Sonos Digital Music System shipping | iLounge News

Sonos Digital Music System shipping

pic Sonos today announced that its Sonos Digital Music System is now shipping. The multi-zone system features a wireless, full-color LCD controller and accesses music—MP3, WMA, AAC and WAV—from a Mac, PC or Network Attached Storage (NAS). The Sonos Digital Music System is comprised of two components: the ZonePlayer, a networked audio player that distributes, plays and amplifies music in any “zone” in the home, and the Sonos Controller, a wireless handheld device with a color screen and iPod-like touch-sensitive scroll wheel that allows the user to control the music from anywhere.

Sonos offers an introductory bundle of two Sonos ZonePlayers and a Sonos Controller for $1,199. Since the system is scalable to up to 32 zones, additional ZonePlayers retail for $499 and additional Controllers cost $399. Speakers are not included with any system.

« Windows: iPod Access 2.0 released

Mix: Made for iPod, Mobile phones, iBear, iPod DJ tips »

Comments

Looks bigger than a mac mini. Pass! ;-)

Posted by nano in The Shore, NJ on January 27, 2005 at 12:25 PM (CST)

If only Apple would let some of these guys play DRMed AAC, then I’d seriously consider buying one. Until then (or until Apple makes one of these themselves), it’s a no go.

Posted by bipto in Minneapolis, MN on January 27, 2005 at 2:05 PM (CST)

What Apple should do is make an iPod sized remote with a screen that works on Wi-Fi and lets you control iTunes, and your music through the Airport Extreme.

Posted by Jazzlawyer in Kelowna, BC Canada on January 27, 2005 at 2:48 PM (CST)

Pretty similar to the airport express/itunes/griffin remote combo thing yah? but a shite load more expensive and it has a pretty screen.

Maybe one day when I have money to do less important things with.

Posted by powerbook17 on January 27, 2005 at 2:50 PM (CST)

This looks like the solution I have been looking for a while.  My airport is great for one room, but I can’t listen to the same song in more than one room.

I have a house with a patio and two floors - would be huge to have 5 rooms of music.

Anyone know anybody that has bought one yet?

It also looks eerily similar to mini-mac.  impressive

Posted by Mega in California on January 27, 2005 at 8:29 PM (CST)

Can you broadcast to multiple AirPort Express stations at once?

Posted by Nagromme on January 27, 2005 at 8:50 PM (CST)

the people that buy these have too much money and time on their hands…. that’s way the f to expensive.

Posted by FluidG4 on January 27, 2005 at 10:51 PM (CST)

“Can you broadcast to multiple AirPort Express stations at once?”

Yes and no…In OS X you can access multiple airport expresses from one machine if you have multiple user accounts – you can access a unique device from each user account you have setup. So, you can play the same song from multiple instances of iTunes (one from each account) to several expresses. However, I have not found a way to make them play in sync.

Posted by podog in Seattle on January 28, 2005 at 12:25 AM (CST)

True that it is a bit pricey, but that is what everyone told me when I bought my first iPod.  I ordered one last night - will keep you all posted.

wondering if the guys that run the lounge will get their hands on one.

Posted by Mega in California on January 28, 2005 at 8:51 AM (CST)

I contacted the Sonos support team in regards to the ability to downloaded itunes protected songs through their digital music player.  The responded in saying that their system does not support apple’s protected songs.  Otherwise, I don’t think the cost is that drastic.  I would buy if the could play Apple’s songs.  I think Apple should come out with a similar product utilizing the click wheel and color LCD screen as well as a universal remote control, a all-in-one solution.  In fact I thought of this months ago and even have a rendering I came up with.  Then I saw his product on the www.ces,org website under best in innovations page.  It always seems that once you think of something, someone has already beaten you to it.  Apple should team up with Logitech and the Harmony remote control team and develop the described item above.  That would be sweet.

Posted by DowntheRoad on January 28, 2005 at 9:10 AM (CST)

Heck, why not just buy an iPod for each room for that kinda money.  Then, you’re not tied to a network.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on January 28, 2005 at 12:30 PM (CST)

The WSJ reports, “... when he demonstrated the Sonos device to Mr. Jobs at the conference, Mr. Jobs said he believed the product might violate Apple patents related to the design of the iPod.” (Paid membership).

Posted by b6662966 on January 31, 2005 at 7:34 AM (CST)