Site updates continuing, comments welcomed | iLounge News

Site updates continuing, comments welcomed

Update as of Saturday, April 9 at 2:09PM PST: We are aware that a significant number of our readers are experiencing formatting issues with the new homepage on different browsers, and we’re working hard to fix them. There will be a number of additional tweaks to the main page over the next 24-48 hours to further improve layout and readability, so stay tuned.

A picture of the homepage as it generally should display on your monitor can now be viewed by clicking on Read More below. If it is not displaying in this way, your browser is likely set to display fonts at an unusual size, and most layout issues can be temporarily fixed by adjusting downwards to “normal” font settings.

And yes, the navigation bar will soon be fully functional. Instead of drop-down menus, the gray bar will change contextually by section (news, articles, free music, etc) to let you jump to the preferred sub-section below.

image

« President Bush’s iPod: 250 Songs, Downloaded by Others

Say hello to the new iLounge »

Comments

sorry for posting twice in a row but…
I read ipodlounge news daily, and with the previous site format, i could see whether there was anything new on backstage. Now, on the news only site (less cluttered than the front page), theres no more Backstage info. Not to nag or anything, but i’d like to be able to see if theres anything new. eg something like:

Backstage
Backstage: Pimp My PowerBook!
Backstage: Yes, the new iPod photo -is- different
Backstage: Obsessed with Beck’s Guero

thanks!
-Pete-

Posted by peterburk in Geneva, Switzerland on April 9, 2005 at 11:17 PM (PDT)

ooh Good! You moved the banner ad to the top so all the iPodlounge stuff is together! I’m still not sure about the new layout, I’m gonna wait until you are done to make a judgement.

Posted by WldKt in United States on April 10, 2005 at 1:42 AM (PDT)

Sorry, this is just awful. It looks terrible in Mozilla, it wastes over half of my screen real-estate to white space. Your advertisers could use a little less flashy ads, as well, it’s enough to give a body a seizure, and no, there aren’t MORE than there used to be, they are just jammed into less space.

The last redesign was more useful as a dashboard style apparatus to see more new content at a glance. This is not so good.

Posted by Prudence in Somerville, MA on April 10, 2005 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

While the new layout displays fine on my computer/browser/OS (IE/WinXP,) I really preferred the look of the old site.  I’m a new member of iPodLounge and a new iPod owner for that matter and I could find what I was looking for on the old site without trouble.  I can still find that info on the new design, I just have to scroll a LOT more.

If you’re taking a “poll” of sorts, my vote is for the old design.  If not, well, I’ll adjust to the new one.

There seems to be an attitude of “entitlement” going on here, though.  It’s not like any of us (users) are PAYING for the content here, so where do the bad attitudes come from?  If you don’t like it, find your information somewhere else.  I’ve looked at other iPod sites, and I keep coming back to this one.

Posted by Rob Mincey in Tulsa, OK on April 10, 2005 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

I like the new design, it’s maybe a little buggy at the moment, but that will change! there are one think that is anoying me, when there are as many comments as here, there should be something to distinguish them, like a “comment number”, #1 or something! thanks

Posted by Gentleman_finn in Denmark on April 10, 2005 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

come on you freaking dinosaurs. don’t say you hate something just because you arent used to it yet. i’m sure if you had come to this site and this is what it looked like you wouldnt have these issues. i understand the annoyance with the page displaying incorrectly but if youre really a fan of ipodlounge give them feedback to try to fix it (since thats what this post is telling you theyre doing), don’t just rant about how it “looks terrible” and you hate it. give them an opportunity to clean it up and give yourself some time to adjust - change isnt always bad.

Posted by mswer in Connecticut on April 10, 2005 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

You know what, Im actually starting to like it. The only thing i would reccomend for now is that for the second review thing at the top, there should be no pictures. You know what i mean? Kind of like it is the “dev” page. That the second review doesnt have any image preview or anything, cuz then it clashes with buyers guide and the bloggers contest one.

Posted by johnnyb on April 10, 2005 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

While it was a good thing to change the site, it is now way to cramped. I do not enjoy even coming here. The main thing is that while the site owners welcome our comments, NOTHING will change. They will be brushed aside and the banners will increase and the site will be more about advertising than providing information. Thanks for the memories.

Posted by Don Trammell on April 10, 2005 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

Thanks to all for your continued support of the ‘lounge as we continue to hammer away on the issues. They will be fixed, and there will be much rejoicing (as much here as there).

We promise to prove the naysayers wrong on this one. None of the assumptions a few (ahem - sour) people have made about what will or won’t happen are remotely accurate. These changes had nothing to do with increasing advertising, making navigation more difficult, or anything of the sort. What’s up right now is placeholder. Within a few days, you’ll see what we have in mind.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 10, 2005 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

Don… it costs money to provide the higher bandwidth. More people have iPods than last year, a LOT more people. I’m not affiliated with the site owners, but they have a right not to go broke providing help to the iPod universe.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on April 10, 2005 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

Jeremy—the old site wasn’t broken, so don’t fix unless loading speeds up. Spiffy menus are far down the list of necessities. Making rules about no animated ads (which slow page loading, and which I won’t click on out of general principles) would be a good idea, however.

Posted by FloydC on April 10, 2005 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

NVCaver: The old site was broken - there were a lot of great things about the design (the majority of which you’ll see re-appear on the fixed main page), but a lot of problems as well.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 10, 2005 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

i like the old site, this new layout is too narrow

Posted by tim5288 on April 10, 2005 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

I agree with tim5288; I don’t like this new one either.

Posted by Tink on April 10, 2005 at 5:15 PM (PDT)

I like the new design, however agree that the top is far too cluttered. Wouldn’t it be better to get rid of the ‘ipodgalleries’ banner to the right of the logo at the top and replace it with a smaller version of the audible.com banner that is over dominant above? The huge banner at the top could then be deleted, and the ipodlounge logo would appear in the top left corner where it belongs (on my browser it displays differently to your preview image, where the audible banner appears below the logo). Just my two pennies worth, keep up the good work!

Posted by mark1984 on April 10, 2005 at 5:16 PM (PDT)

I hate this format so much I can’t begin to express my displeasure.  Instead, I will let you know that I am using FireFox and Adblocking the hell out of your site due to this cramped format.

Please bring back the three column top with the large/wide news section.  Scrolling down to get the latest word is just wrong.  Also… many of us browse the web in fullscreen mode (via tabbed browsing).

ipodgalleries… a waste of space.  Send it to the bottom (or I’ll just block that as well).

Posted by fuzzywells in Monterey, CA on April 10, 2005 at 6:38 PM (PDT)

too much complaining.

Posted by arsalan on April 10, 2005 at 10:16 PM (PDT)

Even know my suggestion would “shorten” a banner….......maybe you could take the top banner ad (audible ad as shown in picture) and place that where the “iPod galleries” is now and then move that to a diferent place. You really do need that ipodlounge in the top left just so it isn’t so confusing. Thanks.

Posted by Blurb. on April 10, 2005 at 11:44 PM (PDT)

Pros: Fast load times, improved Reviews page layout.

Cons: Difficult to read and navigate.

C-

Posted by podog in Seattle on April 11, 2005 at 12:54 AM (PDT)

where is the joy of tech link? that was on of the must click ads… now its not there.

Posted by Smorzander on April 11, 2005 at 3:56 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >