Some iPhone users report 3.0 upgrade bricking | iLounge News

Some iPhone users report 3.0 upgrade bricking

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 18, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

A number of iPhone users, both on Apple’s Discussion boards and in direct emails to iLounge, are reporting that the iPhone OS 3.0 upgrade process left them with bricked devices. According to the reports, users are running the normal upgrade routine, only to have their iPhones or iPod touches hang on the “Connect to iTunes” screen, with seemingly no way to fix the problem. While some users have reported success with putting their devices into recovery mode and reconnecting, Windows users seem to be having a more difficult time with the process; some have been forced to revert back to 2.2.1, while others have been able to successfully connect and sync running 3.0, but only after installing the upgrade via a Mac. One PC user “suspect[s] that the latest v8.2 iTunes Windows installer does NOT properly install the specific recovery drivers needed for USB. These are called iBoot and DFI USB drivers.”

« iPod touch 1G, 2G users: 3.0 Wi-Fi drops, failures

Sirius XM launches iPhone app, minus Howard Stern »

Comments

Hope this helps anyone but I had that problem and found restarting my computer AND iphone solved it.

Posted by AmirS on June 18, 2009 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

I had a weird problem where all my music and videos disappeared (but everything else like apps and photos stayed fine) and iTunes refuesd to recognise my iPod. Thankfully restarting the computer and reconnecting the iPod solved it and I’m a happy 3.0 user!

Posted by NFreak007 on June 18, 2009 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

Charles, The problem was across the board, Mac and PC’s. The iPhones aren’t bricked. The problem was to do with iTunes store it’s self, not the upgrade of new OS 3.0. The issue was iTunes trying to connect to the store to re-activate the iPhone and crashing. I had the issue on my Macbook Pro and PC, eventually getting through. I suspect the problem was caused by Apple’s stupidity of making every time zone wait until California came on line rather than making the update live on the 17th in each time zone which would have staggered the download and activation process - it’s not rocket science Apple, it was obvious your store was going to crash with millions across the planet doing the update at same time!

All seems to be working fine today - I was able to do my wife’s, mums and my touch with no hitches. Last night (UK), was a nightmare - took me 4 hours to get phone activated.

The problem was NOT a Windows issue at all!!! - Mac’s had the same problem whatever you have been told. The iPhone app store (via iPhone) was also not working and kept crashing on downloading apps to phone, so it also was not a a iTunes 8.2 clash with Windows either.

Hope this helps put everyone in the picture.

Posted by sharkhunter on June 18, 2009 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

I had this problem.  Repeated attempts, including rebooting my Windows XP system and reinstalling iTunes 8.2 did not resolve the problem.  What *did* was installing ITunes on another (Windows XP) system and upgrading there.  I’m not sure what the difference is between the two systems.  BTW, once the iPhone was successfully upgraded, it synced just fine with the original machine.

Posted by cottonball on June 18, 2009 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

Same issue here . . . I had a nice long wait with my phone inoperable until the itunes store came back online.  With the massive congestion at the 3G release, I thought surely there was some sort of staggered release in practice for the update.  If they released it everywhere at once, I guess we’re lucky it didn’t get any worse.

Posted by Aaron Echegaray on June 18, 2009 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

My 1st gen 8 gig seems bricked, got the connect to itunes icon, but phone is not recognized by my Mac when I connect it.  Any ideas?

I’ve restarted my Mac and iphone twice!
thanks

Posted by Fcatsf on June 18, 2009 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

Got my iphone working by putting it in restore mode and restarting itunes a few times, switched USB ports, not sure if it helped.

Posted by fcatsf on June 18, 2009 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

Iphone 3g bricked here too!!! Tried DFU, Recovery Mode, everything… but it doesn’t work anymore. Even tried downgrading back to 2.2.1 but error 1600 or error 20 show up. It’s 1 day I’m trying everything to solve this issue, any help??

Posted by Albert on June 18, 2009 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

My original iPhone switch languages on my. DENMARK!

Posted by Nemo on June 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

Running latest version of Vista Basic on my laptop, latest iTunes, and other than the connection problems that happen whenever Apple releases an update and everyone swarms to get it, I had a flawless update. No problems whatsoever on my first-gen iPod touch. Go figure. Didn’t even reboot my laptop before installing, it had been asleep for a couple days previously.

Guess I’m one of the lucky people.

Posted by Daniel S. on June 18, 2009 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

No such issues for me in the upgrade. But after my phone was upgraded, the system Language changed to Dansk. I panicked for a moment, then figured out how to change it back to English relatively quickly.

Posted by Derek on June 18, 2009 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

I updated my 2-year old 1st gen iPhone to 3.0 last night.  Everything worked alright last night and this morning.  HOWEVER, around noon, I was listening to a podcast, and my phone just froze-up.  I couldn’t stop the podcast, the screen went black (but I could still see some faint light).

I went ahead and held down the two buttons to cause the forced reboot, which has always worked in the past when the iphone would become unresponsive.  THIS TIME IT NEVER REBOOTED ALL OF THE WAY, I AM STUCK IN AN ENDLESS “REBOOT, APPLE LOGO, GEAR-WHEEL, THEN REBOOT AGAIN” LOOP!  I can’t stop it from happening, even after connecting to iTunes!

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Wayne Henderson on June 18, 2009 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

Well that was fun!!!

I went in to the apple website on the early afternoon of the 17th and there it was, the message “upgrade on the 17/06/09”! BUT you could not! Well not until California woke up!

Now you did not but that on your website did ya Apple!!!

Now why would Apple do this without the infrastructure to support a mass upgrade??
Because the person in charge is an IT idiot! Some bloody executive has the bright idea, oh I know guys let’s roll this out to the world at the same time!

I (along with most people that wanted this upgrade) don’t live in America never mind California you idiot!

Finally after about 6 hours of trying to get my phone back up a running it worked! 6 effin hours!

And the upgrade went like this

1. Hooked up and went through the “simple” upgrade process.
2. Phone hang’s on the “Connect to iTunes” screen
3. Unplug USB but this does not work
4. Restart laptop but this fails
5. Plug into wall socket (remember something like this with iPod so give this a try) but fails
6. Try hard reset several times but fails
7. Look in device manager a notice that laptop is now missing drivers so go looking for them, then try again but this fails!!
8. GETTIN A BIT ANNOYED AT THIS POINT!!
9. Start trawling through apple fix for error 1601 though done most of them (see above)
10. Remove then reinstall iTunes but this fails
11. Find article on apple site that recommends installing iTunes on 2nd machine, good job I have 2nd machine!!! And it works.
12. Problem is my phone is backed up on 1st machine so things like phone numbers are not on my new upgraded phone! Would be nice to allow contacts/phone numbers to be stored on SIM card or be able to store these away from iTunes!
13. Go back to 1st machine and try to restore phone so I have all my phone contacts BUT this puts phone into a right old mess AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14. Go back (to the future) to 2nd machine and flash phone again to get it working!!
15. spent the 18/06 getting all my contact details back on the phone, manually.
16. Come to ilounge and find I’m not the only person that has suffered problems with Apples straight forward upgrade!
17. Even though I am back on my main laptop (the one that failed upgrading the phone) this is my main laptop and I am using it to sync my phone again, my concern now is will a restore work from my main machine if I need to restore, your guess is as good as mine but after all the work over this phone in the last 24 hours I will wait and try another time to see because put simply, I’M TO BLOODY TIRED TO TRY!!

Love the phone but was it worth it, errr, you decide!

Hindsight says I should have waited a few weeks to see other user report’s on if it’s worth upgrading and the ease of upgrading.

As you all guessed, this is a rant more than a fix and I apologisefor that but needed to get it off my chest! Therapy and all that!!

Posted by Scouse666 on June 18, 2009 at 5:05 PM (PDT)

My iPhone bricked whilst upgrading. from 2.2 to 3.0 here’s how I solved it.

System: Windows vista home premium. iPhone 3G with 2.2 installed. iTunes v8.02.

After upgrading iTunes to version 8.2 as directed by O2, I plugged my iPhone into iTunes and hit the update button to upgrade software. iTunes connected to the web and downloaded iPhone v3.0 and automatically began the install.

Symptom.
About half way through, the install hung and I got the following:

“Unable to restore iPhone. Error 14 Unknown error“ My iPhone was now a door stop.

This happened several times and locked my iPhone in restore mode – completely useless! Scoured web, tried all sorts, including screaming and drinking loads of Tea. What worked was the following:

1. Uninstalled iTunes, apple mobile device driver, bonjour, quick time etc
2. Restarted
3. Cleaned registry using CCleaner
4. Restarted
5. Downloaded new clean version of iTunes 8.2 and installed. Restarted again.
6. Browse to following folder: Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates and deleted the file named iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_restore
Opened iTunes, connected iPhone.
7. Reset the devices Sync history in iTunes preferences
8. Hit update. iTunes downloaded a fresh version of the software and installed fine.
9. Did a re-sync from the earlier iPhone auto back up.

Can now MMS cut and paste and all that other good stuff.

Hope this helps someone!

Posted by Podity on June 19, 2009 at 2:09 AM (PDT)