Sun official: iPhone’s lack of Java ‘a mistake’ | iLounge News

Sun official: iPhone’s lack of Java ‘a mistake’

Speaking at that AJAXWorld conference this week, Sun Distinguished Engineer and vice president for software Bob Brewin urged Apple to consider Java support for the iPhone. “I think it’s a mistake,” said Brewin of the omission. “I think it would provide a lot more flexibility in applications being developed.” Brewin went on to point out different applications, such as various games and the media-sharing application LimeWire, that could be easily ported to the handheld if it had Java support. In addition, he also mentioned Sun’s JavaFX multimedia display technology, which Brewin said could offer rich applications on the iPhone.

« PDO announces TopSkin for iPhone

Truphone demos VoIP on the iPhone »

Comments

Oh boohoo!  Your pet software wasn’t included on one of the most popular gadgets on the market today.  How awful for you!

Posted by Jason on September 27, 2007 at 6:33 AM (PDT)

The man would actually suggest to SJ that he include Java so that people could run *Limewire*???  What was he thinking?

Posted by otaku on September 27, 2007 at 6:44 AM (PDT)

Yes, what an idiot for suggesting a 2007-era mobile device have the same widely-accepted 3rd-party software platform that most other mobiles have had since c.2000!

iPhone fanbois are funny.

Posted by The Doctor on September 27, 2007 at 6:58 AM (PDT)

I agree. Without Java, the iPhone is even more crippled than it already is.

Posted by Don Trammell on September 27, 2007 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

otaku nailed it - why would anyone use a P2P piracy and virus-laden crap application like Limewire to argue for Java support?

Games and Limewire are about the last reasons anyone should add Java to their device.

Lots of good reasons to add Java - these aren’t them (and neither is the fact that many other phones have it).

Posted by tintin on September 27, 2007 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

James Gosling (Creator of Java) did a talk at my Uni just after the iPhone was announced, and he seemed pretty annoyed that they hadn’t included it.
But from Apple’s point of view, if you aren’t opening up to third party apps, there’s really no reason to include Java. The iPhone has the Cocoa framework for app dev. I write Java for a living, and believe me, if you have Objective-C and Cocoa, you don’t need Java.

Posted by stadidas on September 27, 2007 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

The iPhone’s lack of Java is a ‘mistake’?  Well, in a word…duh.  Perhaps an even bigger mistake would be to suggest to Apple that the iPhone support Java for applications like LimeWire.  That way we could get around paying iTunes, and download our music for free!  Is this guy really a vice president?

Of course the iPhone has the capability to support Java.  I’m sure SJ and his Apple cronies have their reasons for why it does not (e.g. LimeWire).  I’d like to hear some other theories on why Apple is holding out?  Just nothing more from this guy though.

Posted by StayHuman on September 27, 2007 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

To “The Doctor”:

It isn’t fanboyism to suggest that Java doesn’t really have a place on the iPhone. Again, why would anyone dare run Limewire on the device? And for that matter, how essential is Java with regard to other applications?

The mere fact that other phones have used Java for several years doesn’t inherently mean that the iPhone is behind the times or lacking something essential. As stadidas pointed out, application development isn’t hindered by the lack of Java support.

Incidentally, I don’t find the iPhone to be all that “crippled.” It has some limitations but it is a groundbreaking mobile device in many ways, like it or not. My frustrations are less with what was omitted from the iPhone and more with the fact that a few basic functions need to be streamlined. But to call it “crippled” is very much a stretch.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 27, 2007 at 7:54 AM (PDT)

The only thing that makes the iPhone groundbreaking is that Apple made it and the UI. Everything else about it is bettered by my old Samsung D600, except the memory.

No Java, not that bothered. What about no 3G, no memory card slot, no picture messaging, no Video recording, no GPS or that fact it £250 when it should be free..

Posted by dAN on September 27, 2007 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

I’m a programmer and I like Java just fine but it freaks me out that someone at Sun would use LimeWire as an example to promote the Java platform. That’s the kind of promotion you just don’t need. A classic “CE-Oh No He didn’t!” if there ever was one.

Posted by Sancroff on September 27, 2007 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

@Flippy Hambone

Your comments are “probably” those of someone living in the US that is not used to a more mature mobile telephony environment. As an American living in Europe I can assuredly say the US is like the 3rd world when it comes to mobile. My Nokia E90 smokes the iPhone in every category. I repeat, every category. Did I mention that it has HSDPA (3.6mb/sec), and will go to 7.2 mb/sec after the new year? So while you are downloading something with EDGE (a very old technology), I will be where you are trying to go. The iPhone has a great UI, but not much more. With this being the case, I am content with my Nokia and iPod Touch. Apple has to do better than this.

Posted by Don Trammell on September 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

Congratulations on being an American in Europe, Don, and I wither in shame and regret over the comparative immaturity of my “mobile telephony environment.”

I like my iPhone a lot, while recognizing some of its shortcomings. That said, I have WiFi at home and at work, and at a number of other places I go regularly, so I don’t really think you are necessarily where I am “trying to go.” I am also tremendously happy that you enjoy toting around two devices in your allegedly mature environs. I can live with EDGE speeds when I have to, especially since I am no longer lugging around an iPod in one pocket and a Treo in the other.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat. Given that I didn’t care to have a bunch of crap weighing down my khakis everyday, I’m pretty happy with the function and form of the “old technology” and the “not much more” that the iPhone represents.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 27, 2007 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

I do design websitres and i like java. but my job is senior computer tech and java gives me a very hard time with many applications that we have here in fort benning.

the iphone with java,...i ask myself is there really a NEED??? no, i vot no for java on the iphone.

they just crying lke the others who didn’t get included by apples device.

Posted by dennis on September 27, 2007 at 3:39 PM (PDT)

for all those who feel compelled to defend their purchases, i.e. other mp3 players, cellphones, camera, et cetera….....you are starting to live out the phrase “he does protest to much”. If the iPhone was not your cup of tea, then move on and enjoy the items that you did purchase. Otherwise, sell the stuff you bought and by a damned iPhone so we owners can stop listening to your endless, mindless ramblings of you justifying your purchases in comparison to ours.

Posted by jim on September 27, 2007 at 6:47 PM (PDT)

Java is a hammer and Sun is looking for nails….

Posted by tom k on September 28, 2007 at 12:21 PM (PDT)