Sling Media working on Apple TV support | iLounge News

Sling Media working on Apple TV support

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, April 10, 2007
News Categories: Apple TV

Sling Media, maker of the SlingBox, has confirmed that it is working on making the streaming device compatible with the Apple TV. This feature would allow the combination of the Apple TV and a SlingBox to stream any media in a user’s iTunes library across the internet, and more importantly to any phone supported by the SlingPlayer software — including Windows Mobile, Palm OS, and Symbian devices. “It is definitely something we will support,” said Brian Jaquet, a Sling Media spokesman.

« NextSentry wants workplace ban on iPod

Washington Post offers HD podcasts for Apple TV »

Comments

I’ve been waiting/wanting to hear this. I’m really excited for the iPhone. Apple you did it again

Posted by Matt Engelke on April 10, 2007 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

If I understand this correctly (and that’s a BIG “if”) this means that with an apple TV combined with an iPhone (and of course a slingbox), the limit of 8GB wouldn’t really matter, because I could still have access to everything in my iTunes . . . am I understanding that correctly? If that’s true then I could buy a 4GB version of the iPhone and essentially reduce the cost of the apple TV by $100. Please tell me if I’ve understood the way these things work

Posted by urbanslaughter on April 10, 2007 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

This story is NOT about Slingbox to iPhone capability at all. Please re-read it. It is AppleTV to Slingbox connectivity that they are referring to…

Posted by Erik on April 10, 2007 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

Yeah Erik, I got that. However, slingbox requires the use of a phone (or laptop) so I presumed that Matt Engelke was make an assumption and I simply extended that assumption.

Posted by urbanslaughter on April 10, 2007 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

I’m sure Apple is already working on a way to access your entire library from an iPhone either via a Wi-Fi hotspot or the Internet through a cellular network.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on April 10, 2007 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

Apple would have to allow the Sling Player client to run on the iPhone.

There is a Mac OS X version.

So it’s a question of whether Apple would allow it.

If you think about it, even though iPhone has networking, Apple has announced no plans to allow direct streaming from an iTunes library, either over a mobile network or even Wifi, even if you’re within the same Wifi network as the computer.

No no Wifi streaming over the Internet and no Wifi streaming over something like Bonjour.

Posted by wco81 on April 10, 2007 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

BUT, if I understand slingbox correctly (again, a BIG “if”), you go to a website (if using a laptop) and view your home TV content on that website. Using the internet communicator aspect of the iPhone, couldn’t you just access your content that way once it was on your apple TV’s 40GB hard drive?

Posted by urbanslaughter on April 10, 2007 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

No, you need need a SlingPlayer application to view the Slingbox stream. The Mac OS X app on Mac, or the appropriate smartphone version for the phone. Current smartphone versions are Windows Mobile, and Palm (beta).

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on April 10, 2007 at 7:20 PM (PDT)