Speck Products ships SkinTight case for 4G iPods | iLounge News

Speck Products ships SkinTight case for 4G iPods

The SkinTight iPod Skin provides protection against dust, knocks, and scratches. It’s made out of a superior shock-absorbing, tear-resistant KRATON plastic, which will last a long a time. This is the first protective skin that features a flex-away flap, allowing it to work with the iPod dock. Speck SkinTight rubberized skins come in 3 Colors (frosted clear, blue, and pink) and can be purchased individually for $19.95 or as a 3-Pack for $29.95.

« Free 2004 RNC speeches on iTunes

Mac: iPodRip 3.5 released »

Comments

You can buy little screen protectors for $2 at any Staples. Granted, they’re used for PDA’s, but they do the same thing.

As far as these cases go, they’d be a perfect buy. They aren’t too flashy, but they get the job done and cost less—WITH the option to dock. Folding over the iSkin to be able to dock it is just SO unacceptable. It also leaves room for many jokes about circumcision.

.narco

Posted by narco in Burbank on September 1, 2004 at 8:40 PM (CDT)

All right…I just put one of these on my iPod, and here’s what I think:

It’s not a bad iPod case, but it suffers from some limitations. The cutout at the top isn’t sized in a way that can accomodate my iTrip, which is a problem. A bigger problem is that there’s a gap, in back towards the bottom, at the joint where it folds open to allow you to dock the iPod. It’s not big, but it kind of makes me wonder how useful this case is at protecting the case from scratches, when this gap is definitely big enough to let in dirt or whatever.

And of course, as previous reviewers have noted, there’s no screen protection built in.

This case is better than nothing, but better products are on the way.

Posted by Steve on September 1, 2004 at 9:25 PM (CDT)

While I don’t agree that the design itself is ugly (I don’t have one in my hand and pictures can’t do design justice), the colors need some work.  First of all, there are only 3.  If you’re going to compete with the iSkin, having more colors seems like the best way to beat them with internet sales.  Also, they seem kinda dull.  My iPod is shiny and pretty, so I don’t really want to stick something dull and boring on top of it.  Birghter colors would brigten up the whole, including the deal.  And screen protection.  Holy crap, screen protection.  iPods need their screens to be protected, so how hard is it really to put a piece of optic quality plastic in the hole that’s already been cut?

Posted by Alden on September 2, 2004 at 12:47 AM (CDT)

Definately not worth my money. Bad design esp for docking with dock as you still have to somehow take ‘drop that pants’. Rather get a nice pouch.

Posted by JingYou in SINGAPORE on September 2, 2004 at 5:06 AM (CDT)

@.narco and Dan: I agree that I could simply buy a PDA screen protector, I’m looking for something that provides pierce protection, not simply scratch protection, and unfortunately, the soft covers just don’t do that.  I’ve simply accepted that I’m not going to be able to dock with the eVo2.  (At least, not without some hefty manipulation.)

—Stryfe

Posted by Stryfe in South Bend, IN on September 2, 2004 at 6:48 AM (CDT)

Interesting to read all your comments. I’ve yet to buy a cover for my 4G, but I reckon the EVO2 looks to be a better skin.
People say you can get this product and that product for less money than EVO2. I’ve just spent the best part of 250 quid on this this. I don’t car about £10 here or there, as long as the product is RIGHT. This is the same reason that I chose a 20Gb 4G iPod rather than a 128Mb Creative MuVo.

Posted by Macfool in Kent, UK on September 2, 2004 at 6:59 AM (CDT)

what a piece… Its all about presentation when it comes to accessories like this. It looks like speck spent all its time and effort trying to create a product that supported 20G and 40G instead of going for what consumers want. Is it so bad to offer two types of the same model? Did you save that much overhead trying to engineer a “universal” skin? The website is poor; the pictures and layout look like they’ve been taken/drawn by a kindergartner who hasn’t learned to color in the lines yet. In a market where competition is heated, speck doesn’t even name their skin. What do you call this thing? It would be important for consumers, especially on this site, to be able to refer to your skin, instead of saying “that skin made by speck” or whatnot. I’m starting to wonder if speck put any money in marketing or maybe they were just trying to save more money by having their dumbfounded engineers do it in their spare time.

Posted by ipodfocus on September 2, 2004 at 8:58 AM (CDT)

I think it is called “SkinTight”.  Those seem to be the biggest words on the package.
...and mentioned twice in the original post.

Posted by smap77 in Menlo Park, CA on September 2, 2004 at 10:20 AM (CDT)

Perhaps a couple of objective product reviews of both the Exo iSKin
and the Speck case
would be appropriate to post for those interested in making a decision on which one to buy.

Posted by Dan on September 2, 2004 at 11:35 AM (CDT)

DAN FIRST IMPRESSIONS ARE EVERYTHING. IF I THINK IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP, CHANCES ARE A COUPLE OF MILLION OTHER PEOPLE THINK THE SAME. I DONT NEED TO HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THE PRODUCT, IF I DONT LIKE THE LOOK OF IT, IM NOT GOING TO SPEND MY MONEY ON IT AND NEITHER ARE OTHER PEOPLE.

Posted by DIDDY on September 2, 2004 at 11:56 AM (CDT)

Thanks for those sites, Dan.  I’m still unable to make a decision, though.  I love to use the dock to charge but I want screen protection.

Speck, if you are listening - can you add screen protection (and some other colors, while you’re at it)?

Posted by pkrug on September 2, 2004 at 12:00 PM (CDT)

Diddy,

No need to yell.

I personally don’t care which product people use. I’m just trying to encourage rational discussion based on facts, rather than blanket, general statements like “it’s ugly” or it “looks like crap”.  (Especially when it looks very much like the products of competitors that are not being characterized in the same way).

And would disagree with you that you don’t need experience with a product to truly evaluate it. Many times a product looks/feels very different in person that it looks in a photo.

Do you think the iSKin from Evo - which looks very similar in design to Speck’s product - is also ugly?

Posted by Dan on September 2, 2004 at 12:19 PM (CDT)

I guess what made me comment, which was a rude comment, I admit, was the folding bottom thing. It seems that unless you use the dock (which I don’t), it would just kinda have a slice in it and eventually hang open a little…  just seems there are better options.

but…  lesson learned… I’ll be more polite from now on.

Posted by mvague on September 2, 2004 at 12:52 PM (CDT)

Mvague - The the folding bottom thing is exactly what attracts me to this case, as I DO use the dock a lot.

Based on the positive reviews I’ve seen elswhere, and the ability to easily dock the iPod, I think I’m going to give it a try.

Just goes to show . . . different strokes for different folks. I’ll post when I receive mine and let everyone know what I think of it.

Posted by Dan on September 2, 2004 at 2:32 PM (CDT)

cheers!

Posted by mvague on September 3, 2004 at 8:56 AM (CDT)

I just got one for my 20g 4g, not bad, not perfect, but for my purposes, it’s way better for me than the belkin leather thingy I had where I couldn’t access anything without opening the front, and the case bulked up the entire production so it was like george on seinfelds wallet… too big! needs screen protector for sure tho…. i made my own… so far so good, and if it gets scratched (and it will) I can make another… overall, 7 out of 10, more colors needed!

Posted by alanm on September 3, 2004 at 2:59 PM (CDT)

Well, I just got mine today.

I like it a lot. Since I use a JavoEdge screen protector, the lack of screen protection is not an issue for me. I DO like how easy it is to pull back the bottom of the skin so I can dock it.

My only negative is that the bottom rear of the skin pouches out a little and doesn’t fit quite as tight as the rest of the skin.

But I’m generally pleased with my purchase and would recommend you consider it if you want a skin for your iPod and the ability to easily dock it is important to you.

Posted by Dan on September 3, 2004 at 6:30 PM (CDT)

Just got mine now. It looks and feels great on my 4G ipod! Its simple and provides some protection to my ipod. I like the feel whenever i hold it coz it prevents my ipod from slipping in my hand.

How can some people not even try it before even saying its ugly? I recommend it to anyone who has the 4G.

Posted by Jake on September 6, 2004 at 3:04 AM (CDT)

I have the Speck case for the mini—the one that came with the armband.  I love it as you can keep it on, in the case, when wearing the armband while excercising.  After, just snap it off and the ipod is still “protected” in the frosted case.

Lisa

Posted by Lmcm2108 in USA/Louisiana on September 11, 2004 at 10:28 AM (CDT)

Just got the case for my 4G iPod.  It’s a snug fit, looks decent enough, and truly protects the iPod from scratches.  The foldout bottom is a good idea.

This may not be the ultimate iPod case, but what it promises to do, it does rather well.  And the colors are more muted than on the website and look good on the device.

Posted by Paul V on September 11, 2004 at 6:27 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2