Student’s commercial for iPod touch to air this weekend
A new TV advertisement for the iPod touch, slated to debut this Sunday, is based on a fan commercial created by 18-year-old English student Nick Haley. Haley’s original commercial is set to the song “Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex” by the Brazilian band CSS and showcases the player’s music, videos, photos, Safari, and iTunes abilities. Haley uploaded the 30-second spot to YouTube, where it was spotted by Apple marketing employees, who asked TBWA/Chiat/Day employees working on the Apple account to contact Haley about producing a more professional version of the commercial. TBWA emailed Haley, saying, “We represent Apple and we’ve seen what you have produced and we’d like a chat with you.” Haley added, “This seemed ridiculous and far-fetched. My initial reaction was, someone wanted to steal it.”
Apparently little has been changed in the new version, which features more polished editing and has been shot in HD. Chairman and chief creative officer at TBWA Worldwide Lee Clow said, “we didn’t mess with his content” because “it has a charm to it, a youthful fun.” “My input was totally respected,” said Haley, stating that the agency’s efforts are “pretty similar” to his own. When asked what it means if consumers like him are willing to make commercials, Haley said, “That’s the whole point of advertising; it needs to get to the user,” adding, “If you get the user to make the ads, who better?”
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Apple releases third iOS 8.4 beta to developers
- WSJ: New Apple music service to debut at WWDC
- Updated Apple document claims Apple Watch won’t measure heart rate while in motion
- Report: Apple pursuing Drake for iTunes Radio guest DJ
- Typo to stop selling iPhone keyboard cases
- Apple issues workaround for Messages text string bug
- Apple acquires Metaio, an augmented reality company
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?