Siri for iPad, more coming in iOS 6
Apple is preparing to bring Siri to the iPad in iOS 6, according to a new report. Citing trusted sources, 9to5Mac reports that Siri on the iPad will offer the full slate of features offered on the iPhone 4S—minus phone call dialing, obviously—and will rely on the iPad’s built-in microphone, which the report claims is fully capable of handling Siri queries accurately. The report goes on to claim that Siri’s interface on the iPad will not be full-screen, as on the iPhone 4S, but will instead slide up from below the display using a “clever” animation, and will appear to float atop the current interface. While the feature has apparently been tested on both the iPad 2 and third-generation iPad, the report suggests that it will likely be exclusive to the latter in an effort to limit the strain put on the still-in-beta feature’s servers. The report claims that it is still unclear whether the feature will be announced next week at WWDC or at an assumed fall event to announce the next-generation iPhone.
In a separate report, 9to5Mac claims that iOS 6 will also bring several small improvements over from OS X Mountain Lion, including support for syncing open Safari tabs between Macs and iOS devices using iCloud, Mail VIPs, a feature that puts a star next to emails received from a specific group of people—this list would also be synced across devices using iCloud—and a Do Not Disturb toggle for Notification Center that will disable alerts and banners while on, and will be located near the Airplane Mode toggle in Settings.
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple Pay coming to Canada in March?
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 cellular models available in China this week
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014