Squid cozy for iPod washes up | iLounge News

Squid cozy for iPod washes up

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 16, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

pic Mule Design has introduced a rather unique case for the iPod and iPod mini. The Cephal-iPod is a felt cozy in the form of a squid. The ten-armed iPod accessory is available at a special introductory price of $20.

“Your iPod’s glaring whiteness is relaying signals back to the humans. Protect yourself from harmful rays in style with this hand-crafted hip cozy made of (possibly) organic felt.”

The San Francisco-based Mule Design explained to iLounge how the Cephal-iPod came about.

“We’re basically big squid fans,” Mule Design’s Mike Monteiro said. “I’ve got a tattoo on my arm of a squid my son drew. Ever since seeing a documentary on how squids were poised to be the next dominant species on the planet I’ve kept an eye out for squid news. A few months ago I read a study that the squid biomass was now estimated to be larger than the human biomass. Figuring that the cause was lost,” he said facetiously, “and that we hadn’t done a very good job with the planet anyway, we made some shirts.

Monteiro said that caused a squid snowball effect. “Once people found the shirts they started emailing us about their squid blogs, squid bulletin boards, other squid paraphernalia, etc. It smelled like a zeigeist,” Monteiro said. “The name for the case came first. Cephalopod becomes Cephal-iPod way too easily. So we started drawing up ideas for tentacles and searching for the right eyeballs, and voila. Cephal-iPod.”

« OtterBox waterproof iPod mini case announced

Motorola E1060 not the iTunes phone »

Comments

Hands down this is officially the worst product I have seen for the Ipod! How lame!  (just my two cents)  smile  I am sure there is worst to come so I will stay tuned! smile

Posted by Keeganskylar on February 16, 2005 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

wow ..... just ... wow

i know there’s a lot of people that buy ipods for the positive attention, but this whole “dress your ipod up to subject yourself to ridicule” is definitely a new approach

Posted by ACLeroK212 on February 16, 2005 at 8:20 AM (PDT)

I’m just waiting for the all new Adobe enclosure, with extra clay just in case you lose part of it.  Should be a big seller on the indian reservations of the southwest.

Posted by jfarrx19 in Pittsburgh, Pa. on February 16, 2005 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

i think it’s cute.

Posted by petro on February 16, 2005 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

It’s nice… in a freakishly cutey kinda way… but I wouldn’t buy that even if it came with a free 60 GB iPod Photo standard!

Maybe a 2 year old would like one.

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on February 16, 2005 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

P.S: Funny that it comes from the “Mule” store… because you’ll look like a jacka$$ walking down the street with one. LOL! smile

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on February 16, 2005 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

You think it was built around the name “Cephal-iPod”?  Kinda clever…

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on February 16, 2005 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

Looks like something a 9 year old makes in school in art class. “Look Mommy,I made you a case for your ipod”!!!!  It is cute and funny but why on earth would anyone under 13 use it?

Posted by CanofAir on February 16, 2005 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Posted by iPodNod in London, UK on February 16, 2005 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

Oh, c’mon.  This is funny (and, as noted above, punny).  I’d buy this way before I’d buy Apple’s socks.

Posted by tpmn on February 16, 2005 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

Please… PLEASE make this crap stop.

Posted by okmike in USA on February 16, 2005 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

Heaven forbid there be any variety or creativity… or humor… in iPod products smile

I like it. I won’t buy it, but I like it. A more squiddish color would be better.

And if I didn’t like it, I would never suggest that a product shouldn’t exist JUST because I don’t personally want it for myself.

Posted by Nagromme on February 16, 2005 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

Does it shoot ink at you if it gets scared?

Posted by eben on February 16, 2005 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

Um…...i would never own it, but thats the beauty of capitalism.  There is something for everyone.

Posted by schaaking in Minneapolis on February 16, 2005 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

True, but everytime somebody $hits out something that wraps around an iPod, or builds something out of blocks that is carrying a little iPod, or sneezes and the splatter looks like an iPod, then iPodLounge feels it’s their duty to call it “news”.

People shouldn’t necessarily stop making squid-shaped iPod cases.  More the way I see it, iPodLounge needs to be more selective in what they give attention to.  Something like this might have been better placed in one of the “mix” blurbs, along with a Harper’s article in which the author mentions that his soap-on-a-rope reminds him of his iPod.

Just a thought.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on February 16, 2005 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

Wow you just need to relax attacking iPodLounge like that. If you dont like the put out as news then dont read it.

Posted by iheartmyiPod in Michigan USA on February 16, 2005 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

Errr, iheartmyiPod, how on earth are we attacking iPodlounge? iPodlounge has just done its duty by posting this item in the news section, and we’ve just attacked the product, not iPodlounge.

Posted by iPodNod in London, UK on February 16, 2005 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

Oh wait sorry, my mistake. Yer, lay off iPodlounge PushButtonAction.

Posted by iPodNod in London, UK on February 16, 2005 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

I almost spat out my venti no-whip half-caf non-fat mochacchino with orange shavings when I saw this, ALMOST ruining my Abercronbie and Fitch cable knit turtleneck. What is a cephal anyway?

Posted by GG Touching in USA on February 16, 2005 at 6:21 PM (PDT)

I like it, and I like the fact that people are trying something different. I love squids and most other life forms beneath the ocean—so I would definitely buy this.

And why do people attack the iPodlounge? This isn’t the “yournameherelounge” so you have to realize that there are other people who find these “dumb” topics to be interesting. Except the lego one, I still think that is just horrible.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on February 17, 2005 at 3:56 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >