Speck Products ships SkinTight case for 4G iPods | iLounge News

Speck Products ships SkinTight case for 4G iPods

The SkinTight iPod Skin provides protection against dust, knocks, and scratches. It’s made out of a superior shock-absorbing, tear-resistant KRATON plastic, which will last a long a time. This is the first protective skin that features a flex-away flap, allowing it to work with the iPod dock. Speck SkinTight rubberized skins come in 3 Colors (frosted clear, blue, and pink) and can be purchased individually for $19.95 or as a 3-Pack for $29.95.

« Free 2004 RNC speeches on iTunes

Mac: iPodRip 3.5 released »

Comments

these things look like crap!

Posted by diddy on September 1, 2004 at 12:25 PM (CDT)

gotta say: b-ugly…  sorry.

Posted by mvague on September 1, 2004 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

I’m hopiong they’re at least marginally better than the eraser-like cases that Speck is known for.  Those things are gross.

Looking at the pictures on Speck’s website for these cases, they look god-awful.  I’m hoping Lajo releases something soon.  Even if his cusomer service leaves something to be desired, his cases are top-notch, and I personally haven’t ever had a problem with not receiving my order.

Posted by dethbrakr on September 1, 2004 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

They’re not great but I’ve seen worse.  Either way, beats hauling around your 4G in a gym sock.

Posted by ape on September 1, 2004 at 1:17 PM (CDT)

I like how the links for the colors are broken.  A sign of a reputable company for shizzle

Posted by Jayce on September 1, 2004 at 1:17 PM (CDT)

ummmmmmm…..no thanks.

Posted by whatever on September 1, 2004 at 1:17 PM (CDT)

Why doesn’t Apple simply design their 5G iPod with a scratch resistant casing? Probably to keep these offspring companies in business selling cases, skins and covers. It’s all about the $.

Posted by purple on September 1, 2004 at 1:29 PM (CDT)

purple, I couldn’t agree more.

I don’t understand why Apple have to use the most scratch-proned plastic on such an expensive and whatever else gizmo.  A friend of mine has an Archos (and it’s needless to say that a case would only make it more pathetic), and there are no scratches on its screen at all.  I keep my iPod in an iSkin constantly, and I still have a few.  I think the anodized mini was a step in the right direction, but they took the step back with the 4G.

Posted by dethbrakr on September 1, 2004 at 1:39 PM (CDT)

Hey there- it’s Amy from Speck Products. Thanks for all of your comments, we actually read them. If you think our cases are gross or ugly, tell us why!! Then we’ll know what features are desireable (or not) to you, and what to look into as far as improvements and modifications.

Meanwhile, our bestselling 3-pack of skins will be available nationwide in The Apple Store and CompUSA within the next few weeks.

We’ve engineered or skins to better fit both sizes of 4G ‘pod, giving the skin a more flexible, less ‘eraser’ like quality. We’re also working on our broken image links this week, but have been seriously focused on actually shipping our skins; thousands since yesterday!

Please keep your questions and comments coming!

thanks!

Amy
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
650-463-8914

Posted by Amy on September 1, 2004 at 2:32 PM (CDT)

I love the new Speck case.  It does not have all the annoying cutouts and other details that are ridiculous from an industrial design standpoint.  It is simple, like the iPod.

I can even dock my iPod without taking it out of the case.  Now, that is a great innovation.

I love the material.  It does not smell nasty like the silicon cases - yukk, and it has a great feel - not all sticky like silicon.

Finally - I have a case for my iPod.  NOW.  That is awesome.

Posted by yurdaddy on September 1, 2004 at 2:34 PM (CDT)

hey, amy…keep your resume sharp. i don’t see this company having a windfall year.

Posted by advise on September 1, 2004 at 3:35 PM (CDT)

Amy, if you’re reading this, I notice that your area code is 650. Is Speck located south of San Francisco?

Posted by Chris on September 1, 2004 at 3:39 PM (CDT)

Those are terrible. Look at the clickwheel fit. It is not even aligned correctly!

Posted by jbaker12 on September 1, 2004 at 3:40 PM (CDT)

Just noticed you guys are in Palo Alto. Cool!

Posted by Chris on September 1, 2004 at 3:40 PM (CDT)

What? Do most of the posters above work for Lajo or something???

I have a 3G case by Speck and it is THE BEST out there. Speck is all about minimalistic simple design. A slim, functional case that you can actually use with the dock. No ugly extra features that bulk the iPod up like belt clips, belt clip studs, hand straps, (and that idiotic little ring thing on the left side of the eXo cases by lajo, what the heck is that useless thing for, no wonder people are cutting it off! bungee cord? what are we, 6 years old?)

Lajo.biz even stole the Speck dock connector flip cover design in its eXo flp case… so that you could use it in the dock… Speck has always been able to use in the dock.

And Lajo also finally implemented Flat Back on their mini cases, Speck cases have always been flat back with no belt clip stuff, just non slip grip ridges..

See pics of the 3G version at http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/speckproducts-ipod-skin-review.html

When I first saw the comments above for this 4G version, I thought, “darn, Speck screwed up this time!”, but when I look at the picture of it, it looks just like the Speck 3G case, just updated for the 4G, which is awesome!

And don’t tell me about imperfect websites, sure the color links are broken, but that’s a minor problem.. TAKE A LOOK AT LAJO.BIZ! LOLOLOL, the whole thing’s a big screwup, how the heck do you navigate that junk!?

I will be getting this skin for my new 4G!!!!

Posted by spirit on September 1, 2004 at 4:01 PM (CDT)

Is it just me, or does it appear that there may be some “undercover” advertising in here?

Posted by Kevin on September 1, 2004 at 5:07 PM (CDT)

Would the posters who are claiming that this case is ugly, looks like crap, etc. please explain their comments?

It looks very similar to the products of the competitors - so I guess the posters think that ALL of the skin-style cases are ugly?

And a comment that the clickwheel is not aligned correctly? Simply from looking a picture on the website.

Give me a break. I’d much prefer to hear feedback from actual customers who have purchased and are using the product they are commenting on.

I think what’s “ugly” and “like crap” is people making unsubstantiated comments on products they don’t have any experience with.

(And I agree with Spirit - the Lajo web site appears to be designed by someone with no experience in creating an intuitive user interface - it’s a nightmare to navigate!)

Posted by Dan on September 1, 2004 at 5:40 PM (CDT)

I must admit that I was going to buy a Speck 4G case for my new iPod instead of the iSkin eVo2.  Why?  Because Speck engineered the case to be able to be used with the Dock.

And here we come to the “was” part.  The sole reason I decided against purchasing the new Speck skin in favor of the eVo2 was because it didn’t have an LCD cover.

Now, to all you who are saying “this is fugly” etc., please remember that they aren’t made to win a beauty contest.  They are made to be a simple and elegant solution to keeping your shiny new iPod from getting scratched up.

Speck, improve on that one point I mentioned above and I may just have to purchase a Speck case for my next iPod…

—Dan Cassidy

(BTW, thanks for answering my question so quickly, Amy.)

Posted by Stryfe in South Bend, IN on September 1, 2004 at 5:56 PM (CDT)

The Speck case IS less expensive than the EVO2. If you’re concerned about protecting teh screen, you can buy a JavoEdge screen protector for $5.00. So you could buy the Javoedge screen protector AND the Spec skin case and still spend less money.

I actually prefer the look of the screen with the JavoEdge screen protector. I think it’s easier to read and less glare that the ones that come with the EVO2 skin.

Posted by Dan on September 1, 2004 at 7:23 PM (CDT)

i dunno about ugly.  the colors could be more vibrant.  pale blue and pink don’t do it for me.  does it have a screen protector?  clear is alright.  a really thin case with no design (but maybe air pours) would be great.

Posted by Exvicious in Schaumburg, IL on September 1, 2004 at 7:32 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >