Sonnet announces PodFreq FM Transmitter for iPod | iLounge News

Sonnet announces PodFreq FM Transmitter for iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, April 26, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

pic

“Sonnet Technologies, the worldwide leader in processor upgrade cards for Apple Macintosh computers, announces the new PodFreq, a portable FM transmitter designed for serious music freaks with iPods (with dock connectors). PodFreq easily tunes with any available FM frequency, and transmits music from the iPod with a very high-quality signal. The PodFreq is ideal for anyone wanting to listen to the music on their iPod through a FM car stereo, home sound system receiver, or any portable FM radio device.

The PodFreq will begin shipping in May 2004, with an MSRP of $99.95. A Japanese version will also be available in May 2004.”

Press Release

SONNET ANNOUNCES PODFREQ™ FM TRANSMITTER FOR THE iPOD®

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — April 26, 2004— Sonnet Technologies, the worldwide leader in processor upgrade cards for Apple Macintosh® computers, announces the new PodFreq, a portable FM transmitter designed for serious music freaks with iPods (with dock connectors). PodFreq easily tunes with any available FM frequency, and transmits music from the iPod with a very high-quality signal. The PodFreq is ideal for anyone wanting to listen to the music on their iPod through a FM car stereo, home sound system receiver, or any portable FM radio device.

The attractive and integrated design of the PodFreq encases the iPod in a durable, translucent shell, providing added protection to the iPod, while maintaining convenient access to the iPod controls and the headphone jack. PodFreq’s digital tuning enables the user to choose any frequency from 88.3 to 107.7MHz in 0.1MHz steps.

“Sonnet is excited to offer the PodFreq,” states Sonnet CEO, Robert Farnsworth. “iPod owners have been eager to expand their iPod’s versatility with a high-fidelity FM transmitter. The PodFreq is specially designed to transmit music with exceptionally low harmonic distortion and a strong and stable stereo broadcast signal. Furthermore the PodFreq embodies a striking industrial design consistent with the popular iPod.”

The PodFreq utilizes the iPod’s line out signal (instead of the headphone jack) accomplishing superior input level sensitivity from a stable signal volume that ensures a higher signal-to-noise ratio resulting in better fidelity. The user is also able to independently control volume through their FM receiver and headset volume via the iPod. The integrated FireWire and mini USB ports allow the user to synch with iTunes and/or charge the iPod using industry-standard cables without removing it from the PodFreq.

For more information about the PodFreq, please visit the PodFreq website at: http://www.podfreq.com

COMPATIBILITY
The PodFreq is compatible with any iPod, Mac or PC version (with dock connector, excluding the iPod mini).

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY
The PodFreq will begin shipping in May 2004, with an MSRP of $99.95.
A Japanese version will also be available in May 2004.

« CNET launches free music download service

Apple 15GB iPod for $275 »

Comments

what about honda motorcycle division?

Posted by heh on April 26, 2004 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

The iTrip has a better form factor and is a 3rd cheaper.  iTrip = teh win.

Posted by Mountain Man on April 26, 2004 at 6:21 PM (PDT)

Make that a 3rd of the price.  Oh, and I get excellent sound quality from my iTrip in my 2000 Toyota Echo, thank you very much.

Posted by Mountain Man on April 26, 2004 at 6:26 PM (PDT)

bah - just use yer headphones!

Posted by dj on April 26, 2004 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

It looks sorta rediculous….too bad it’s only for 3g I-Pods….us 1-2gers are being forgotten….

/cassette adapter works fine.

Posted by Angry Black Man on April 27, 2004 at 2:51 AM (PDT)

Ryan all of your points are valid and I would definately use any of the options you recommended in my car, but what about when you go on a trip or out to a bar with a friend who doesn’t have an aux input.  Should I iinstall a new stereo in their car just to listen to my iPod?

I won’t argue that the sound quality is great with an fm modulator because we all know that its not, but its convenient and better than nothing when you take your iPod to a friends or are driving in a friends car.  Definately worth the $30 I paid for it…$30 is nothing for the flexibility it gives me.

Posted by Anthony on April 27, 2004 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

“there IS a HUGE difference between the sound quality coming out of the headphone jack and line-out.”

Imagine how much better again it would sound with a digital line out!

I am still baffled. I’ve seen the hardware schematics - there is an SPDIF interface on the hardware. But Apple chose not to expose this, which removes the possibility of crystal-clear audio output from the iPod, and we are left with gimmicks like these FM transmitters and the like. Baffling.

Posted by OutputGain on April 27, 2004 at 6:26 AM (PDT)

What is difference between this and TransPod ? I think Transpod also charges while playing music and it also uses line-out. Lets see how good this one is….

Posted by MJ on April 27, 2004 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

Yes, the sound quality out of the line-out is better than from the headphone jack, but the sound quality from the headphone jack is still better than any FM transmission. So, I doubt you’d be able to hear any difference in the FM transmission between the two.

Posted by Shadow on April 27, 2004 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

My prayers have been answered! Bit pricey though.

Posted by MetalMike on April 27, 2004 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

nevermind, thought it said FM reciever. Still waiting.

Posted by MetalMike on April 27, 2004 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

I remember I tried an iTrip and returned it promptly. It was cumbersome and it sounded crappy. I would have to fumble all the time with syncing the frequency playlist and the FM station.

That was more than a year ago. I’ve had the PodFreq for more than two months and I love it. The signals are much stronger and clearer compared to iTrip making the music sound much more pleasureable to hear. Sure it cost a $100, but it was sure worth it when compared to additional time, energy, and effort in buying and trying additional FM transmitters.

It also transmits beautifully and flawlessly to my home system compared to iTrip making this the gold FM transmitter for me.

Oh yeah, I have to also sync the PodFreq with the radio but that is so much easier with just the digital setting at the bottom. You don’t need to fumble with a playlist like iTrip. Interference? 1) Adjust radio, 2) Adjust PodFreq, 3) Enjoy.

Here’s another item, I don’t see PodFreqs at CompUSA, Apple Stores, Best Buy, Circuit City, and the like which is weird. I came upon it by accident and purchased it on the spot. I would encourage iTrip fans to give it try.

Posted by Peacedog on September 6, 2005 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

I have an IPOG 80 GB and a SONNET IPOD FREQ and another FM transmitter as well.

A) The IPOD FREQ does not modulate the FM signal to the maximum limit. This means the signal is weak on the radio and I have to max out the radio volume, thereby also increasing noise.

B) The IPOD FREQ is made as per USA FM standards and does not have a switch for the ROW standards ( Almost no IPOD Tranamitter has this). I live outside USA so I have a ROW radio in my car. When you play a USA standard FM transmitter, there are problems with the frequency response.

Net result : I think my USD 15 transmitter from China works better than the 100$ IPOD FREQ.

Posted by Vivek on June 1, 2007 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2