Study: European iPod owners not flocking to online music | iLounge News

Study: European iPod owners not flocking to online music

A new study by Jupiter Research found that only one in five European iPod owners regularly buys songs online and that iPod owners on average buy only 20 tracks a year from Apple’s iTunes Store. “About 83 percent of iPod owners throughout Europe do not regularly buy digital music, the study found, although they are more apt to do so than owners of other portable media devices,” reports Reuters. “The study found that 30 percent of iPod owners illegally swap songs using file-sharing networks and another 23 percent listen to Web-based audio files for free legally. iPod owners also were found in the survey of about 4,000 consumers across Europe to be much more likely to buy CDs online than they were to buy downloads.”

« Mophie debuts wallet/case for new iPod nano

ezGear offers silicone case for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

when online music stores start putting better songs & music videos, acess to tv shows and movies like the americans get then we will flock them as for now they can only dream on

Posted by mikelarry85 on September 18, 2006 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

“About 83 percent of iPod owners throughout Europe do not regularly buy digital music…iPod owners also were found ...to be much more likely to buy CDs online than they were to buy downloads.”

Gee, that’s funny.  I always thought that CD’s were digital.

Posted by otaku on September 18, 2006 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

cd’s are physical goods, that’s the difference.  digital wares are nothing but a math equation on a screen.  you own nothing but that equation.

you can MAKE a cd into an equation, and put it onto your ipod, but you’ve still got the cd.

i, personally, haven’t ever bought a song from itunes…not sure why, it just has no draw for me.  give me the whole cd, thanks.

Posted by OnlyShawn on September 18, 2006 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

Downloads can come ring my door again once they are lossless. Sing along “I - won’t - pay - for - shod-dod-dy quality - I - won’t - pay - no no”

Posted by Bad Beaver on September 18, 2006 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

I don’t think it’s at all surprising, and I would expect that U.S. behavior is similar.  After all, most people already own a collection of music on CD before purchasing their iPod (or other Digital Audio Player), so why wouldn’t they just rip the music they already own to fill up their player?

Plus, just because they own a DAP doesn’t mean that that’s their only music player.  I imagine many folks still own and use CD players so continuing to acquire new music on CD is to be expected - not to mention the whole quality issue.

iTunes is ok for buying the occasional odd track for $0.99 on the spur of the moment.  But if it’s an album I want, the CD is almsot always the better value.

Posted by dodo on September 18, 2006 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

same here, aint paying for 128 aac drm files. i usually buy cds at amazon once the price drops. with some new albums coming in @ 12 Euros in itms, there is even less inclination to buy 128 aac.

Posted by ceres on September 18, 2006 at 12:58 PM (PDT)

Being fairly new to the world of iPod, i have already bought a couple of tunes and cd’s from the itunes store.

However, my big reluctance still is the sound quality. Music is recorded in cd-quality and i want to buy my music EXACTLY like this. I can then decide myself to which quality i want it reduced for my iPod. Sorry, but 128 aac isn’t cd-quality, no matter what Apple thinks or wants us to believe.

The other important reason: if your music taste isn’t really mainstream, then there isn’t that much available.

A third important reason: why on earth do they only allow soundclips lasintg 30 seconds? As a person always on the lookout for new music, 30 seconds isn’t enough for me to decide if i want to buy a song or not. So i don’t.

And the fact that the music i buy is limited to one brand of players isn’t helping either.

Don’t get me wrong: i love my ipod so far but getting to know the world of Apple a bit more, i’m not sure i like what i see (for example: my ipod photo being only a bit more than one year old and not supported anymore).

So Apple, get your act together please.

Posted by Wouter on September 18, 2006 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

By the way, as a newcomer, i’m curious to know: what is the official Apple opinion on adding cd-quality tunes? Are they going to stick to the 128 aac format forever? Has anything been announced yet in that direction?

They can add 2Gb big movie files for download to their store, so i can’t really see the problem of adding cd-quality music?

Posted by Wouter on September 18, 2006 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

I don’t think this is really all that surprising. People typically use the store for a few impulse buys.

Apple doesn’t make much profit on it anyway, it was always designed as a way to pull in customers interested in a store.

Incidentally, I’ve spent £624 on iTunes since it launched in the UK in June 2004!

Posted by Daveoc64 on September 18, 2006 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

This study is more than stupid. I’m french and I can’t buy TV Shows, I can’t even get the free ones because of the country I’m living in. So, it’s obvious I’ll find another way to get them (ebay and amazon most of the time).

Let’s not talk about the music that is proposed on the french iTunes… I envy the american one.

Honestly, they’re doing nothing for europe.

I’m not in their 83% for that and I think that I won’t be until they change this.

Posted by Pico on September 18, 2006 at 3:49 PM (PDT)

Roll on lossless music then I’ll buy more!

Posted by drevo_uk in UK on September 19, 2006 at 3:36 AM (PDT)

Yeah its true. I am in the UK, when I want some music, I might look on itunes, then I see the price, $1.50 a song, then I go to Amazon.co.uk and find I can buy the whole CD chaper than iTunes so I do that, rip the CD for the iPod, job done.

If Apple want a two tier system with no movies and 150% pricing for the UK over the US store what do they expect?

Only signed in to iTunes store last week for the first time, so I could update my album art…

Posted by Paul on September 19, 2006 at 3:44 AM (PDT)

1. iTunes is not available in Hungary, and in a lot of other European countries. Dowloading music and movies in Hungary is legal. (Sharing/file exchange is not.)
2. Debit cards are not accepted by Apple. Neither by PayPal. :(

Posted by ebertek on September 19, 2006 at 7:57 AM (PDT)

“why on earth do they only allow soundclips lasintg 30 seconds?”
This is what I like most about the subscription services: you get to hear the whole song/album before you buy. In the case of Yahoo Unlimited, files are encoded at 192k. You just pick out the ones you like, pay for them, burn to audio CD, then import the CD to iTunes.

Posted by fondy44 on September 19, 2006 at 7:38 PM (PDT)

“Debit cards are not accepted by Apple. Neither by PayPal. :(”

I use a debit card with PalPal. What possible reason could either company have for not accepting a debit card?

Posted by Joshua on September 20, 2006 at 5:31 AM (PDT)

“I am in the UK, when I want some music, I might look on itunes, then I see the price, $1.50 a song, then I go to Amazon.co.uk and find I can buy the whole CD chaper than iTunes so I do that, rip the CD for the iPod, job done.”

I agree with your totally (I’m also based in the UK), especially as the files aren’t even lossless. I guess there is some point if you only want to have one or two tracks from the album. For me though that’s generally a non-issue as I collect mainly jazz and classical CDs and obviously want to listen to the whole album.

Posted by Joshua on September 20, 2006 at 5:38 AM (PDT)

I meant a Maestro, or a Visa Electron card.
In Hungary, MasterCard’s and Visa’s are almost in every cases credit cards: you have to be 18+, and have a constant job to get one.

Posted by ebertek on September 20, 2006 at 6:10 AM (PDT)

of course I dont buy from itunes, for 5€ more I prefer to buy the real cd and convert to better quality mp3 (or whatever format I want), make copies in cd-r… and that all the times I want.

Posted by rupi on September 21, 2006 at 2:35 PM (PDT)