Simplify Media discontinues iPhone apps | iLounge News

Simplify Media discontinues iPhone apps

By Jesse Hollington

Social Media & Software Editor, iLounge
Published: Monday, March 15, 2010
News Categories: Apps + Games, Other

Simplify Media, developer of the Simplify Music and Simplify Photo iPhone applications announced Friday that it will no longer be offering its current software to new users and that it has removed the Simplify iPhone apps from the App Store. Simplify Media was best known for its applications that allowed iPhone and iPod touch users to stream music and view photos from their computer over a Wi-Fi or 3G connection, even while away from home. In a post in its blog, the company indicates that it is heading in a “new direction” and has taken these steps to focus on that transition. The post goes on to state that Simply Media will continue operating and supporting the service for at least the next 3 months for existing users, and that the company hopes by that time to be able to announce more information on “future incarnations” of the service. [via TUAW]

« Apple: $99 iPad Battery Replacement Service swaps iPads

Apple signals post-sell-out iPad reservations, pre-orders still open  »

Comments

I’ll be sure to keep this in mind before buying another SimplifyMedia product, whatever it may be.

Posted by JS on March 15, 2010 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

Time to demand a refund for my software.

Posted by RO on March 15, 2010 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

Just when I thought I’d gotten the best streaming audio app for the iPhone, they pull this? JS put it well: this will certainly impact any future purchases I may (or may not) make from SimplifyMedia.

Posted by Dave on March 15, 2010 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

I will miss simplify. It was buggy at times but was always quickly fixed. Let me re-iterate, I will REALLY miss Simplify! Since having my iphone and simplify, i havent been forced to delete and update my 160gb classic as much. I AM REALLY GOING TO MISS SIMPLIFY!! It was a life saver with an over 300gb library. I have Jukefly, which is reliable but NOT NEARLY as pretty or functional as simplify. Simplify Media R.I.P.

Posted by Dwell on March 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

Sounds to me like they were sold, perhaps to Apple or Microsoft.

Posted by Chris on March 16, 2010 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

Good luck getting a refund. There is no contact info at the simplify site. I have contacted Apple a couple times to request a refund.  No responses.

I have a hunch that Apple bought them and will integrate the service into their home sharing concept somehow. Wishful thinking perhaps.  If this is not the case, I sure want my $7.99 back!

Posted by Helmut on March 30, 2010 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

When something to good to be true comes along it is also true that it will be taken away. I was willing to pay to use Simplify Media. Now that I paid the piper the piper is taking the money and running. Sounds just like the same people leading our nation, “stick it to your supporters.”

Posted by Whitakers2 on April 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

I just bought this app in March and up until I saw this LOVED it.  Way to screw the people that actually support the software… from now on I’ll just pirate whatever else you put out.

I really liked being able to resume large mp3’s (radio shows)...  Guess I need to find something else.  Any recommendations?  I’ll actually buy something if the software will work for more than four months.

Posted by MaynardK on April 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM (PDT)

Well…  here it is over 3 months later and still nothing.  I guess the folk at Simplify Media are still sunning themselves on a tropical beach somewhere warm with all of our money…  us the people who PAID for the app they decided to then PULL from our devices.  Thanks guys. You’re six kinds of AWESOME !!!

Posted by Tim on May 26, 2010 at 2:23 AM (PDT)

What do you mean by pulled?

I have always been, and am still using my Simplify Media music app.. No jailbreak.
It isn’t updated anymore, but hey, it works like a charm. Why fix something that isn’t broken?

I’ll bet it’s going to work at least until Apple launches it’s own streaming service.

Posted by Liptor on June 4, 2010 at 5:38 PM (PDT)

no, they are shutting down their servers at the end of the month. Simplify is NOT decentralized, you can only connect to your PC through their servers. once they shut them down (and they will), the app will no longer work.

I wish the Air Video guys would make an audio streaming app, Air Video works like a charm, and you only connect to their server to generate a key, which you don’t even need to do. If Air Video ever shuts down, your app will still work as it currently does. Simplify lost a loyal customer, I will never support anything they do, ever again.

Posted by guyinabearsuit on June 16, 2010 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

I’m frustrated.  As a paying customer, I feel left high and dry today as the service has stopped working.

I’m disappointed and frustrated, and whatever ‘new direction’ this company takes, they will not see my money at their destination.  I will not purchase another product from them after being ripped off like this in this fashion.

For shame!

Posted by Ben H. on June 29, 2010 at 10:04 PM (PDT)

Not only do the makers not refund the money, but the site claimed that the app will still work for existing users for some time. Not true. I sent them seven emails, all of which went unresponded. Bunch of snakes.

Posted by Brett on July 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM (PDT)