SportRope for iPod shuffle introduced [updated] | iLounge News

SportRope for iPod shuffle introduced [updated]

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, February 14, 2005
News Categories: iPod shuffle

pic Jewelry designer Richard Forbes has announced the SportRope, a replacement rubber cord for the Apple lanyard that is provided with the iPod shuffle. The $9.99 SportRope is made of 3mm rubber and attaches with a sterling bayonet clasp. The SportRope comes in 36 or 40-inch lengths and is available in Pink, Turquoise, Cobalt, Cherry Red, Lime Green, Tangerine, Clear and Black.

“The need and benefit of the SportRope is that it allows Shuffle owners to personalize their Shuffle with color and flair,” explains Forbes. “In addition, SportRope also provides resistance to the grit and grime that the original nylon lanyard will show with time. SportRope is easily cleanable, where as the original lanyard may be susceptible to becoming unglued during repeated cleanings.”

« Apple sued by French consumer group over DRM

PodFas iPod-themed Stikfas announced »

Comments

As someone who spends way too much on iPod accessories, even I am way put off by the $17.99 price tag. Maybe they could reduce the price by making the bayonet clasp out of something less than sterling silver.

Fro now, I’ll put the money toward’s Helix’s new Shuffle case when it becomes available!

Posted by californiagrl in SF Bay Area on February 14, 2005 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

I agree. What a waste. Maybe they can sell these and the ipod lego men as a set? LOL.

Posted by ash8080 in Florida, USA on February 14, 2005 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

wow $18 for a little bit of rubber cord….

talk about a mark up.

and they remind me of those string things you can attach to your glasses….i could probably make some myself and start charging about that much too (lol I kid)

Posted by rockthecasbah on February 14, 2005 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

$18? You’ve got to be kidding me.

Posted by lucygoosey on February 15, 2005 at 3:02 AM (PDT)

I rather like the idea, but on clicking the link, I can see that the site has exceeded its bandwidth restriction (they have been “slashdotted,” so to speak—although not by Slashdot).

What kind of business runs on a 40M bandwidth-limited free-hosting site??

I think alternate lanyards will be a big thing, but I’m not sure about this one yet…

Posted by Dave Hurley in San Francsico on February 15, 2005 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

The site is working, not sure why there was a problem.

Posted by danacondaman on February 15, 2005 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

Actually they are selling for $15.

Posted by danacondaman on February 15, 2005 at 12:53 PM (PDT)

How does one attach this to the shuffle without destroying the original lanyard?

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on February 16, 2005 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

It is a replacement of the original cheap lanyard. You pull the string on the original until the glue comes undone, then use the SportRope. Price is $9.95. New pricing.

Posted by danacondaman on February 16, 2005 at 11:19 AM (PDT)

I have a Sport Rope and it is great.  I find it to be much more comfortable than the lanyard Apple supplies with the Shuffle.  The clasp is what makes it all work.  It has positive closure and is smooth against the skin.  I have the clear rope which is opaque and is in keeping with the sleek style of the Shuffle.  I paid $9.95 for mine and I think it is well worth it.

Posted by podmanfla in Florida on February 16, 2005 at 6:59 PM (PDT)

Cheers to the good folks who make SportRope for listening to their customers and substantially and quickly rolling back their original price for this item!

Good work!

Posted by californiagrl in SF Bay Area on February 17, 2005 at 7:36 AM (PDT)