Small music stores hard hit by music downloads | iLounge News

Small music stores hard hit by music downloads

“The popularity of digital music players, legal and illegal music downloads on the Internet and the practice of making burn-your-own CDs have helped push 1,000 record stores out of of business in the past two years, according to the Recording Industry Association of America in Washington D.C., a trade group for biggest record labels. [...]

Others say piracy is only one factor in the decline of music sales. Growing competition from large national retailers and digital music sites such as Apple Computer Inc.

Comments

And iTunes is here to make it all better for them.

Posted by MeshKent on May 1, 2004 at 10:02 AM (CDT)

I am all for legally getting music, but the article has a point.  Why would I want to go to Sam Goody or Hastings and spend $15.99 (that is the sale price) on a CD when I can go 10 more feet down the road and get it from Best Buy for $9.99.  Plus, most albums can be downloaded for $9.99, I am sorry buy I am not going to spend an extra $6.00 because the record store needs it.  Call me cruel but I would rather save that $6.00 and spend it on another CD that is onsale for $9.00 or sometimes Best Buy will have albums cheap.  Godsmack - The Other Side was only $6.99 and The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium was only $5.99.  No one can beat those prices on CD’s.

I feal sorry for the small record stores but they just can’t compete.

P.S. I love the iTunes music service, the quality (to me) is the same as me buying the album and ripping myself.

Posted by iPod101 on May 1, 2004 at 10:45 AM (CDT)

Thats only because most people will rip at the standard, 128kbs, and think nothing of it, you grow to think they sound alike. iTunes is ok if you want to buy individual songs, I would never pay for a full album, for 3 bucks more I can buy the real thing and have 10x better quality.

Posted by widds on May 1, 2004 at 10:51 AM (CDT)

you know what? i didn’t hear this when vinyl and 8-tracks were becoming obsolete…

Posted by demented on May 1, 2004 at 11:49 AM (CDT)

there is something romantic in going to ur localindependent music store where you can buy cds, vinyls or crack up a discussion with people that work there about music…which itunes or anything on the internet cant capture for me

Posted by jc on May 1, 2004 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

Any of you been to the Amoeba Music Store in Los Angeles, Berkeley, or San Francisco? Great place, it definitely a business example to follow.

Posted by mp3monger on May 1, 2004 at 1:36 PM (CDT)

Back when I had disposable income, I had no problem supporting local record stores…I loved the atmosphere, customer service was usually better, it was just a better all round experience.

But when I stopped working in favor of school, my dollars became more scarce, and I couldn’t justify paying 16-19 dollars (the going rate until recently at may “local” record stores) per CD.  More accurately, I couldn’t afford to.  I could barely afford the 10-12 bucks that big vendors (Hasting’s, Best Buy, Target) sometimes dipped down to.

Local record stores aren’t being put out of business by the internet, they are being put out of business by the notion that CD’s aren’t really worth 18 dollars.  Granted, that notion was spawned by the internet (both by sites like Amazon.com and free alternatives like Napster), but it won’t go away if music downloading does.

And I love iTMS, but I’ll never spend 10 bucks on an album from there, either…it’s worth an extra two or three to have the uncompressed “master,” which I can then rip at whatever quality I choose as often as I want (with no DRM).  Individual tracks, however, have become my new favorite purchase…well worth 99 cents.

Posted by Carl on May 1, 2004 at 4:18 PM (CDT)

On a side note, I recently went into a Sam Goody and bought a cpuple CD’s…something which I hadn’t done in well over a year.  Why, you ask?  They were having a “going out of business” sale, and most of their CD’s could be had for around 9.99 (compared to the 15.99 to 17.99 pricepoint they were STILL trying to push recently).

Hey, maybe if they had lowered their prices a little earlier, they wouldn’t have gone out of busines.  Whaddayathink?

Posted by Carl on May 1, 2004 at 4:23 PM (CDT)

Of course people buying music from the likes of Amazon nowadays has absolutely NOTHING to do with these stores going out of business…No, really.

Posted by Khab on May 1, 2004 at 4:45 PM (CDT)

I’ve been buying CD’s from used CD stores for the last 5 years or so.  I like the extras (lyrics, etc) and as others have said I can rip to any quality.  Now, this may also have a large impact on the industry.

Posted by stu on May 1, 2004 at 5:59 PM (CDT)

There are LOTS of CDs that I would loved to have bought in the past. Actually I take that back. There are two or three songs from a lot of CDs that I would have loved to have in the past. But I was unwilling to pay $16+ dollars for a CD when there were only two or three songs that I liked. Instead I bought a lot less CDs and waited until a “Greatest Hits” CD came out. At least then I’d like half the songs.

Now that iTunes is here I’ve bought a lot more songs but very few albums. Basically I’m paying a LOT less per song now. Sorry if the record companies don’t like it. Maybe they should stopping putting so many crappy songs on CDs. Maybe then I and others would be willing to buy CDs. Until then, no way.

Posted by Sabon on May 1, 2004 at 6:52 PM (CDT)

I have been buying used CD on ebay, once I get it I copy the CD and ripped to my liking and post it back to sell it. For all CDs, I only spend 2-4 per CDs. Though I get to keep the CDs that I got for cheap prices, like those CDs that is less than a dollar.

Posted by WoW on May 1, 2004 at 8:16 PM (CDT)

well.. we have an fye and a wal-mart(which i refuse to go to) in town (any other store is over an hour away)

and while fye isnt ‘small’ (its still a chain), they have a terrible selection for high prices.. most cds are 17-19.99 for a 40 minute cd that i would be settling for, plus they make fun of what you buy, and blast music EXTREMELY loud.. which annoys me, because i cant hear the preview of a cd through the earphones that are out of order half of the time

no wonder the internet is beating them out

Posted by Nick on May 1, 2004 at 9:02 PM (CDT)

Internet distribution is here… embrace it or fall by the way-side

Posted by noogabooga on May 1, 2004 at 9:09 PM (CDT)

I find here, it’s the independant stores that have LESS to fear than the major chains. Here in Aus, most of the independant stores fill niche audiences, and have far more loyal customers. (I tend to shop for CD’s at 2 indie stores - Krypton Discs, which is down the road, and Big Star, which is in the city. Big Star for instance is very good for alternative music - they don’t stock and mainstream pop). And I think these customers are less likely to leave in favour of kazaa and itunes, than those that shop at Sanity and HMV.

Posted by Nathan on May 1, 2004 at 11:52 PM (CDT)

i agree with nathan, the independant stores are likely to have more loyal customers. people go to these stores to get more underground music (i say underground, not signed to the big 5). and for this reason they are less likely to be affected than the big stores (HMV etc)

Posted by silver_haze20 on May 2, 2004 at 5:54 AM (CDT)

Really, this is just RIAA bullshit which you can trust as far as you throw it.

Posted by adrian on May 2, 2004 at 6:04 AM (CDT)

This article is just a damned lie. RIAA FUD.

What’s actually hurting smaller Mom-and-Pops is the shrinking margins on CDs. Labels have been charging them more, and Mom & Pop know they can’t sell the discs for $18-$21, so their margins get smaller and smaller.

Meanwhile, the RIAA blames downloading for the stores’ troubles. Sound like a conspiracy? It is.

Posted by Billy K on May 3, 2004 at 8:33 AM (CDT)

Oh look, the record stores are going the way of the buggy whip dealers… now if the RIAA would just hurry up and follow them into their deserved oblivion.

Bring on the digital distribution revolution!!!

Posted by IDSmoker on May 3, 2004 at 8:35 AM (CDT)

i’ve bought a few iTunes songs, but i must say that I still like to buy albums (physical version) since you’re often confronted with a bunch of other good songs on the album you weren’t aware of.

BTW, who has ever spent $19 on a CD? Amazon, used CD stores, Best Buy… even Borders has some cheap stuff.

Posted by umlaut in OC, California on August 17, 2004 at 11:10 AM (CDT)