Solar powered tech jacket can charge iPod on-the-go | iLounge News

Solar powered tech jacket can charge iPod on-the-go

“ICP Solar Technologies Inc. (ICP), the world’s largest developer of solar products for consumers, and SCOTTeVEST LLC (SeV), the leading Technology Enabled Clothing

Comments

Cool idea - one obvious design question: why would you wear a heavy jacket on a beautiful, warm, sunny day?  Let’s hope these crafty inventors come up with a lighter version of their light powered charging coat.  Pun intended.

Posted by themantis on January 13, 2004 at 2:13 PM (CST)

Actually, on a really cold winter day, there is probably plenty of sunlight, what with the lack of clouds and all that.

Posted by MeshAir on January 13, 2004 at 2:15 PM (CST)

snowboarding, skiiing, jogging in the winter is nice

dont have to worry about ipod goind down, this also charges your cell phone, and whatnot.

i think its a good idea.

now they need to sell a small windbreaker, thats thin enough to wear in the spring..

now the summer time thats something different

maybe a hat ? :)

Posted by cool on January 13, 2004 at 2:31 PM (CST)

Perhaps solar threads woven into everyday clothing?  Charge your iPod with your t-shirt?

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 13, 2004 at 3:49 PM (CST)

How hot does it get?

cuz it is after all conducting/transfering HEAT.

Posted by Stasyna on January 13, 2004 at 4:04 PM (CST)

...or a toupee woven with solar hair. It would have to be a mullet, though, to conceal the cord going to your iPod.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 13, 2004 at 4:44 PM (CST)

Stasyna, many solar panels dont even get warm.  It all depends on how efficient the energy transfer systems are, as well as the sheer amount of energy they try and handle.  I’d imagine, though, that the company would ensure that (a) it couldn’t melt/ignite the clothing, and (b) it couldn’t POSSIBLY burn human skin.

Frankly, I wish they would sell just the patches, so I could buy a light vest or light jacket for warmer weather, and sew it in.

Posted by Druid on January 13, 2004 at 4:50 PM (CST)

Handy idea, will be held back by its price. It’ll be interesting to see future developments in this.

Posted by Adam on January 13, 2004 at 5:11 PM (CST)

Atomic Bomb, that was hilarious.

why don’t they bring out a solar charger for the iPod without the jacket? i would buy one of those [assuming its a reasonable size] in a second.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on January 13, 2004 at 5:29 PM (CST)

for the interested parties I live in Chicago and from having a ipod here in the Jan to March zero below winter season it does not like cold weather very much. I could only play it for like 30 minutes on the way to work with it hooked on the front of my cross-strapped bookbag (on my chest) and it would cut off saying that the battery power is GONE!!! I was going bonkers for a moment thinking I got one of those batteries that some people got from Apple that could not hold a charge after a few months of having it. but once I got into a more warmer enviroment the battery meter displayed the correct power left (like it never happened ) I would like some feedback about this to see if im not the only one seeing this (only cold cities apply, just kidding)

Posted by fokis on January 13, 2004 at 5:39 PM (CST)

I live in Seattle where it’s not often above 60.  I usually get about 7 hours on a full charge on my 3rd gen 40 gigger.  When I went to Cali a few weeks ago (weather was around 75-80), I got a bit longer.  Maybe I was using it differently, but it struck me as odd.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 13, 2004 at 6:29 PM (CST)

Cool, but I don’t think I’d find myself using it too much. Inside is a good place on days I need a jacket. :-/

Posted by Sam on January 13, 2004 at 6:35 PM (CST)

at the stie above for a while me and zac have discussed a solar charger, but after a while we jsut stopped working on it, but i wonder how much this jacket will cost

Posted by ari on January 13, 2004 at 7:30 PM (CST)

I dunno.  My guess is that these babies will come in at around $400 U.S. minimum.

Posted by Obadiah on January 13, 2004 at 7:45 PM (CST)

The site, incidentally, specifically prices them at $300, 100 more than the previous model (which was sans solar panel).

Posted by Druid on January 13, 2004 at 9:52 PM (CST)

we could just strap a full-on panel to our backs, then we could power all sorts of things…

microwave popcorn anyone?

Posted by m0nkey on January 15, 2004 at 8:22 AM (CST)

I’ve heard there is portable solar panel designed to charge the iPod going to be introduced later this year by a company called EFX in the UK. They already sell a USB solar panel (solarefx.com) but they are going to make an iPod one which will recharge your iPod in about an hour. Sounds like a fantastic idea especially as the battery life is rubbish on my iPod

Posted by hollyoz on July 27, 2004 at 8:12 AM (CDT)

The best charger on the market that is solar powered has been launched by Better Energy Systems Ltd in the UK, it is called Solio.  (http://www.solio.com) It is super small and has an integrated powerful lithium ion battery (1600mAh) just under 2 X the capacity of your iPod yet smaller and lighter.

Posted by Lucy Fowler on October 10, 2004 at 7:36 AM (CDT)