Some iPhones developing touch-screen issues | iLounge News

Some iPhones developing touch-screen issues

Although the problem does not appear to be widespread, several online reports, as well as a discussion thread on Apple’s support site, indicate that some iPhone owners are experiencing what are being referred to as “dead spots” on the device’s touch-screen. An analyst report has claimed that the rights for the iPhone’s touch-screen technology were purchased from a bankrupt Finnish company that was trying to make a similar device. That company is said to have encountered the problem that with extensive use, the screen’s heat-receptive film would begin to degrade and the screen would lose its sensitivity. Apple, while not yet publicly acknowledging the issue, has reportedly been very quick to replace or repair the problem units. If you have any abnormalities with your iPhone’s touch-screen, please let us know in the comments.

« DICE intros iTPA-220 iPod tube amplifier system

Apple launches My iTunes Widgets »

Comments

I’ve had no problems. I also do not have an iPhone.

Posted by Tommy on August 10, 2007 at 4:22 PM (CDT)

Mine had a problem with touch sensitivity like a couple of weeks ago, but the problem seems to have fixed itself. weird.

Posted by brent on August 10, 2007 at 4:29 PM (CDT)

mine was acting up so i rest it then it was fine i think that is just got bogged down. i also think that turning the phone off on a semi-regular basis might help against this problem to keep it from over heating.

just my 2 cents

Posted by BIGP in Texas on August 10, 2007 at 5:06 PM (CDT)

I had this problem right out of the box with mine. The whole row with You Tube through Weather was not receptive to touch. I was able to just bring it in and get a new one.

Posted by erik on August 10, 2007 at 5:07 PM (CDT)

No problem with mine at all. And I own one.

Posted by unreal on August 10, 2007 at 5:44 PM (CDT)

This is goofy… So Apple’s sold a 1/2 million by now. What’s up with giving the 5 or 6 people all of the attention?

This is a great device and, up to now, my phone’s worked perfectly and kept a battery charge for a full day or more.

Posted by buz on August 10, 2007 at 9:15 PM (CDT)

Yep I had this issue. A band about 1/2 in thick wend dead on my iPhones screen. Took it to apple today and it was replaced with no hassle. The whole process took about 15 mins.  Bad that it happened, but good that it was resolved.  I’m still a happy owner.

Posted by mander on August 11, 2007 at 12:40 AM (CDT)

a friend with an iphone THOUGHT he had that problem but his case(with screen cover) was acting as a second finger in certain spots causing his ipod to be unreceptive. some people problems are pretty much in their brain and not understanding a device fully. but if anyone has problems and has a screen cover tryremoving it and replacing it.

Posted by aj on August 11, 2007 at 12:43 AM (CDT)

I have had intermittent problems with the touch screen right where the slider appears to wake it up or answer a phone call. I’ve actually missed a couple of calls that way.
As I’ve said though, it’s intermittent and sometimes it’ll happen once or twice, but after a couple successive tries it works.
Of course, if I take it to the apple store they probably won’t be able to reproduce the problem…

Posted by scott Cox on August 11, 2007 at 1:40 AM (CDT)

Mine has completely frozen a couple times, once required me to reset the phone by holding the home button and power/sleep button. Boo. :( Sometimes it’s laggy, and sometimes it just doesn’t “sense” me the first time. I’ve missed calls and just generally been annoyed by it.

Posted by Mandy on August 11, 2007 at 2:34 AM (CDT)

The lower part of my screen stopped responding in the keyboard app yesterday.  Only in portrait mode.  E.g. when I touch “Space” it registers as the letter above it rendering it impossible to write an email or sms.  It works fairly well in other apps, but not at all with the kb.

I don’t have an Apple Store near me, so I called Apple support last night and they are sending me a loaner while mine goes in for repair.

A real english speaking person answered on the first ring and she waived the $29 loaner fee.  Inconvenient?  Yes, but not a big deal considering the steps they are taking to correct my problem.

Posted by jb on August 11, 2007 at 7:08 AM (CDT)

i had the exact same problem as jb with my iphone. I was realy frustrated about it. Call apple tech support and offered to look at it and to charge me 29.00 bucks for a lender. I wasnt too crazy about that and they were not foing to wave the fee. So i asked if the process would be faster if i took it an apple store and the lady sajd no but if i wanted it she would make an appointment for the geniuse bar. I said yes. I took it to the apple store, they diagnostic and then they replaced it. Im happy again.

Posted by djJASMAN in California on August 11, 2007 at 1:01 PM (CDT)

If you bought the first generation iPod, would you consider yourself a fool?

Posted by Phil on August 11, 2007 at 2:22 PM (CDT)

I haven’t had any problems with my touch screen but my earpiece has stopped working i have to always answer calls with the headset in or through speaker. Any one else had this problem?

Posted by Matt on August 12, 2007 at 5:57 PM (CDT)

the bottom part of my screen where the dock is and where you unlock the phone is dead so i will being to going to the apple store tomorrow. hopefully to get it replaced.

Posted by BIGP in Texas on August 12, 2007 at 8:00 PM (CDT)

my touchscreen died in less than a week.  first, I thought it was the screen cover I just put on (although it worked earlier in the day with the screen cover on), as it kept opening up youtube by itself and not responding to anything else.  it eventually stopped responding to anything, even after I took it off.  exchanged it for a new iphone, but now this one has wifi/edge issues.  I’ve never had an error-free apple product, so this sort of thing is expected.

Posted by fein on August 12, 2007 at 9:29 PM (CDT)

I don’t think it’s really a “dead spot” issue. I noticed if your finger tips are slightly wet, the on-screen functions don’t recognize your touch.

Posted by wonger on August 13, 2007 at 1:09 PM (CDT)

I had this problem and discovered that by turning off the iPhone (by holding the top bottom for several seconds and then turning it off) and then turning it back on, the problem went away.

Much like PC or Computers, once in a while the need to be rebooted :)

Posted by Stephan on August 14, 2007 at 5:49 PM (CDT)

hey just got a brand new iphone when my screen went out. but i think the main cause was the fact that i fell into the lake with it but the only problems it had after about a min of full submersion was screen issues to they are troopers for sure.

Posted by BIGP in Texas on August 16, 2007 at 6:53 PM (CDT)

I had my iPhone for about a week when my touchscreen died.  I had a horizontal strip running across the blank spont between the clock and the phone buttons.  At first I didn’t notice it due to that part of the scree not being in use on the home screen but making a call brought it to my attention.  Apple was great.  I drove to the store showed them the phone and in less than 30 min I had a new phone and they set it up for me again.  I was truly impressed but I am glad to know I wasn’t the only one.

Posted by Sarah on August 21, 2007 at 6:13 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >