp and FireJuice for iPod are available for pre-order today. imp is available at the special introductory price of $25.95 (MSRP $29.95.) FireJuice for iPod with Dock Connector is available at the special introductory price of $33.95 (MSRP $39.95.)

« RollingStone: Steve Jobs on iPod, iTunes and more

iPod wins What Hi-Fi? Digital Jukebox Group Test »

Comments

What exactly does the Firejuice do?

Posted by dinojr on December 8, 2003 at 9:27 AM (PDT)

It plugs into your Nokia cellphone, and also plugs into your ipods dock connector. Then, the ipod can charge from the cellphone, or vise vers. This also enabled you to load data onto your iPod, like java games, and put them into your cellphone. Antoher cool feature is that it alows you to put mp3 ringtones onto your cell. Thanks

Posted by TKeyMan on December 8, 2003 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

LOL. He’s right, it’s all that and then some. cough.

Posted by noname in Ottawa on December 8, 2003 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

Uhm… I understand you’re joking, but you never know who will take you seriously. What if the kid goes out and spends $40 on a FireJuice thinking he will have cool ringtones transfered from his iPod and then whammo! he ends up thinking he is lame and has no idea how to work a simple “Nokia” product.

Dinojr: Check the sik.com website, it will tell you all about it.

Posted by echostats on December 8, 2003 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

I have read the sik.com website and I still do not understand exactly what it is that the Firejuice brings to the table. Sorry but I am a little thick headed. Can someone please describe how it’s used in practical terms?

Posted by John Baughman in Hawaii on December 8, 2003 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

It is a little confusing.

Posted by Moron on December 8, 2003 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

Yes, after reading it, I too see that it is a very confusing description. Frankly, I have no idea what it is for and would love to know.

Posted by echostats on December 8, 2003 at 7:15 PM (PDT)

I’ve alerady commented eleswhere on this new “imp” thing.  Since there are more comments here than anywhere else, here goes… Can anyone explain why they think we need another cable to plug into our lighter socket?  I mean, it’s been done already.  Why can’t anyone get this right?  What we need is a DOCK for the car with line level outputs!  Not another cable to plug into the lighter socket and figure out where to lay our ipod.  Although there is an expensive connector option that controls the ipod from your CD player, it is plain overkill, and not a true dock.  Are any manufacturers listening?  I just want to drop my ipod into a cradle and hear music. Just like the Apple dock, only for the car. No cables, no snap on connectors.

Posted by npnpep on December 8, 2003 at 8:19 PM (PDT)

Well.. this new ‘imp’ thing is a basically a car dock with line out.

As for the whole ‘Nokia’ thing that was obviously a joke, I mean c’mon.. iPod having ring tones? wink

Last thing, the FireJuice.. Allows you to charge your iPod when you have a Firewire port (on PC) that is 4 pin and not 6 pin (the other two are related to power)

soo.. you’d prolly use that niffty 6 to 4 pin firewire adapter you got with your iPod and plug that end (with one of the firewire cables) into your computer, plug a normal (6 pin or HotJuice which is a power only) firewire cable from your the Power Adapter to this FireJuice device and the other firewire cable to your 1 or 2G iPod (3G if you have a PocketDock) Confused? This probably means you don’t need this.. which is good! smile

FYI - Other things this device can do:

Isolate iPod from other bus-powered devices, so it doesn’t unmount unexpectedly

Mount iPod without charging/powering it (especially handy with ‘Books)

Reboot iPod without unplugging

Works as an ordinary FireWire cable too

Btw, I am not affiliated with sik.com in anyway..

Posted by noname in Ottawa on December 8, 2003 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

nonono…. its quite simple.

Many PC Laptops come with NON powered Firewire Ports. This means no charging while connected.

This adaptor Splits your line from the dock so you can have 1 cord going to the Computer and 1 cord going to the charger.

This is great for most laptops since most of the Firewire built in is 4pin witch is non powered. Also the Firewire cards you can buy to slide in the side of yoru laptop are also NOT powered, so many people out there have to charge or upload seperate. This Cable is great for laptop useres mainly.

Posted by Eddy on December 8, 2003 at 8:43 PM (PDT)

hehe thanks Eddy smile I’ve been on a PC my whole life and never thought about using this for a laptop but it makes sense..

Thinking back i don’t know if PC’s even have 4 pin firewire ports (or un-powered ones) It must be a laptop thing.

-Justin

Posted by noname in Ottawa on December 8, 2003 at 8:57 PM (PDT)

I just pre-ordered the imp.  will work well for my dock application i put in my car.  However, my only concern is this pre-order possibly being like the griffin itrip pre-order.  it says 4-6 weeks and I hope it stays that way, not 4-6 months like the itrip.

Posted by Brett N. on December 9, 2003 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

My guess is that you don’t have a dock at home for your pod!  Yes, while this is “basically” the same thing, and yes, it may WORK for your application, it misses the mark entirely.  The elegance, simplicity, and overall “coolness” of the dock is what the whole iPod/Apple experience is about.  NOT improvising with what THEY give you to “COBBLE” together. Starting to look like “extention cord” hell.

Posted by npnpep on December 9, 2003 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

It’s not a dock because we weren’t “authorized” to make it a dock.  There are also some software issues which impact the type of dock SiK would want to release.

Shipping:  We intend to ship within the time frame quoted (assuming the cargo plane doesn’t crash.)

Posted by SiK on December 9, 2003 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

SiK, thanks for the input/feedback.  I appreciate when manufacturers do take an interest and listen, to the good and the bad!  Your answer was BOTH straightforward AND enlightening!

Posted by npnpep on December 9, 2003 at 2:10 PM (PDT)

the imp to me has got to be one of the best products for the 3g ipod out yet.  i mean think about it, you wanna keep your ipod in a case, and you want to use it at your home with the ‘line out’ feature of the dock, but this means taking your ipod out of the case. . .the imp cable solves that.  no more taking my ipod out of its case in order to charge it or play it through my stereo.  also, i can use the line out in my car w/o having to have the power plugged in so i can charge my phone or whatever.  the belkin thing didn’t allow me to play my ipod through its line out with out having it plugged in.  I can’t wait to get my imp. . one for my room, one for my family room, one for my car

Posted by J on December 9, 2003 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

Do you need the iPod Dock in order to charge the iPod through the Firewire or is it simply enough just to have the firewire without using the iPod Dock?  To me the iPod Dock seems to be something that just keeps the iPod upright while synching/charging.

Posted by raven_sr on June 21, 2004 at 8:33 AM (PDT)