Skydda Design intros TradCase, TradDuo for iPhone 3G/S | iLounge News

Skydda Design intros TradCase, TradDuo for iPhone 3G/S

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, March 24, 2010
News Categories: iPhone Accessories

image

Skydda Design has introduced its new TradCase and TradDuo cases for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. Both the TradCase and TradDuo are carved from premium-quality hardwood and hand-polished; the TradCase is made from a single type of wood—cherry, walnut, or teak— while the TradDuo blends two wood types—maple and either walnut or cherry—in a vertical stripe design. Features of both cases include wooden buttons for volume and power control, open access to all other ports, controls, and the camera, and a two-piece design with removable bottom for easy docking. Skydda Design’s TradCase and TradDuo cases for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS are available now and sell for $45 and $55, respectively.

« CBS to offer iPad-compatible online video

U.S. Army visits Apple to discuss iPhone, more »

Comments

I ordered one of these cases and just received it in the mail today. It shipped from Florida and the shipping time was very quick. Upon receipt of the case, it is certainly not as advertised on their site. First, it’s nearly impossible to access the ring/silent switch in the case…the wood is too thick to get a finger in to flip it. The wood on the back of the case had wood filler putty showing. The wooden button to operate the sleep/wake button presses down on the phone’s sleep/wake button at all times, causing the phone to randomly sleep & wake without being touched. In 2 or 3 places on the case, the wood was dented/dinged, and the finish on the wood was flaking off in spots. I’m currently trying to return the case, but am unable to reach the company. Caveat emptor.

Posted by Robb on March 29, 2010 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

UPDATE: I contacted the manufacturer this morning to voice my concerns and I have to be honest, their customer service is OUTSTANDING. Charles at Skydda explained that this must be a defective case and offered to hand-pick a replacement case for me to guarantee it was one that was in good shape, and even offered a discount for my troubles. I’ve instead opted for a refund, as it’s still really difficult for me to flip the ring/silent switch with the phone in the case. Charles was more than happy to offer a refund if that’s what I wanted. I’ll likely be shipping this case back this afternoon.

Posted by Robb on March 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

I bought one of these cases (the walnut case) after seeing it and I gotta say I love it.  It is very unique and nobody else has it which makes me like it even more.  I’m in the Dominican Republic and there are iphones and Blackberry’s galore.  I see hundred of people with the same silicon case and this stands out on its own.  I have had it for about a month and have not had any issues with any of the buttons.  I love the real wood feel when using my phone, it puts a little nature back in todays technology.

Posted by Jay on March 30, 2010 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

Good to see Skydda came through for you Robb. Gives me hope my order will be what I had hoped it was.

Jay, I am also getting a Walnut case. Is the silent switch fine for you to turn on and off?

Posted by aswitcher in Sydney OZ on April 4, 2010 at 1:46 AM (PDT)

I got my walnut Skydda case.

Good
Nice finish, as advertised. No chips, adhesive marks or defects.
Easy to put on and take off.
All buttons work and dont stick.
Fast delivery. International to Australia.
Feels nice but is a bit slippy so if your looking for a high grib case this is not for you.

Issues with thick wood.
Silent switch is hard to get to - smaller fingers and nails are needed.

Docking is now a bit problematic. Wont dock with my clockradios as wood is too thick to allow it to seat properly. Not a deal breaker but something to be mindful off. Works fine with Apple 30 pin cable. Is too tight for non-Apple cables. Bottom comes off easily but I think I might look at filing it wider to save the hassle.

Its a great case but feels a little Alpha in design.

Posted by aswitcher on April 9, 2010 at 2:09 AM (PDT)

hi,
i bought it 2 weeks ago and since 3 days i have it now, it was shipped to the netherlands within 1 week, very fast!
but i received the case broken by the silent button till the screen and from the silent button to the camara hole.

how can i contact them?

Posted by daniel on July 23, 2011 at 4:13 PM (PDT)