Speck Products announces FlipStand for 4G/HP iPods | iLounge News

Speck Products announces FlipStand for 4G/HP iPods

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, September 14, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picToday Speck Products announces the FlipStand see-thru hard case for Apple and HP’s fourth generation iPod (iPod with Click Wheel). The FlipStand will ship to customers on September 30th and can be pre-ordered now on Speck’s website for $29.95. The all clear FlipStand provides protection while allowing access to the scroll wheel and song control buttons. Flip open the scroll wheel door to change music selections, then flip it all the way back and it becomes a desktop stand.

« STM releases 4G/HP skins for iPod Cocoon

Yahoo to buy MusicMatch for $160 million »

Comments

One of the nicest looking case for 4G iPod to date, and affordable too (same price as iSkin eVo2).

Would have bought this if I have not ordered my Vaja i-Vod4G.

Posted by iJeff on September 14, 2004 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

It sure does look nice, but is it strong? Plastic of this kind normally scratches/cracks pretty easily = Also, i wonder how well the fit inside the case will be. Anyone had experience with this case…could you please tell me bout ur experience?

Thanks

Posted by gizmoe on September 14, 2004 at 5:27 PM (PDT)

I bought one of these for my 3rd generation iPod, and it scratched the hell out of it.  also having to flip the thing down to be able to access the wheel was a pain, and there’s the hinges on the bottom of the back whith stick out pretty far.  I hated this case personally, but if they are still making them. . which they have since the 2nd generation ipods came out, then someone must like them.

Posted by none more bush on September 14, 2004 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

I think the case is Polycarbonate (aka Lexan) which is the toughest clear plastic around. gizmoe, you might be thinking it is the more brittle Acrylic—it is not.

The fit is pretty good, but if you’re really worried about the iPod itself getting scratched up you can always put your business card or something like that inside.

My question is: When your iPod finally stops working, will you still keep it because there isn’t a SINGLE SCRATCH on it?  Gimme a break you-who-idolize-shiny-plastic as if it were Waterford or Baccarat!

Posted by smap77 in Menlo Park, CA on September 15, 2004 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

the 3g flipstand scratched the front of myipod up horribly.

smap77- when the scratches are all over the viewing screen, then yeah, i get a little upset.

I don’t know if they’ve improved this case at all but I would stay far far away.

Posted by dave on September 15, 2004 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

i had the same scratching problem also. And got a refund on the case from speck. I can’t believe they haven’t changed the design. I personally think it’s ugly in the flesh too. If you need a case the contour case is a (not perfect) but better bet.

Posted by cessil on September 16, 2004 at 4:21 AM (PDT)

specks makes some pretty shoddy products. i have never seen a positive review for any of their cases. they will probably go out of business soon, hopefully.

Posted by asdf on September 16, 2004 at 5:06 AM (PDT)

I have the flipstand for my 2nd gen. It’s not clear, but I never had any scratches on mine.

Posted by revmike in hanford, ca on September 16, 2004 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

um always put a static cling clear sheet on yer screen and it will take the abuse.  Works for me.  Any case will get dust, dirt and sand particles in it eventually, too. And you can see the Sheet through the case.  invisible!

Posted by sploosh on October 21, 2004 at 8:25 PM (PDT)