Steve Jobs iTunes conference call coverage
Head to MacMinute.com for live coverage of the iTunes Music Store anniversary conference call. There is an extensive list of news briefs from the call.
Some highlights courtesy of MacMinute:
- Jobs: The iTMS had a small profit this past quarter—0-70 million in one year is a good figure.
- Jobs: Music is background activity—movies are foreground activity—music is the revolution here.
- Jobs: we have to stay focused on the fact that people are buying iPods for music.
- Jobs: (joking): next big step is we want iPod to make toast. Toying with refrigeration, too.
- Jobs: upward trend in iPod sales—Apple is the only company in world offers unbeatable combo of iPod, iTunes and iTunes Music Store.
- Jobs: subscription services not succeeding—$1 to listen to a song for the rest of your life. People want to own music, not rent it—you own it… subscriptions make you pay over and over.
- HP expects to ship 8 million copies of iTunes on their desktops this year.
- Labels never asked for iTMS downloads to play on any other device besides iPod, says Jobs.
- Price is remaining 99 cents per song
- “Gonna help us a lot in the Windows market,” says Jobs. (WMA to AAC converter)
- Jobs: “Largest online catalog in the world. “Number one online music service in the world,” so “exceeded our wildest expectations”
- iTunes 12 makes its first appearance with iOS-style design
- Eighth annual iTunes Festival announced
- iTunes Pass service extends to U.S., other countries
- iTunes 11.3 brings HD Extras to Mac; iTunes Extras comes to Apple TV (Update)
- Apple promoting books Amazon won’t sell
- iTunes Radio adds ESPN Radio, local NPR stations
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple appoints Beats Music chief to head up iTunes Radio
- Facebook promises monthly iOS app updates
- iLounge Game Spotlight: 80 Days
- Typo iPhone keyboard returns, updated, as Typo 2
- Apple posts official Beats welcome announcement
- Report: Vivendi SA sold its Beats stake for $404 million
- Apple content delivery network for faster downloads now live in US, Europe
- Apps of the Week: NPR One, Crazy Taxi: City Rush, Interactive Alphabet 4.0 + more
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Tylt Energi 2K Smart Travel Charger
- Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad Air
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks