Sony BMG, EMI offer iPod-incompatible CDs | iLounge News

Sony BMG, EMI offer iPod-incompatible CDs

As part of “a growing skirmish between the record labels and digital music master Apple,” both Sony BMG and EMI are releasing more and more copy-protected CDs that can’t be transferred to an iPod.

“CDs with the protective technology prevent users from posting them on the Internet and allow users to burn only three copies onto other discs, which themselves can’t be copied again,” reports Variety. “Sony BMG is already selling about half its discs with the technology, while EMI releases its first this summer. But the technology also prevents consumers from transferring songs onto an iPod… because the technology uses Microsoft’s Windows Media software.”

Variety says that both labels hope to reach a deal with Apple that will allow iPod owners to legally rip and transfer music from the CDs to their iPod for listening on the go.

“By launching the copy-protected CDs without iPod compatibility, the labels are raising the stakes in an ongoing conflict between Apple and the rest of the music business, which wants the tech company to open its proprietary iPod and let others sell antipiracy-protected songs that work on the device,” the publication reports.

« Targus announces new line of iPod gear

FastMac offers ‘longest lasting’ iPod Battery »

Comments

Oh yeah and Augustus Thoo, I think it’s just your computer that’s the problem. Coldplay’s new CD doesn’t say that it’s copy protected, because a copy protected sticker/notice is required of CDs that are copy protected. Don’t write a flame mail to Coldplay with something you can’t back up, because they’ll just tell you that their CD is not copy protected.

Posted by greencoffeebean on June 21, 2005 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

I don’t know man, this seems like a very bad commercial move by the music companies, if for me, I would just buy less of their CDs, and just because the iTMS has not reached my country yet (when when??), by then I would probably totally not own any physical CDs anymore…

Posted by howwow on June 21, 2005 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

I haven’t met a “copy-protected” cd yet that I couldn’t crack by simply holding down the shift key.

Posted by d j on June 21, 2005 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

Not all online stores indicate which CDs are copy protected. In fact, some actually use the compact disc logo next to copy protected CDs. EMI has been specifically forbidden from doing this as their discs are not Redbook compliant. I will not support companies that use this type of technology. The iPod has prompted me to buy many more CDs. This move will put a stop to that.

Posted by Brycej in Canada on June 21, 2005 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

Til now, all those Copy protected CDs worked just fine with my PC and if they started making trouble, I just used a black pen (you know, those thick ones… forgot their name now) and marked the outer area of the CD, the area where all that CD-ROM data was located.

It’s really easy… funny that they had to actually spend money to invent something like that, LOL.

Posted by Kiks on June 21, 2005 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

If you have an OS 9 machine lying around the copy protection schemes won’t work.  Just rip the CD there and transfer the file to your newer Mac.

Posted by Yikes on June 21, 2005 at 11:19 AM (PDT)

Let’s all support non RIAA music like String Cheese Incident and many other fine bands producing quality music on their own.  The RIAA supports the production of “quality” 3-4 minute songs which they force feed us on the radio.  If we choose to buy the music, we then cannot play it as we choose!!

Oh, yeah, it has been proven that music sharing increases sales…

Time for the RIAA to go the way of the dinosaurs!

Posted by Mark on June 21, 2005 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

As for that Autorun thingy…

“A program, that runs without the user’s consent or knowledge, while he is running another program to then interfere with the normal operation of his computer.”

Do you know what this is called?  That’s right, A TROJAN HORSE!

So why don’t Symantec, McAfee, etc. add this program to their defs so that when you try to play it, your AV programs stops the program from running?

Because they will get sued!  That would set a disturbing precedent if the DMCA allowed VIRUS AUTHORS to sue Anti-Virus companies because they block their products.

Then again, if a burglar breaks into your house while you’re home and you beat him to a pulp, he can press charges against you so I guess this is just another example of how wrong the world is getting.

Posted by MrZebra on June 21, 2005 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

Perhaps Apple Computer with its outstanding software and hot selling iPods will put the RIAA out of business!!

Posted by Mark on June 21, 2005 at 1:34 PM (PDT)

Bob Levens,  thanks for the links.

Hmm.. I am running AnyDVD and I think that bypasses a lot of the CD protection as well..

Posted by psxp on June 21, 2005 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

re: the Coldplay CD. I bought an English copy, which isn’t copy-protected. But the version released here in New Zealand (along with basically every release by EMI) is copy protected, For some reason the US and UK seem to be (thankfully) lagging behind Europe and South East Asia in the copy protected CD stakes.

I get UK imports of all EMI releases now. My Mac actually handles copy-protected CDs ok, I just don’t buy them on principal

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on June 21, 2005 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

To all you who held down the shift key and copied the new Foo Fighers to their Ipod…

Have you listend to the songs???

They are all scrambled!!!

Geoff

Posted by Geoff on June 21, 2005 at 3:38 PM (PDT)

The RIAA has long maintained that when you buy a CD, you do not own the songs on it. You own a “license” to listen to it, and the record companies can dictate when, where, and how you listen to it. They’ve been this way since the cassette was first invented.

I don’t agree with their position one iota, but I doubt a boycott is going to force them to change their minds. People who refuse to pay for downloads will always buy the CD if it’s a favorite band. If you do pay for music downloads, the record company still gets paid. If you download the tracks illegally from P2P, it will only encourage the RIAA to beef up it’s lawsuits or its copy protection.

It’s a no win situation, but the media is already out there with the stories that it’s the record company’s causing this trouble. One can only hope that this will be a huge PR problem for them, and they’ll either fix the problems to improve compatibility, or the CD technology will change to accommodate the record industry, but I won’t be holding my breath

Posted by dcmacnut on June 21, 2005 at 3:53 PM (PDT)

In terms of the Velvet Revolver Contraband CD, it ripped fine using iTunes on my PC.  The “protection” is as close to worthless as it gets.

Posted by ards on June 21, 2005 at 5:27 PM (PDT)

Posted by Andrew on June 21, 2005 at 6:08 PM (PDT)

“Here’s a novel concept: avoid copy protected CDs by purchasing the music from the iTMS! All of these CDs are from major labels anyway so its not like you won’t find them. As an added bonus, you’ll probably save a couple of bucks because the iTMS album costs about $5.00 less!”, said andrew

Yeah i totally get your point. but for me personally, i prefer to listen to my music at higher bitrates and having a back up of my music on a purchased cd.
Just having those options are the kind of benefits i feel entitled to when purchasing music.

Posted by brian on June 21, 2005 at 8:47 PM (PDT)

On the topic of returning these copy protected CD’s to stores like Target or Best Buy.  Most stores have to follow copywrite laws and if you return an open CD and say it doesn’t work they have to exchange it for the exact same CD.  I used to work for Target and people would bring in CD’s and we would have to exchange it for the exact same CD.  I felt for these people but I didn’t want to loose my job.

Posted by Jon on June 21, 2005 at 9:10 PM (PDT)

haha, as smart as they want to look, people can get around that EASILY. I wonder if they have heard of Cool Edit and adjusting the recording settings to stereo out…....

Posted by Nate on June 21, 2005 at 11:08 PM (PDT)

after reading a bulk of the comments, i decided to say…

im waiting til the day they put everything on vinyl again. 1- because it is REAL ANALOG MUSIC 2- it will make the art of mixtapes arrise again 3- and pirates will now have to work that much harder to put it on a computer…

Posted by Nate Again on June 21, 2005 at 11:22 PM (PDT)

Last night, I managed to rip it using black insulating tape. Track 13 (bonus) is unreadable and 12 got distortion near the end.

to greencoffebean: I guess I won’t send that mail anyway.

Did anyone ever thought this issue sounds a lot like GE-food issue?

Food and music have been around since the dawn of mankind. And now some greddy people start placing tech-roadblocks on these two for whale-### profit.

Think about it.

Posted by Augustus Thoo in Malaysia on June 22, 2005 at 3:25 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >