Sonnet announces PodFreq FM Transmitter for iPod | iLounge News

Sonnet announces PodFreq FM Transmitter for iPod

pic

“Sonnet Technologies, the worldwide leader in processor upgrade cards for Apple Macintosh computers, announces the new PodFreq, a portable FM transmitter designed for serious music freaks with iPods (with dock connectors). PodFreq easily tunes with any available FM frequency, and transmits music from the iPod with a very high-quality signal. The PodFreq is ideal for anyone wanting to listen to the music on their iPod through a FM car stereo, home sound system receiver, or any portable FM radio device.

The PodFreq will begin shipping in May 2004, with an MSRP of $99.95. A Japanese version will also be available in May 2004.”

Press Release

SONNET ANNOUNCES PODFREQ

« CNET launches free music download service

Apple 15GB iPod for $275 »

Comments

hmm…i can’t decide if i love the design or hate it. I’m all about have “high quality FM broadcast” but i can’t hook up a car charger to it at the same time and that’s a big sticking point…i hope someone important can get an early version and review it for us!! Yikes, i hope the high price point is an indication of quality and preformance.

Edit by Jeremy Horwitz, March 2005: iPodlounge has deleted a collection of negative and derogatory comments from “audiogeek” on our site, which we discovered have been posted by a writer for competing publications. As he has trolled and posted obnoxious comments in a number of threads, picking fights with our readers and editors, he has been banned from the site, and we strongly oppose his repeated mischaracterizations of various products and our editorial opinions. This comments thread was affected by his posts, and has therefore been modestly edited. If any of the other comments below do not make sense in the context of these deletions, we apologize.

Posted by iwannanipod on April 26, 2004 at 10:06 AM (CDT)

I agree. I hope this thing works better than my iTrip. If so, I’ll switch for sure.

Posted by steve on April 26, 2004 at 10:43 AM (CDT)

Why would they choose to put a chrome metal telescoping antenna on the thing?  Why not put on a short, white flexible antenna on the thing?

Posted by Obadiah on April 26, 2004 at 10:49 AM (CDT)

I like this - I like this a lot!

I like the idea of using the dock instead of the headphone connection as it’ll make the sound much better.  It’ll help the battery life too as you can turn the volume down.

Nice idea to enable you to dock it inside the case (although you do need to purchase different cables - are there no adapters available?)

One question - when can I buy this in the UK?

Posted by Keith on April 26, 2004 at 11:27 AM (CDT)

Sorry Griffin but there is a new game in town and I’m buying.

SONNET ANNOUNCES PODFREQ

Posted by Sabon on April 26, 2004 at 11:54 AM (CDT)

“but i can’t hook up a car charger to it at the same time and that’s a big sticking point.”

It looks to me like you can charge it in your car or any vehicle with a cigarette adapter and something like Griffin’s PowerPod which I already have.

Posted by Sabon on April 26, 2004 at 12:00 PM (CDT)

$100 for FM quality sound?

For that same amount of money you could buy…

- 5 ($20 each) Monster RCA Y-adapter cables to plug into your stereo or car head unit
- 2 ($50 each) Head unit adapters to convert your disc changer socket into RCA inputs
- 1 ($99) new CD player car stereo with an aux-input located in the front
- 1($99) home stereo receiver that ALLOWS you to connect your iPod to it instead of using FM frequencies

I wonder why people would pay so much when there are so many options for better sound quality.

Posted by Ryan on April 26, 2004 at 12:09 PM (CDT)

itrip > iPodFreq

Posted by ron on April 26, 2004 at 12:18 PM (CDT)

Hey Ryan,

- I don’t have a head unit that I can user the monster cables to plug into my Jeep or Honda GoldWing motorcyce (see my earlier post above).
- same as option 1
- no AUX port in my Jeep or in my motorcycle
- It’s hard to take a home stereo with me in my Jeep or on my motorcycle.

So none of your options works for me and this looks like it will.

Posted by Sabon on April 26, 2004 at 12:20 PM (CDT)

Ooooh! Now my iPod can look like a space robot from the 1950’s! Cool.

Posted by Chimpee on April 26, 2004 at 12:34 PM (CDT)

Sounds pricey, and I think I like iTrip better—smaller! But a high-end FM option, if that’s what this truly turns out to be, is no bad thing!

Posted by Nagromme on April 26, 2004 at 12:47 PM (CDT)

Can I use the iPod

Posted by Jon on April 26, 2004 at 1:14 PM (CDT)

Ugh, no, no, no. That thing is hideous!

Look at the back, then antenna goes straight from the middle!

I think I’ll keep my $100 thank you very much.

Posted by steven on April 26, 2004 at 2:07 PM (CDT)

i guess one can guess that well, the huge antenna means. . . better reception.  I know that with my itrip, you have to get it at a certain angle at a certain level. . .to sound good, without static.  but thats with any FM transmitter, at least that i’ve tried.  Maybe with this beast of an antenna, you wont have to do that, and that’d be nice. . .

though it looks like you could poke someone’s eye out.  Other then the antenna, it looks like a nice product, a case and a transmitter all in one. . .

Still, if i was going on a trip, thats kind of a big thing to pack away. . the itrip is small and well yea.

Can’t wait for a review on this

Posted by j on April 26, 2004 at 3:42 PM (CDT)

Not bad, I wonder how it will look in my new xB :p. BTW how is the quality on the iTrip, is it car friendly?

Posted by Laxdragon15 on April 26, 2004 at 3:48 PM (CDT)

It’s only FM quality sound!! If you think this hideous oversized antenna will make your iPod sound good on your car stereo, then your wrong. Investing $100 in this thing is ludicris. Investing a $100 in any FM trasmitter is ludicris. Invest in a cheaper FM transmitter. Or spend the $100 on an alternative option [minijack/aux input, etc.]  Also, the iPod is a beautiful slim design. Don’t ruin it by buying this thing.

Posted by dylrod on April 26, 2004 at 5:03 PM (CDT)

PRICE PRICE PRICE!!!  I own an iTrip (which works very well, thank you) and I was afraid to fork over the $35 for that.  Now imagine paying $100 for something that’s larger, doesn’t integrate with the iPod (on the screen) and costs $200!  I would buy a whole slew of accessories instead.  My choices:  Griffin iTalk, RadTech PodSleevz, RadTech IceCreme, Griffin iTrip.  That’s $100.  You can get a voice recorder, an FM Transmitter (like the iPodFreq!!!), a case/sleeve, and a cleaner!  Now, why would I spend all of that on one transmitter when I can get that and everything else I could ever need for my iPod for the same price.  I see no point in this product.

Posted by zach on April 26, 2004 at 5:57 PM (CDT)

This product is limited by the fact that it is an FM transmitter.  FM will only sound so good, and I doubt that any one FM transmitter will sound much better than the next.  $100 is way too much.  Bought seperately: iTrip $35, silicone case you can charge/sync thru without removing ~$20.  Where is the deal here?

Posted by A on April 26, 2004 at 6:01 PM (CDT)

So so sad.

It looks like a huge piece of plastic junk, and for that money? No thanks.

Posted by Adam on April 26, 2004 at 6:27 PM (CDT)

Amazingly there IS a HUGE difference between the sound quality coming out of the headphone jack and line-out.

There is also the potential for using much less battery from the iPod this way as you can turn the volume way down and it will use less power.

That, plus the fact that with the iTrip (which I currently own with my 30GB iPod) won’t let you use the remote but the Sonnot will can easily be enough to get me to pay the difference in price. See my post above about riding on a motorcycle.

No I don’t work for either Sonnot or Griffin.

Posted by Sabon on April 26, 2004 at 7:15 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >