Solio solar powered backup battery for iPod announced | iLounge News

Solio solar powered backup battery for iPod announced

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, October 13, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picBetter Energy Systems Ltd. in London has announced a solar powered battery backup for the iPod and portable electronic devices. The Solio uses a 1600mAh lithium ion battery and charges at the same rate as the iPod’s normal charger and will store enough charge to extend the playtime of your iPod 40GB to about 9-10 hours. Solio works on all 3G and 4G models including the iPod mini. The Solio will also power your cell phone by changing out the tip.

Solio is selling in the UK and France at the moment for £49.99 and will be launching in the US and Japan very soon. Solio can be bought in the UK at online retailers such as www.ipodworld.co.uk and several high street shops including Micro Avika or Selfridges in London.

« Apple ships over 2 million iPods

iTunes dominates 70% of legal music downloads »

Comments

I think it looks cool. If it’s not too bulky, and performs well, I think there is a great market for it. If it costs around 40-50 bucks or so, it’s a decent deal.

I’d buy one, but I’m usually around an outlet…

Posted by Awesome-O on October 13, 2004 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

Good for camping.

Posted by RILHOUSE on October 13, 2004 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

cool me wantee :-D

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on October 13, 2004 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

Wholly crap that thing looks cool as hell and its actually a practical ipod acessory oO

Posted by Xantos on October 13, 2004 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

If it costs 49.99 British pounds, the equivalent in U.S. dollars would be about $89.62. Kinda pricey to me.

Posted by jinzo-ningen on October 13, 2004 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

ya it cant be cheap it is solar powered

right

Posted by dhruvb11 on October 13, 2004 at 4:23 PM (PDT)

Thanks jinzo, I had no idea how much pounds converted to. I guess 90 bucks is a bit pricey. Looks cool though.

Nice website too…

Posted by Awesome-O on October 13, 2004 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

direct link to the UK store mentioned

http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/product/iPod_General Accessories/SL01.htm

Posted by joe on October 13, 2004 at 7:01 PM (PDT)

heh it’s not very wonderful at all.
i’d get it if it’s like solar panel on a backpack. clothing sort of like that jacket or a shirt.

Posted by threesquare on October 13, 2004 at 7:02 PM (PDT)

oh yeah, always gotta love sportin’ the solar powered jackets.  I know *I* always like to listen to my iPod for more than 8 hours in the sun while wearing my jacket.

I realize there’s the whole skiing thing, but really…

Posted by dethbrakr on October 13, 2004 at 9:59 PM (PDT)

“oh yeah, always gotta love sportin’ the solar powered jackets. I know *I* always like to listen to my iPod for more than 8 hours in the sun while wearing my jacket.

I realize there’s the whole skiing thing, but really…”

Nice comment

Posted by Brandon on October 13, 2004 at 10:02 PM (PDT)

i think atleast it would be better than aiming a propeller shape device at the sun to catch a few rays.

Posted by threesquare on October 13, 2004 at 10:37 PM (PDT)

I built a mini portable nuclear reactor w/ matching radiation suite ........ you can now have power to your ipod FOREVER - WHERE EVER!  I will sell one to the highest bidder!

Posted by jsmoove on October 14, 2004 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

The one gadget that lacked until now. I can use my Ipod, Palm and Mobile phone all over Africa now. I’ll let you know if it’s satisfying , or just another unusefull gadget.

Posted by Martin Heinsius on October 14, 2004 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

jsmoove, I bid $1.00 US for your new-culiar powered iPod battery/radiation suit combo.

Posted by Ultima on October 14, 2004 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

SOLIO…This is awesome technology, very cool!

Posted by mcscribler on October 15, 2004 at 4:03 AM (PDT)

Why would anyone NOT buy this over the other back up batteries?  It is rechargeable from the normal power socket and from the sun.  And it looks super cool!

Posted by Lucy Fowler on October 16, 2004 at 2:09 PM (PDT)

I love the product but I live in Cleveland, the land of no sun.

At least we have an Apple store. :/

Posted by mr billygoat on October 17, 2004 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

This is perfect. No need to buy those battery packs and you can charge other things as well….awesome! Best bang for your buck.

Posted by marley2778 in Palos Verdes, CA on October 18, 2004 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

I so need one of these. I can charge it up and carry it with me wherever. And just 1 wall plug. BRILLIANT!

Posted by Uwern on October 22, 2004 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >