Sprint enters into $20 billion, multi-year iPhone pact
Sprint Nextel has entered into a multi-year deal with Apple as part of its agreement to carry the iPhone that will see the number three U.S. carrier purchase a guaranteed number of iPhones over the next four years. Citing people familiar with the matter, the Wall Street Journal reports that Sprint has agreed to purchase 30.5 million iPhones—$20 billion worth, at current rates—over the next four years whether or not it is able to sell them all. “This is a bet-the-company kind of thing,’’ said a person familiar with the company’s decision making, adding that the projected hit to the company’s operating income is “staggering.” According to the report, Apple also requires other carriers to make long-term volume commitments for the iPhone, which in turn helps them in component purchasing decisions. The report notes that Sprint is expected to offer unlimited data plans for the iPhone, distinguishing it from rival carriers Verizon and AT&T, and that the deal isn’t expected to become profitable until 2014. Sprint CEO Dan Hesse recently said that the lack of the iPhone is “the No. 1 reason customers leave or switch.”
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- Report: Apple to release iOS public betas
- Apple extends two-step verification to FaceTime, iMessage
- Apple raises size limit for Apps to 4GB
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?