Sony BMG, EMI offer iPod-incompatible CDs | iLounge News

Sony BMG, EMI offer iPod-incompatible CDs

As part of “a growing skirmish between the record labels and digital music master Apple,” both Sony BMG and EMI are releasing more and more copy-protected CDs that can’t be transferred to an iPod.

“CDs with the protective technology prevent users from posting them on the Internet and allow users to burn only three copies onto other discs, which themselves can’t be copied again,” reports Variety. “Sony BMG is already selling about half its discs with the technology, while EMI releases its first this summer. But the technology also prevents consumers from transferring songs onto an iPod… because the technology uses Microsoft’s Windows Media software.”

Variety says that both labels hope to reach a deal with Apple that will allow iPod owners to legally rip and transfer music from the CDs to their iPod for listening on the go.

“By launching the copy-protected CDs without iPod compatibility, the labels are raising the stakes in an ongoing conflict between Apple and the rest of the music business, which wants the tech company to open its proprietary iPod and let others sell antipiracy-protected songs that work on the device,” the publication reports.

« Targus announces new line of iPod gear

FastMac offers ‘longest lasting’ iPod Battery »

Comments

Didn’t check to see if this was posted—but you should be able to hold down the shift key (on PCs) while you insert the disc—this will prevent any programs from auto-running (this include Sony/BMG copy protection).  You should then be able to rip it using iTunes or whatever.

Posted by wirenode on June 22, 2005 at 9:16 AM (CDT)

I’m quite curious as to how to bypass the copy protection on CDs. So far I get the feeling that the two most popular methods are the Sharpie trick and the Shift Key. I know this sounds kind of dumb, but could someone post some semi-detailed instructions on how to do these things? After all, I don’t feel like taking my Sharpie to the Foo Fighters’ new double album and risk ruining two CDs!

Posted by Andrew on June 22, 2005 at 9:38 AM (CDT)

I went to buy the new Foos, saw it was copy protected, didn’t buy it.  Figured I’d download it from iTunes.  When I got home I realized it 18 bucks.  18! That’s ridiculous.  Good job RIAA, I went to ISO hunt and downloaded it for free.

Posted by Mike Kaz on June 22, 2005 at 9:53 AM (CDT)

I bought 2 new “DUAL DISKS” from Sony….Bruce Springsteen…nad Rob Thomas….neither will play on my computer…never mind rip to my Ipod(60-photo).
I sent them both back to Sony…appx. 2 weeks later I receive them back “Sorry…these are produced by BMG for us…deal w/ them”...not exact words…but close…I am ready to go to Best Buy and cram them down theis throats…
DO NOT BUY DUAL DISKS(they play everyplace else fine)...

Posted by crschol7 on June 22, 2005 at 4:07 PM (CDT)

OK. So, Dave and the Foo Fighters have CDs that won’t initially import into iTunes because the company wants to have the files protected. BUT you can rip the songs into WMP and convert, burn a new cd and put that into iTunes and it reads the songs as MP3s. OR you can purchase the same music from iTunes and burn it to CD as many times as you wish… No matter what the record companies do these stupid restrictions are just a waste of money for them, and for those who don’t know how to work around the protection. Buy the CD, buy the iTune, it makes no difference. You can burn a CD after converting to mp3 and p2p all you want… Wow, all that CD protection money down the drain.

Posted by tiredofthehasselbutwillingtoputupwithit on June 22, 2005 at 4:35 PM (CDT)

If you bought a CD and you can’t crack the copy protection, just download a FLAC version of the album off of a P2P network.  After all, you own the music.

Posted by fidficus on June 22, 2005 at 5:43 PM (CDT)

“Most stores have to follow copywrite laws and if you return an open CD and say it doesn’t work they have to exchange it for the exact same CD.  I used to work for Target and people would bring in CD’s and we would have to exchange it for the exact same CD.  I felt for these people but I didn’t want to loose my job.”

That’s fine. So you accept the trade they offer, and then bring IT back as defective to trade back in again on one that’s supposedly not, and so on, until they’re out of fresh copies. Pretty soon they don’t have any left at all to sell. That works fine for me.

Or, alternatively, they can stop selling defective CDs. That works, too.

If they insist on selling defective products, it’s their problem, not mine.

Posted by Michael on June 22, 2005 at 11:21 PM (CDT)

Too true, tiredofthehasselbutwillingtoputupwithit. You got it exactly right. If you’re going to buy them just buy them on iTunes and make as many copies as you want. F U C K the RIAA, F U C K them in their big stupid asses.

Posted by Jack Dawson on June 23, 2005 at 7:45 PM (CDT)

fidficus, and Michael are correct as well.

Posted by Jack Dawson on June 23, 2005 at 7:47 PM (CDT)

Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4