Sirius CEO: No satellite radio for iPod | iLounge News

Sirius CEO: No satellite radio for iPod

Mel Karmazin, CEO of Sirius Satellite Radio, said he recently spoke with Apple CEO Steve Jobs about adding satellite radio to the iPod, but that there is no plan for such a partnership.

“I’ve spoken to Steve Jobs,” Karmazin said Wednesday at a media conference in New York. He declined to elaborate, other than to say that the “current thinking” at Apple is that “they don’t need to put a satellite radio in their box.”

Karmazin said Sirius has been talking to many potential partners about integrating its satellite radio technology.

« ShuffleMate adds wire management, clips to iPod shuffle

Mix: Tsunami relief, iTMS, Target, Microsoft conference »

Comments

I hope this is one of those things Jobs scoffs at at first and then comes around to the idea of (see flash based mp3 players).

I think, while iPod doesn’t NEED radio, it could be pretty slick, and if you are going to put a radio in the iPod, it might as well be the highest class of radio.

I doubt it would ever happen, but I think it is a pretty good idea.

Posted by djfeld01 on February 9, 2005 at 10:43 AM (CST)

Satellite radio needs an almost direct line of sight to the sky in order to get a transmition. The only way to use your iPod with Sateliite inside a building would be to tether it to an antenne. I don’t think Steve is ready to make his portable player not so portable. Smart thinking Steve.

Posted by graphicgeek in Utica, NY on February 9, 2005 at 11:00 AM (CST)

Yeah,I would think this is a few years off from being a practical,affordable option.

How about finding a way to add good ‘ol AM-FM before we worry about XM/Sirius?

Posted by CanofAir on February 9, 2005 at 11:04 AM (CST)

I’d have to agree with graphicgeek. My guess is that Steve is waiting for the technology to mature.  Portable Satellite “walkman” type radio’s are still a relatively new concept.

Posted by jcs in USA on February 9, 2005 at 11:07 AM (CST)

This would be a great idea for both Apple and XM or Sirius.  I’ve known people that didn’t get an iPod because it lacks an FM tuner like some models.  It would help convert those users over to Apple as well as help satellite radio grow.  I’d be in line to buy one the day they were released just so I don’t have to carry around 2 units anymore.

Posted by bprice25 on February 9, 2005 at 11:07 AM (CST)

My feelings are mixed - I sometimes want FM on my iPod (NPR junkie) but frankly I have never used a portable receiver (that is, in your pocket portable) that was worth a damn. Lousy reception, loads of static and touchy tuning seem to be the rule and not the exception. Many lack even a mono/stereo switch to help reception.

I want a tuner, but I want a damn good one. Now a Tivoli tuner (see the iPAL) inside an iPod is an attractive idea…

Posted by BradPDX in Portland, OR USA on February 9, 2005 at 11:37 AM (CST)

If satellite radio needs a direct line of sight to the sky, couldn’t Apple incorporate an antenna with the earbuds? It wouldn’t be as sightly, but it could work.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on February 9, 2005 at 12:14 PM (CST)

I couldn’t care less about radio, Satellite or otherwise.  That’s not the point of the iPod for me.  I see no reason why the iPod needs to have a radio.  If I pay 3-4 hundred dollars for a DAP,  I’m going to listen to MY music…not the radio…There are plenty of cheapie radios out there…

Posted by Cameron T. on February 9, 2005 at 12:37 PM (CST)

narco, that wouldn’t work because at this point the antenna would have to be in line of site of the satalite, so that idea still wouldn’t help in buildings and other indoor/covered areas.

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on February 9, 2005 at 1:09 PM (CST)

Sorry for the gratuitous plug, but there is a lot in it for Apple, I’ve got some thoughts about this posted on my blog. This could be a huge boon for iTMS, I sure hope Apple pursues satellite and this is just a jedi mind trick on us :) !!

Posted by Will OConnor in Dallas TX on February 9, 2005 at 1:33 PM (CST)

XM would be a waste of time in any countries they sell iPods in that don’t have a decent XM Radio system [australia is a perfect example]. It would no doubt raise the price, for something that no one can possibly use.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on February 9, 2005 at 2:01 PM (CST)

Yeah, I have found myself wanting to check the score of a football or baseball game on FM or AM radio, but no way to do it while I am out and about. I also like some talk radio, and I LOVE a certain radio station. If I was able to listen to it on and off, I would be introduced to new music (Alternative Christian Rock) that iTunes doesn’t always highlight, and I would be more likely to purchase more iTunes and whatnot. I think there would be a MUCH higher increase in iTunes sales if the iPod had a radio that introduced music to new music listeners, than if Apple just puts out another generation… blah blah… different shape, same system, basically. Give me what I could get with every other player out there-Normal AM/FM radio… THEN I’ll start buying more songs one at a time at your iTunes store.

Posted by starperformer in Fort Worth, TX on February 9, 2005 at 2:09 PM (CST)

While satellite or other radio reception might make a niche add-on device for some, I doubt that the iPod will ever incorporate AM/FM/XM directly in its devices. I listen to my iPod in three primary locations - home, car, airplane. I already have a radio at home and in my car, and radios are verbotten on airplanes. So if I want to listen to the radio, I just turn it on. Better tuning and reception than I would ever get on an iPod radio.

Posted by Chris VandeVenter in Bismarck, ND on February 9, 2005 at 2:47 PM (CST)

“If I pay 3-4 hundred dollars for a DAP, I’m going to listen to MY music…not the radio…There are plenty of cheapie radios out there…”

This is such a lame,overused ‘reason’ for not having a radio on an ipod. A radio is more than music. In fact,music is the only thing I dont use my radio for. It’s news,weather,sports,talk,info,etc. I just sometimes dont want to listen to music. Sometimes I want the baseball game,news or whatever.  And I bet many feel the same way.

A am-fm tuner is logical next step for making the ipod more then a music device. It should be,for $300+,a personal portable audio entertainment device.

It’s kind of backwards for apple to offer NFL games in iTunes but not give you a way to listen to them live on an ipod.

As for buying a radio. Yes,yet another thing to carry around to take up space,get lost or break.  I agree,I don’t want the ipod to become a overpriced bloated thing like cellphones have become. But a radio tuner is more than an acceptable addition.  It only took 10 years for portable pocket cd players to add radios so it only makes sense that companies have been slow to add them to DAP’s.

If Pogo Products can make a am-fm mp3 player with full record features then Apple can certainly inlcude a fm tuner(at least) in the ipod w/o changing the way it looks or works or costs.

I love how selfish people are. If they dont want an option then it should not be and those that do need it…too bad huh?

Posted by CanofAir on February 9, 2005 at 2:47 PM (CST)

If an iPod radio is someting people want, the market will provide - I just don’t think Apple will incorporate it into the iPod. BTI has already created an iPod FM transmitter/receiver. It’s not much bigger than the standard ipod remote, and provides radio playback through the iPod.

Posted by Chris VandeVenter in Bismarck, ND on February 9, 2005 at 3:06 PM (CST)

One tool for one purpose is the best way to go.  That’s why we don’t have microwaves or nacho cheese dispensers in our cars yet.  Sure it would be nice to reheat that burrito on the way home from work, but in reality, is it worth getting that nacho cheese smell in your uphostry just for the sake of convenience?  No.

Here’s a fun idea, most decent radio stations also do webcasts, and since all of you who are complaining had to actually be on the web to complain about the iPod not having an AM/FM tuner in the first place, why not dial up your favorite radio station online?

With the exception of C89.5 and 107.7, there are very few radio stations (in Seattle) that don’t beat you to a bloody pulp with the same 12 tracks every hour.  Enjoy ad free music on your iPod.  I’m sure if all of the iPods originally came with satellite/AM/FM people would be complaining now about taking it off of their iPods for the sake of size or functionality.

mmmmm…. nachos…..

Posted by iTea in Seattle on February 9, 2005 at 5:13 PM (CST)

I’m going to listen to MY music…not the radio…

This is why I complained about the iPod Shuffle. I would like to listen to MY music in the order I want. “iPod sAt | Life is more random”

I just sometimes dont want to listen to music. Sometimes I want the baseball game,news or whatever. And I bet many feel the same way.

I feel that way. I hope someday we get radio on iPods, not for the music but for the other radio stuff.

Posted by iYuc in Yucatan on February 9, 2005 at 7:13 PM (CST)

this may be attributed to job’s “people don’t want to rent their music” mentality.

maybe if XM/Sirius went free of subscription fees, it could happen.

I wouldn’t want to pay for radio

Posted by StinkieDMB in Pittsburgh, PA on February 9, 2005 at 7:21 PM (CST)

Actually,

I think it has to do with 2 things.

1. An iPod/Sat radio would just be to darn big.
No more elegance, just bulk.

2. Podcasting podcasting podcasting. With Tiger and RSS feeds built in, this is the wave of the near future.

Radio is okay but I have XM and let me tell ya, it’s like cable 200 channels and 3 that are good.

Posted by Boris34 on February 9, 2005 at 8:04 PM (CST)

Another problem with adding satellite radio to the iPod at the moment is availability.  Currently both services are only available to subscribers in the US.  I would doubt potential iPod in the rest of the world would appreciate paying for a feature they couldn’t use.

A AM/FM radio, on the other hand, would be a handly feature any where in the world.

Posted by decx in Toronto, ON on February 9, 2005 at 8:44 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >