SpeckTone Retro iPod speaker system now shipping | iLounge News

SpeckTone Retro iPod speaker system now shipping

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, June 16, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Speck Products today announced that its SpeckTone Retro tabletop speaker system is now available. The $150 unit features a built-in iPod dock, a 4” subwoofer and two 3” drivers, and support for 4G and 5G iPods, the iPod nano and iPod mini. The SpeckTone Retro’s all-wood speaker cabinet comes in three lacquered finishes—green, black, and white. “SpeckTone Retro looks like nothing you’ve seen for the iPod. The elegance of 1950’s style makes a dramatic statement while enhancing the clean, modern look of the iPod,” says Speck.

« Energizer intros battery power packs for iPods

Canadian Automobile Association seeks iPod ban »

Comments

I hate retro stuff.

Posted by Anthony from Ludlow on June 16, 2006 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

good for you!

Posted by Gene on June 16, 2006 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

Then don’t buy one.

Posted by RC on June 16, 2006 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

I love retro stuff, I think i’ll buy one smile

Posted by VC on June 17, 2006 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

this looks really old! like a old radio or somethng! its kinda cool!

Posted by lawnboy on June 17, 2006 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

Retro = unimaginative
Retro = unoriginal
Retro = nostalgic for the sake of cashing in on unrequited memories that never actually existed in reality.
Retro = why stop at the ‘1950s? It’s widely known that Elvis, after all, HAS indeed left the building. And if he’s left, well, maybe the rest of us should too.

Boy, what a trend! I can hardly contain my bladder awaiting for the retro iTinCanAndString system to show up! It’s look really swell next to my retro iSmokeSignals ‘longwave’ set.

Retro…BAH. Especially with a 4” “subwoofer” (wink, nod).

Posted by flatline response on June 17, 2006 at 10:26 PM (PDT)

If you hate retro then spend your money on the “portable” Hi Fi.

As for me, I love the design.  My only complaint with it is that it doesn’t look like it has a remote.  Anyone else notice?

Posted by mraarons on June 18, 2006 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

Sleek! I think I’m gonna buy it…in green.

Posted by Andipod on June 18, 2006 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

An am/fm radio would be nice

Posted by VC on June 18, 2006 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

People like retro things because of the vibe given off in the physical style and colors that were so prominent in the 1950’s which can no longer be found in todays work where black is a dominating color (over the brightness of the past) and the idea of today that everything must be 100% streamlines.  Also, it may bring back good memories of a simpler time.

Posted by StaplesGuy on June 18, 2006 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

This is the first iPod speaker I’m actually interested in. Something simple, to the point and sounds good is all that is needed. Crossing the fingers it gets a good review.

Posted by Boris34 on June 18, 2006 at 5:23 PM (PDT)

flatline response = whiner

Posted by kebot1 on June 18, 2006 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

Can’t resist. I’m getting the green. I really like the way the retro look of the unit merges with the ipod. That couldn’t have been easy to pull off, in my opinion…

Or… it’s just sheer dumb luck.

Posted by praetor on June 19, 2006 at 5:07 AM (PDT)

When it comes to aesthetics, I tend to think of stereo equipment as pieces of furniture.  I guess the entire room would have to be “retro” in order for this thing to fit in.  Try mixing it with other contemporary equipment and it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Posted by Chahk on June 19, 2006 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

I just received mine yesterday (green color). Since the shipment was delayed a week they threw in a free ipod car charger (along with the ipod nano and video rubber cases that match the color of the SpeckTone). I have only listened to it for an hour, but the sound is very good to my ears. I was a little surprised by it’s size though - it’s fairly small. I thought it’d be about 4 inches wider. Overall I’m very happy with it.

Posted by Double Crown Records on June 20, 2006 at 9:49 AM (PDT)

kebot1: That was intelligent response. It must be heartening that you can put your gray matter out on display so easily while in the meantime bringing so little else to the table.

All this waxing nostalgia doesn’t mean it was any better back then such that it’s actually worth repeating. I lived it; it wasn’t all that you 20-somethings erroneously make it out to be. Certainly the typical kitsch electronics of the era weren’t (good, that is—fact is, most of it dressed up like this was pure garbage), so why use an aesthetic of something that was outdated even back then to dress up something that’s supposed to be modern, state-of-the-art and up-to-date, such as an iPod?

Wait a sec…it IS Speck that we’re talking about, after all; anyone who can bring the world iGuy…

Posted by flatline response on June 22, 2006 at 1:36 AM (PDT)

Why use an aesthetic from the past?
Because some people like it.
Aesthetic tastes are as individual as people are.  There is no mandate as to what is right or not.  Because one person doesn’t like a design does not make that design bad, just unliked by that individual.  There is no claim that things were better back when, just that some like that visual design.

Posted by SoutherGothic on June 23, 2006 at 11:04 AM (PDT)