Sprint touts 4G Case for iPad + Overdrive hotspot | iLounge News

Sprint touts 4G Case for iPad + Overdrive hotspot

image

US wireless carrier Sprint is now offering a specialized iPad case made to carry both the tablet computer and a wireless hotspot. Available in either a flap-top folio or sleeve design, the 4G Case offers a padded main compartment for the iPad, as well as a dedicated pocket for the Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot, which allows up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices to simultaneously connect to the company’s wireless data networks. Sprint’s 4G Case for the iPad and Overdrive is free for a limited time with an Overdrive purchase at participating Best Buy locations.

« Some colleges rejecting iPad due to network, security concerns

Art Authority creates a virtual art museum on the iPad »

Comments

I’m testing the new Sprint hotspot now and it’s small enough to put in your pocket.  I had some Apple guys at Peets miffed this morning as I browsed the web, email etc with no wifi to be “seen”
It works great with the iPad.

Posted by sb on April 16, 2010 at 4:26 PM (CDT)

I have the Verizon mifi which uses their 3G network. I use it primerily with my iTouch, but will use it with my iPad when I get one in the same manner. No AT7T for me!

-BINNER

Posted by Scott Bin on April 16, 2010 at 5:02 PM (CDT)

@BINNER, so how do you reconcile paying $60 a month for Sprint 4G plan with 2 year contract and if you wonder into a 3G area, you’re limited to 5GB per month (unlimited if you can remain in 4G area which is very spotty even in big cities) over AT&T’s $30.00/mo. plan without contract for unlimited 3G and getting an iPad 3G. The Overdrive unit costs $100 after all rebates and the iPad 3G will only be $39 more. All because you don’t like AT&T? I want the 3G model that I can turn service on when I need it and cancel when I don’t. But hey, I have a wifi only version for sale if you’re convinced the sprint route is the way to go :-)

Posted by Itsdarts on April 16, 2010 at 6:28 PM (CDT)

The Ipad 3g is 129$ more than it’s wifi counterpart.

I got a mifi recently and have had a considerable better experience with there 3g data service than I ever had wifi AT%T.

Yeah you can turn your 3g service on or off of the Ipad but you have to have service with ATT to even get data service with the Ipad.

Posted by @Itsdarts on April 17, 2010 at 11:22 PM (CDT)

Oh yes, great idea. Take your no contract unlimited iPad 3G interface for $30.00/mo and take a 2yr contract at $60.00/mo. Then consider that you’ll need to take to battery operated devices along (or more). Consider that Sprint 4G is available in very few locations (if you’re in one and not moving great for you), so you’ll be likely in CDMA 3G locations, where a) it’s slower than the iPad 3G native interface, and b) you’ll have a 5GB/mo cap, plus you won’t get access to the ATT WiFI hotspots at Starbucks, Barnes Noble and McD’s, or have global options.
I can only see the Sprint 4G Overdrive solution if you live and stay in a Sprint 4G area, have multiple devices needing mobile access, and rarely if ever travel beyond our borders, and bought only the iPAD with WiFI only.
Here’s the math. With the iPad 3G, and the $30.00/mo unlimted data with ATT WiFI, you’ll have paid off the entire iPad 3G before the 2yr contract for the Sprint Overdrive is over. Example iPad 3g 16GB is $629.00. iPad WiFI only is $499.00. Overdrive is $99.99. So that puts the 3G interface at zero against an Ipad WiFI only after month one, since data plan is $30.00 more than ATT 3G plan, along with cost of the Overdrive ($139.99). There after the Sprint plan is $30.00/mo more. $499.99 divided by $30.00/more/mo is 16.67 months, and your ipad is “paid off”, with no contract, unlimited data and worldwide capabilies. Over 2yrs, you will have paid Sprint $1440.00 + $99.99 over $1600.00 with all fees. I don’t think it makes sense but for the very few.  You can payoff the 32GB iPad in 22 months.  By the end of 2yrs with the Overdrive, ands its monthly service, that the iPad 64GB 3G config would have been nearly free when compared to the Sprint 4G overdrive, or any typical carrier $60.00/mo dataplan with 5GB cap.  I’m just sayin’!

Posted by 4geo on April 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM (CDT)

Sprnt, no thanks.

But wow, I want the case, can I buy it without sprint service?

Posted by steve hawkyns on April 19, 2010 at 1:36 AM (CDT)

Another application for iPad, Anrdroid phone…
PaperNow, next gen e-paper.. Online DEMO at http://www.papernow.net (free reg.)

Posted by Tharheeb on April 20, 2010 at 2:06 AM (CDT)

Don’t knock it till you try it.

I’ve been using the Sprint MiFi and now the Overdrive for about 18 months.  I use them with my laptop and now my WiFi IPAD and I travel weekly.  Yep, it’s more expensive then the IPAD 3G service but I get to use it with my laptop, my wife’s laptop, my daughter’s laptop, and my coworker’s laptop when they can’t get a connection in the slow hotel or airport WiFi network.  Works great with IPAD and is very speedy on 4G and 3G.  5GB limit on 3G hasn’t bothered my yet for business use wherever I travel stateside.  I admit it’s pricey, but very effective.  I want that case….

Posted by flash on April 20, 2010 at 8:51 PM (CDT)