Starbucks plans iTunes promos, 50 million song giveaway
In an effort to further its partnership with Apple to provide free wireless iPhone and iPod touch access to the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, which begins on October 2 with access in 600 New York and Seattle-area locations, Starbucks today announced a number of promotions aimed at expanding the purchase of company-picked music from iTunes.
Most notably, Starbucks will give away 1.5 million iTunes downloads per day from October 2 to November 7, totalling 50 million downloads by the end of the promotion. Each day, over 10,000 Starbucks locations will hand out “Song of the Day” cards allowing customers to download one free track from an artist such as Bob Dylan, Joss Stone, Dave Matthews, Bebel Gilberto, John Mayer, KT Tunstall, John Legend, Annie Lennox, Joni Mitchell, Keith Urban or Paul McCartney.
U.S.-based locations of Starbucks will also begin to sell iTunes Digital Release Cards, which will include not only full albums from selected artists, but also bonus materials such as videos, music videos, bonus tracks and/or digital booklets, depending on the release. The Card must be activated at the Starbucks, and its contents downloaded on a Mac or PC. Starbucks will also offer the “Starbucks Card Plus Two,” a reloadable restaurant card that also entitles the purchaser to download two tracks of his or her choice from the U.S. iTunes Store.
Interestingly, Starbucks also confirmed that its iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store partnership enables users to access the Store not only from the iPhone and iPod touch, but also through laptops running iTunes software. As such, wireless access to iTunes with any of these devices won’t require either a hotspot login or payment of connection fees.
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.1 update for Windows
- Report: Details on Apple’s upcoming Beats-based streaming service
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Apple responds to EU iTunes refund abuse
- Apple introduces 14-day refund policy on iTunes purchases in the EU
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?