SpeckTone Retro iPod speaker system debuts | iLounge News

SpeckTone Retro iPod speaker system debuts

image

Speck Products has announced the SpeckTone Retro, a new iPod speaker system with vintage styling. “SpeckTone Retro looks like nothing you’ve seen for the iPod. The clean lines and nostalgic elegance of 1950’s style makes a statement without replicating or competing with the modern, sleek look of the iPod itself,” says Speck. The $150 speaker system features a top-mounting iPod dock, 28 watt output, a 4” subwoofer and two 3” drivers, and support for 4G and 5G iPods, the iPod nano and iPod mini. SpeckTone Retro’s all-wood speaker cabinet is available in three high-gloss lacquered finishes—green/brown, black/black and white/silver. It will begin shipping in June.

« Apple’s included iPod sleeves go from gray to black

Apple planning iPod gaming system? »

Comments

Pretty neat.  looks like the retro apple hifi.

Posted by simon on May 30, 2006 at 9:28 AM (CDT)

I really like the look of this, but no wireless remote?

Posted by B.Mick on May 30, 2006 at 9:35 AM (CDT)

i hope this speaker system gets a good review for both sound and functionality.  i also second the above comment - no remote???

Posted by boochydog on May 30, 2006 at 9:44 AM (CDT)

there were no remote in those days… ;) I think it’s ugly..

Posted by Dzign on May 30, 2006 at 10:09 AM (CDT)

Did they even HAVE remotes in the 50’s?

Posted by ahMEmon on May 30, 2006 at 10:09 AM (CDT)

actually, i would like the remote to be as big as fox mulder’s cel phone in the early episodes..

Posted by boochydog on May 30, 2006 at 10:18 AM (CDT)

I personally hate the whole 50’s retro aesthetic, whether it’s in furniture, clothing or electronics.  This is One Ugly Box (OUB) in my humble opinion.

Posted by eben on May 30, 2006 at 11:00 AM (CDT)

Uglier than the iPod Hi-Fi…...at least it’s cheaper! :P

Posted by hoho on May 30, 2006 at 11:34 AM (CDT)

check out the web site… it comes in black and white/grey. looks a lot better in those colors. the price is tempting, even with no remote. i’m looking forward to reading a first look or a full review.

Posted by antgoo in Georgia, USA on May 30, 2006 at 12:33 PM (CDT)

Wow. I seem to remember my parents had a washing machine in that shade of green (dryers were rare birds in the early 1960’s for most folk). Deja vu all over again, not that that’s a good thing, mind you.

Posted by flatline response on May 30, 2006 at 1:22 PM (CDT)

That looks soo kitsch.

Posted by Real Reply on May 30, 2006 at 2:06 PM (CDT)

Atleast they don’t say “A new speaker system made for audiophiles”.  Lots of points for that one :)

It is pretty damn ugly though, even in black and/or white.

Posted by Scott on May 30, 2006 at 4:42 PM (CDT)

Pretty darn cool looking!  I hope they don’t bundle a remote with this, and maybe the sound will be audiophile quality!

Posted by Dort on May 30, 2006 at 5:13 PM (CDT)

I knew it! I knew the pictures were of a retro stereo system (or I did, at the very least, have my suspicions)! Now, iLounge, tell me: did I win one?

Posted by larkbird on May 30, 2006 at 7:27 PM (CDT)

It will look really cool alongside a Fender Telecaster. Now I want it in blonde/black…

Posted by BradPDX in Portland, OR USA on May 30, 2006 at 7:45 PM (CDT)

I like the chartreuse version best. Yeah… I said chartreuse, lol! No remote though is a problem. eban, I’d invite you over for a daiquiri, but you’d have a real hard time keeping it down at my pad, a real hard time.

Peace.

Posted by MacModerist on May 30, 2006 at 8:56 PM (CDT)

I like this system, but then I have a taste for the late fifties modern design.  If the sound quality is good I will be tempted.  As I probably would use this bedside, a remote is of little importance for me, but I would liked to have seen a radio tuner integrated.

Posted by SouthernGothic on May 31, 2006 at 6:51 AM (CDT)

No remote is a problem…why couldn’t they have embedded a remote in one of their iGuy’s and called it SpeckDork Remote?: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/speck-products-iguy-ipod/

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on May 31, 2006 at 2:28 PM (CDT)

“They didn’t have remotes in those days”

Nope, didn’t have iPods either… or digital sound.

Posted by theslownorris on June 2, 2006 at 9:52 AM (CDT)

Should sound pretty good but that
green tone does have a familiar tint
a la radio shack salesperson attire circa 1950’s

Posted by steve on June 3, 2006 at 9:00 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >