SmartProtec Annnounces New Security Feature for iPod | iLounge News

SmartProtec Annnounces New Security Feature for iPod

“SmartProtec is a security feature for iPod and other mobile devices that helps protect devices and data against loss and theft. Lost and stolen items are not recovered mainly because owners can not be contacted. When your item such as iPod, cell phone and laptop is lost or stolen, SmartProtec allows the finder or the police to contact you immediately with the serial number of your item without disclosing your personal information.”

Press Release

In addition, SmartProtec protects your items and data with theft deterrence, reinforced legal protection, and professional recovery service.

SmartProtec makes it harder to steal and resell your items and discourages thieves from stealing your items. Anyone including buyers and the police can instantly check if it is stolen with the serial number of your item. SmartProtec is also an ideal property identification solution, which provides additional theft deterrence for your items. The police recommend property identification to deter theft and help recover stolen property.

SmartProtec reinforces legal protection of your items. When your item is lost or stolen, others may not legally possess, sell or dispose yours without contacting you and obtaining your permission.

SmartProtec comes with a professional recovery service that helps return of your lost or stolen item quickly and safely. After locating your missing item, it is delivered to you upon request.

Furthermore, SmartProtec maintains a list of your items with serial numbers in a secure database for you. The police recommend owners to keep a list of their valuables with serial numbers.

- Protect your device and data against loss and theft.
- You are contacted through the serial number when lost or stolen.
- Deter theft.
- Reinforce legal protection of items.
- Get professional recovery service when lost or stolen.

For more information about SmartProtec, visit: http://www.inspice.com/SmartProtec

You can enable SmartProtec security feature for your items in seconds. SmartProtec is free and does not require personally identifying information.

To enable SmartProtec, visit: www.inspice.com/Activate000

Note you can optionally substitute 000 with the actual serial number of your item.

« AppleMatters: iTunes At Your Local Record Store

iPod 10GB clearance $249/$219 with Educational Discount »

Comments

I’ve registered my iPod with it’s serial number to Apple already. Why can’t the police call them?

Posted by Chris Matchett on January 9, 2004 at 2:22 AM (CST)

I think a lot of iPods are stolen because people don’t want to pay their own $500 for a really cool music player.

This might save one or two iPods, but I don’t know about all the hundreds of others that get stolen…

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 9, 2004 at 7:52 AM (CST)

Now I can send a thank you note to the person that gave me my iPod.  :)

Posted by gilatrout on January 9, 2004 at 9:58 AM (CST)

that’s not a security feature, and it doesn’t protect against theft. It might help people who find your property (such as the police busting a crackhouse) restore it to you, but only if they know to look.

a sticker on the thing would work better than this nonsense.

Posted by JC on January 9, 2004 at 10:08 AM (CST)

I love it when people are neagtive about something they know nothing about.

I had a PDA returned to me via a service EXACTLY like this.  My PDA is password protected with NO owner info displayed.  It fell out of my pocket in a cab.  The driver saw the sticker, went to the website, put in the serial number, they sent him a box and 50 bucks, I got my PDA back and they charged my credit card the 50 bucks (which is what I set up as the reward).

This is a great way to increae the chances, however slightly, of getting a lost or stolen ite returned.  and they give them away for FREE, so stop frigging whining about it when you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Posted by stark23x on January 9, 2004 at 2:32 PM (CST)

good idea. I just engraved my name and yen digit number on the back though….

Posted by T Campbell on January 11, 2004 at 11:24 AM (CST)