Starbucks plans iTunes promos, 50 million song giveaway
In an effort to further its partnership with Apple to provide free wireless iPhone and iPod touch access to the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, which begins on October 2 with access in 600 New York and Seattle-area locations, Starbucks today announced a number of promotions aimed at expanding the purchase of company-picked music from iTunes.
Most notably, Starbucks will give away 1.5 million iTunes downloads per day from October 2 to November 7, totalling 50 million downloads by the end of the promotion. Each day, over 10,000 Starbucks locations will hand out “Song of the Day” cards allowing customers to download one free track from an artist such as Bob Dylan, Joss Stone, Dave Matthews, Bebel Gilberto, John Mayer, KT Tunstall, John Legend, Annie Lennox, Joni Mitchell, Keith Urban or Paul McCartney.
U.S.-based locations of Starbucks will also begin to sell iTunes Digital Release Cards, which will include not only full albums from selected artists, but also bonus materials such as videos, music videos, bonus tracks and/or digital booklets, depending on the release. The Card must be activated at the Starbucks, and its contents downloaded on a Mac or PC. Starbucks will also offer the “Starbucks Card Plus Two,” a reloadable restaurant card that also entitles the purchaser to download two tracks of his or her choice from the U.S. iTunes Store.
Interestingly, Starbucks also confirmed that its iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store partnership enables users to access the Store not only from the iPhone and iPod touch, but also through laptops running iTunes software. As such, wireless access to iTunes with any of these devices won’t require either a hotspot login or payment of connection fees.
- iTunes music sales down at least 13 percent worldwide
- Apple working to cut music subscription prices
- Apple formally debuts iTunes 12 after three months of betas
- U2’s Bono apologizes for automatic iTunes album download
- Apple releases another iTunes 12 beta
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Road Trip, Football Manager Handheld 2015, Deliveries 6.0 + more
- Square plans to accept Apple Pay in 2015
- Google settles patent litigation with Apple’s Rockstar consortium
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 4
- Report: GT Advanced struggled with sapphire production
- Report: Apple plans to integrate Beats Music directly into iOS
- Apple plans to ‘repurpose’ Arizona manufacturing plant, save jobs
- Apple announces WatchKit software tools available to developers now
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M in pager technology settlement
- Apple opens up Lightning port to third-party manufacturers, begins accepting HomeKit plans
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Logitech Keys-to-Go For iPad
- IvySkin Renegade for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Infinity Infinity One Wireless Speaker
- Twelve South PlugBug World iPad/iPhone Charger
- Pelican Protector for iPhone 6 and Voyager for iPhone 6 Plus
- STM Flip for iPhone 6
- Griffin Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0