Smart debuts i-move car with iPod connectivity | iLounge News

Smart debuts i-move car with iPod connectivity

We recently reported that Daimler Chrysler’s European Smart division will announce tomorrow the new i-move car at Apple Expo Paris featuring an iPod connectivity kit. Smart has launched a website with information (although in French) about the new i-move car and iPod Kit. As noted by MacMinute, the connectivity kit consists of a “dock, found just above the gear shift, takes advantage of the new iPod’s bottom connector and appears to be connected directly to the car’s audio system, allowing you to control volume and tracks from the head unit.”

« NEWSWEEK: Apple moves up iTunes for PC to mid-October

Griffin PowerPod iPod Auto Charger: $19.99 »

Comments

Hehehe, I have been so close to buying one of these (the car) as it’s ideal for short distance motoring (what I do a lot of) and its small size makes it a great city car (and it’s a bit more comfortable than a motorbike).

Now they are bringing out a limited edition (only 100 - hope they increase that number!) I may have to reconsider it!

As an aside, I read the other day that the French are going to ban the use of the term “e-mail” from daily use and replace it with “Couriel” - a mix of the words courier and electronic - in their ongoing isolationism from all things un-French ( for un-French read American ;

Posted by MadPict in UK on September 15, 2003 at 12:38 PM (CDT)

Now, if this type of connection solution was availiable as a kit for all cars I would buy one in a heartbeat!

It looks good, fits the iPod like a glove and makes use of the Line out through the dock connector to give the best sound.

Let’s also assume that it is connected to the cars power for charging and you have a perfect solution for the iPod in the car.

Why hasn’t apple released a dock orientated car kit?? Hurry up and make one!

Posted by telinoz on September 15, 2003 at 7:58 PM (CDT)

I’m surprised they could find enough space for the dock.

Seriously. Those cars are TINY.

Posted by sb on September 16, 2003 at 12:25 PM (CDT)

I can say: yes it’s connected to the car power for charging and altough connected to the car audiosystem.

@sb have you ever been in a smart?
Try it, you’re just missing the backseat!

Posted by aesch on September 16, 2003 at 1:58 PM (CDT)

telinoz,

as soon as you get a connection kit let me know where you got it. i’ve been looking and looking. the closet thing i’ve found is belkin’s car charger with audio out and running to my alipine through a line input. the line input is an adapter for the cd changer controler.  with that said i would rather have one slick unit like the one on the smart and be able to control it for the deck.

Posted by philldo on September 17, 2003 at 4:41 PM (CDT)

Philldo,

Join the club! just now there is no kit for utilising the dock features. I’m working on a custom job for my car right now.

Have a look under my user name in the forums. The thread is called “Ipod in Car using Dock”.

Posted by telinoz on September 17, 2003 at 10:55 PM (CDT)

k, i’ll check out your threads telinoz. i did contact blitzsafe.com. sadly they told me that they are not developing an interface/ adapter for alpine head units. too sad.

.phill

Posted by philldo on September 25, 2003 at 7:50 PM (CDT)