Steve Jobs intervenes in App Store rejection, approves iPhone 3G video streaming app | iLounge News

Apple CEO Steve Jobs has personally intervened to reverse the rejection of an iPhone and iPod touch application for what is believed to be the first time. Ars Technica reports that Brian Meehan of Pointy Heads emailed Jobs directly following the rejection of the company’s live video streaming app Knocking Live Video. Knocking uses a private API, an act which is strictly prohibited in Apple’s iPhone developer agreement, to stream live video from an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS to any iPhone or iPod touch. Notably, the iPhone 3G does not support video capture via the built-in Camera app, making the application the first in Apple’s official App Store to offer video from the device—similar techniques have been used in jailbreak applications to gather video using an iPhone 3G or even an original iPhone. According to the report, Meehan’s email focused more on Apple as an organization than on any specific API or application. “I reached out to Apple to reconsider our application due to its potential to culturally change how people share live moments phone-to-phone,” Meehan said. He added that he made his case “in a way that was not about me or our app, rather about being a life-long user of all Apple products, about how I believed in Apple and that I believed Jobs would respond.”

Within days of sending the email, Meehan received a phone call from an Apple executive—who wishes to remain anonymous, according to the report—and was told that the app would be approved for sale, and that the rejection reversal order came “directly from the top.” Although Google’s Google Mobile App was previously approved despite using unpublished APIs, it is unclear whether Apple knew about the infraction, making this the first time Apple has knowingly approved an application which uses an undocumented or private API. In fact, it is believed that the company is now using automated software to check incoming App Store submissions for private API. Knocking Live Video is available now as a free download from the App Store.

« WindSolutions unveils CopyTrans 4, adds Smart Backup

Brookstone debuts iDesign systems for iPod, iPhone »

Comments

app does not run on my iPhone 3G… crashes even after restarting phone

Posted by James Lynch III on December 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM (CST)

Yeah same here on the 3GS. I downloaded the app, tried it and it crashed. I restarted my phone and tried again, same results.

For an app that was approved by God himself, I feel like I am in hell when I try to use it.

Posted by Coogan on December 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM (CST)

Count me as another 3GS owner who can’t get it to run.

Restarted phone. Same results.

Too bad.

Rich

Posted by Rich on December 1, 2009 at 7:46 PM (CST)

Downloaded app told 5 friends to .it is crashing on all of us .what’s up

Posted by John on December 1, 2009 at 7:48 PM (CST)

The same here, no luck on a 3GS, reboot, reinstallation, freeing up more space doesn’t help, either.

The story sounds too good to be true.  Also the only 522K App size.  I hope this is not a trojan horse…

Posted by Hal on December 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM (CST)

I almost got this to work early on after I setup a username for my original iPhone and my current 3G, but the apps couldn’t connect to each other, and since then, my definition of “success” is that the app doesn’t quit upon opening.  My 3G will now open the app but tells me to try connecting again later and m 1st gen won’t open, no matter how many times I redownload it or restart.

I have a feeling that the attention this app has garnered has totally hosed their servers, so I will be patient and try again in the coming days, but right now, these are NOT working for seemingly Everyone.

-Brian

Posted by brianbobcat on December 2, 2009 at 12:06 AM (CST)

Despite Steve’s intervention this app should not have seen the light of day. I set up a username on my 3G then tried to log in. Nothing. It just sits there. Zilch.

Posted by wilsonk on December 2, 2009 at 8:03 AM (CST)

apps installed without issues, signed up with out issues, connected to facebook without issues, send invitation to a friend didn’t worked. I told me friend to download the apps and then we try it out again. .....

Posted by dennis on December 2, 2009 at 8:56 AM (CST)

Downloaded app, never got to set up a new account with messages stating “Login Failed” or “Username already exists!” even after several different unique usernames.  Deleted app and re-downloaded.  Now it crashes after 10 seconds on start-up screen.  Sounds like it has potential but don’t know because I can’t use it.

Posted by Alex on December 2, 2009 at 12:10 PM (CST)

Downloaded the app on my 3G.  After pushing through the repeated crashes and overall slow response from the app, I made one successful connection with a 3GS…. streamed some video…... and then it crashed.

Posted by Jerome on December 2, 2009 at 12:36 PM (CST)

It crashes from time to time but I made IT WORK. The screeen quality is perfect. When you are away from your iphone, you hear someone knocks on your iphone. You accept. Yess. Here you are in a, one-way video calling. This app, opens a very important door. I hope, it will be better in the future.

Posted by burak on December 3, 2009 at 4:07 PM (CST)