Some Verizon iPhone 5s units having SIM issues? | iLounge News

Some Verizon iPhone 5s units having SIM issues?

iLounge and a number of readers are experiencing SIM card issues with just-delivered Verizon iPhone 5s units. Affected iPhones display a message reading, “The SIM card that you currently have inserted in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server.” The message suggests that the iPhone needs to be used with another SIM card, or unlocked by a carrier, pointing users to Apple for additional information.

image

Telephone calls to Apple have led to mystified AppleCare personnel, and follow-ups with Verizon have had the same results. One reader noted that the Verizon SIM card shipped with the iPhone 5s works in a Verizon iPhone 5.

Update: After seeking solutions throughout the day, a number of users have reported that performing a complete iPhone restore through iTunes may work to resolve the issue. Alternately, phones that reported SIM failures may not have been registered properly in Verizon’s system, leading users to be locked out from activating their phones. Some iPhones, including our unit, spontaneously activated roughly 12 hours after initial purchase. If you’re continuing to have issues, please let us know in the comments.

« Apple notes “incredible” demand, iPhone 5s in short supply

iPhone 5s, 5c, space gray iPod touch unboxing gallery posted »

Comments

Yes, had this issue with my iPhone 5s this morning !
Totally disappointed with apple and verizon.

Such a basic thing, they failed with QC

Posted by Vamsi on September 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

same issue , I cannot return and get a new one as the stock is over now.

Posted by MK on September 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

Same issue, 64GB White iPhone 5s on Verizon.

After trying Apple Care (and abandoning them - the guy did not even realize Verizon shipped sim cards now) I went through Verizon, then Verizon Level 2 tech support, and then they directed me to some senior tech support guy at Apple who seems pretty sharp. He’s talking to their back-end engineers to try and figure out what’s going on.

It does seem to be an Apple or iPhone issue though. The Verizon guy tried transferring my service to the sim that came with the 5s, and that sim then worked in my old 5 without a problem.

I figure that I have until about 7-8pm before I take it back to the Apple store and try to get them to reserve me a replacement from whatever stock they get in the next few days.

Posted by Goldy on September 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

1st I was on with VZW tech support for 2 hours…no luck. They then directed me to go back to the Apple Store. Did that and there were Verizon Reps at the apple store and they said they are aware of the issue and they are working on its resolution. This was @ 12:30 EST…it is now 3:15 EST and still cant use my new 5S.

Posted by MP on September 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

holy crap, they fixed it!

I’ve just randomly hit the “Try Again” button on the activation screen, and it worked!

Posted by Goldy on September 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

Same here Invalid SIM getting really annoying

Posted by Mark on September 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

This has been happening to me since this morning. Verizon kept me on hold for 30 minutes and I have up.

Posted by Jason P on September 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

Since 10:30 Am EST I’m whit this second level tech sup I talk already whit 4 different techk’s they don’t know what they doing for sure it’s 6PM now who thinks this will be fixed today ....who cares about you pay a 700 bucks for a phone, you are the stupid spend all that money and the people of the other side at the line laughing on you for sure VRW SUCKS!!!!!

Posted by Anderson Brazil on September 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

THERE IS A WAY OUT !!

I had this issue in the morning (with my new 5S) as reported on this thread.

In the evening, went back to Apple store (VZN tech folks were still there). VZN guy advises Apple salesperson to cancel my purchase and ring in back the same phone in a specific way (as as off contract phone ) to override/ bypass the existing software glitch in VZN. After which, was able to successfully swap phones retaining current phone line.

Here is timeline for your read:
8:00 am in the line at nearby Apple Store for a 5S, Gold and Silver model stock deplete very quickly in 30 min !
8:00 to 10:40 in the line for my turn
10:40 AM into the store with Apple Buleman ! for space gray 5S
10:40 AM transaction complete and Apple guy unsuccesfully tries to activate the phone. He tried to get a new nano-SIM card as well, but that did not help

11:00 AM Verizon tech in the apple store in-takes the issues
11 AM to 12:40 PM: Verizon tech tries to troubleshoot without any result and pretty much gives up
12:40 PM Left the store with 5S without activation
2 PM: Called Apple 1-800 number, they tell me it’s Verizon’s problem
3:45 PM: Called Verizon Tech support - they advise me to walk into Verizon store to get the phone activated
4 PM: Verizon service tech in store tell me the phone is defective and advised me to return the 5S back to Apple and stick with my old phone !
5:30 PM: Back in Apple store to try for one last time before I give up
6:00 PM: Verizon tech in Apple store advises the Apple guy to cancel my iPhone 5S transaction and re-sell the same phone by overriding something (got store manager go-ahead) and puts in the transaction as a new phone without contract for the Apple system to ‘correctly’ transmit the details so that Verizon system doesn’t get confused !!
6:30 PM: 5S up and running !!!

Just been a joy ride !!

Posted by Vamsi on September 20, 2013 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

I HAD TO HAVE MY 5S REPLACED YESTERDAY, VERIZON HAD ONE SHIPPED FROM THE WAREHOUSE AND IT HAD THIS ISSUE WITH THE SIM CARD, THEY SENT ME TO APPLE, APPLE EXCHANGED THE PHONE AND THE NEW PHONE HAS THE SAME ISSUE….... VERY FRUSTRATING!!!! I’M ON HOLD WITH VERIZON AS I TYPE!!!

Posted by Patricia Daniels on October 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM (PDT)