Standford Students rave over iTunes sharing service | iLounge News

Standford Students rave over iTunes sharing service

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, October 29, 2003
News Categories: iTunes

“With a program for Macs and PCs that allows users to listen to the music of any iTuner who authorizes it and is on the same network, more Stanford students are jumping on the iTunes bandwagon. [...]

‘They have a super cool just-as-good-as-Mac version out now for Windows, ‘Wang said. ‘Once you get the program, you can access the MP3 music library of anyone on the local network (so it’s almost as good as downloading, but you don’t fill up your hard drive) and, oh yeah, it’s not illegal. Woohoo’”

« Apple Store 6th Anniversary Discounts

Mossberg: Attack of the iPod Clones »

Comments

No one can beat the real thing.

Posted by Will on October 29, 2003 at 6:33 AM (PDT)

“not illegal” - why not just say legal. heh

Posted by kainjow on October 29, 2003 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

I’m not sure I understand what this article is referring to. How does iTunes allow users to share music with others on a local network? I don’t see a means of configuring the Library to extend beyond my local machine ...My DocumentsMy MusiciTunesiTunes Music

Posted by Roger Williams in San Jose, CA on October 29, 2003 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

Roger: Edit > Preferences > Sharing

Posted by Erty on October 29, 2003 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

to bad you cant make playlist’s from the shared music.. I’m not talking about beeing able to copy the music to my computer / ipod. But just beeing able to que a shared song in a playlist.. It’s like using the gen1/gen2 ipod’s with no playlist on the go .. ( btw apple I want playlistonthego for my ipod gen2 pls.. smile

Posted by Runar Pettersern on October 29, 2003 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

STANFORD, not STANDFORD

—a stanford freshman

Posted by orange on October 29, 2003 at 3:56 PM (PDT)

Wow, a Standford Frenchman?! :D

Posted by Dan on October 29, 2003 at 8:44 PM (PDT)

Someone should really make a p2p client that works in the same way that itunes does…..streaming audio of any song you want as long as another person has it…...but you can’t download the file.  If you can listen to any song you want, why would u need to dl?

Posted by Elliott on October 30, 2003 at 12:11 AM (PDT)

Elliot - So that you can listen to that song when you aren’t sitting in front of your computer!

Posted by me on October 30, 2003 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

Elliott, iTunes used to have a similar feature in version 4, it allowed you to stream your music over the net, but Apple removed it in 4.1.

Posted by MrBlank on October 30, 2003 at 6:13 AM (PDT)

“but Apple removed it in 4.1.”

Media Center still streams over the internet. I use it to listen to my CDs from work and leave all the music at home.

It also comes in handy if I am at a friend’s house and they have broadband. I can stream my music right into the party.

Yes I can carry 80GB of music with me on my audio player, but there are almost 400GB at home and you never know when you might just need *that* exact song.

Of course, my DSL is 1500/768, so I have alot of upload speed.

In fact, the upload is so high that I use Media Center to stream DIVX versions of toons like the Simpsons and Futurama. Still not high enough for movies (need around 1000 Kbps for that) but I am working on it!

Posted by JoeSchmoe on October 30, 2003 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

I read the article and I can’t help thinking ‘Leech’!

Posted by mac_glady on October 31, 2003 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

‘“not illegal” - why not just say legal. heh’

Doubt that it was their specific reasoning, but “not illegal” emphasizes that it’s being contrasted against the illegal alternatives.  Saying it’s legal doesn’t create quite the same level of emphasis.

Posted by DiverMan on November 1, 2003 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

Try GetTunes to get music over Rendevous.

Posted by Zach on June 2, 2004 at 9:56 AM (PDT)