Study: Podcast use rising but small for daily usage | iLounge News

Study: Podcast use rising but small for daily usage

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, November 22, 2006
News Categories: Podcasting

According to a recent study by the Pew Internet and American Life Project, a growing number of consumers are listening to podcasts, but very few do so every day. The study found that 12% of web users have downloaded a podcast, an increase from 7% earlier in the year. However, only about 1% said they download a podcast on a typical day. “While podcast downloading is still an emerging activity primarily enjoyed by early adopters, the range of content now available speaks to both mainstream and niche audiences,” said Mary Madden, senior research specialist at Pew. “We are at a crossroads of a major transition in the way media content is delivered and consumed.”

« ezGear intros EZL iPod stand

YoTank offers machined aluminum 2G iPod nano case »

Comments

From 7% of ALL web users to 12% in less than a year? That’s PHENOOMENAL growth!

I consider myself a very active podcast listener, but even I don’t download (or listen to) a podcast every single day. It’s usually when I go running or on longer drives, so probably 4-5 times a week.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on November 22, 2006 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

I must be in the minority-I subcribe at least a dozen podcasts (mostly news and sports) and listen to them daily, to the point that I really don’t have that much time to listen to music.  It’s maily public radio stuff-it’s just very attractive to have the content on demand and to be listen to it on my schedule.

Posted by A Moore on November 22, 2006 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

Hey, that reminds me - what ever happened to the iLounge Podcast?  You don’t call, you don’t write, poof, gone!  If anybody should have a podcast it should be you guys!

Posted by mwilgar on November 22, 2006 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

All of the podcasts I listen to are weekly and come out Sunday/Monday.  I use my shuffle everyday and it only gets what I listen to from my podcast only playlist.  When will people understand that just because you don’t download a podcast everyday, it doesn’t mean you don’t listen to ‘em everyday?

Posted by DavidG on November 22, 2006 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

I guess I’m in a minority as well.  I subscribe to 26 podcasts and listen to and/or watch them everyday, except on the weekends.  Mainly on my drive to work, while working out, or sitting at my desk at work.  It’s just like a TiVo (which I also own),  I can check out my ‘shows’ on my own time.

Posted by iScott on November 23, 2006 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

It is great for the commute to and from work.  Podcasting, along with streaming content and digital video recording, are going to essentially end live broadcasting, of everything execpt for sports and breaking news.

Posted by A Moore on November 23, 2006 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

I wish iLounge would update )or bring back) their podcast

Posted by ryan10ad on November 26, 2006 at 12:33 PM (PDT)