Survey: 17 percent of U.S. teens own iPhones | iLounge News

Survey: 17 percent of U.S. teens own iPhones

Nearly two out of every ten U.S. teens now owns an iPhone, according to the results of the latest Piper Jaffray bi-annual teen survey. Fortune reports that 17 percent of teens said they own an iPhone, up from 14 percent in the October 2010 survey. Perhaps more importantly, 37 percent said they plan on purchasing—or having their parents purchase for them—an iPhone in the next sixth months, up from 33 percent in the prior survey. 22 percent said they either owned a tablet or had one in their household, 20 percent expect said they expected to purchase one in the next sixth months, and 86 percent said they owned an iPod, up from 78 percent in the October survey. The survey was based on responses from 4,500 U.S. teenagers.

« Atari releases massive retro gaming pack

Apple orders 12 petabytes of storage for iTunes? »

Comments

I’ve had an iphone since I was 17, now Im 20.

Posted by lin lin on April 6, 2011 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

Of the 17% of teens who own iPhones, only 1% actually pay for their own cellular bills.

Probably including the poster above.

Posted by Truth on April 6, 2011 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

@2: Maybe, all I know is that my kids won’t have anything better than the future equivalent of the $10/month TracFone service their dad is happy to use unless they are paying their own bills.

I would question the very fitness to be a parent of anyone, even a billionaire, who pays for their teens’ bills of premium services. Give them what they *need*, make them work for everything else.

They might need a cell phone in today’s world to keep in touch with you, or if there’s car trouble, or their driver is plastered and you need to come pick them up, but what they do not need by any stretch of the imagination, is a smartphone of any kind.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on April 6, 2011 at 7:28 PM (PDT)

Feeling a little vengeful today, Mr. Codemonkey? Question people’s fitness to be parents over a cellphone decision? Wow.

Posted by Clint on April 6, 2011 at 9:34 PM (PDT)

@3: I certainly believe you have the right to provide for your kids as you see fit. I do think that you may be out of line questioning anyone’s parenting abilities based on giving kids any premium mobile services.

Giving kids only what they “*need*” is not the only way to teach them to value things. Kids need food, shelter, education, protection and affection. But giving them nice things (within your individual means) and teaching them to value those items does not equal poor parenting. My parents gave me as much as they could within their budget. But I also was expected to earn those things by doing chores, making good grades, etc. If I did not meet those standards, those things were taken away until I was back on track. And I feel that I have turned out to be a pretty well balanced adult that is now raising kids in the same manner.

With that said, I do agree that many kids are simply spoiled and given anything they want and never taught to appreciate the things they have. That is a very different thing than responsibly providing some of the niceties to your children.

Posted by Mitch on April 7, 2011 at 4:29 AM (PDT)

@4: Yes, I question parents’ fitness over cell phone decisions. This surprises you how? wink

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on April 7, 2011 at 4:59 AM (PDT)

You’re being a bit literal there, Mitch. My kids have had i-Devices since they were 2 (granted, mostly hand me downs, but, no, they don’t *need* them). An iPhone, however, is a completely different beast. The data plan alone exceeds what I will spend on Christmas presents combined. It’s simply a ridiculously expensive device compared to what its practical function is. As my parents told me, they were happy to buy me what they felt I should have. If I wanted anything they didn’t think was appropriate, go get a job.  So, while I might be willing to spring the initial cost for an iPhone as a Christmas present, the bill would be their responsibility - if they don’t want saddled with that, maybe a touch + a cheap phone is a better solution.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on April 7, 2011 at 5:01 AM (PDT)

I feel that it’s up to each parent to deside what’s right and wrong to give to their kids. I also feel that kids should not just be given things such as an iphone or blackberry and not have some kind of agreement with the parents. Saying if you don’t keep up the good grades or help around the house.

As a teen once. I was told by my parents that if I wanted something like that I had to work for it. It all goes back to the same saying (do you give your kids a car?) OR do you let them buy their own car?

For me I think a teen or anyone for that matter would take better care of something that they had to work/pay for on their own.

So my point is if you feel the need to give your teen a iphone or smartphone. Let them work for it and earn it like everyone else in the works.

Posted by Nathan on April 7, 2011 at 5:03 AM (PDT)

I was being very literal. And I agree quite a bit more with your more direct response. At 12, I felt my daughter needed a very basic mobile phone based on some of her extracurricular activities. At 14, I opted for a smart-phone (albeit the $19.99 Pantech) because there was some value in being more connected once high school started. So her birthday gift was a $20 phone and the $20/month data plan. That is $260 total for the year…or about what I would have spent on an iPod Touch. The iPod ended up being something she wanted for Christmas, so she wound up with both.

I am teaching my kids that these devices are not merely entertainment, but tools to be used in all aspects of their lives. She has grasped that concept with her phone fairly well. She uses resources on the web frequently. I am still working on getting her to see the iPod the same way. So far it is only a music, video and gaming device. Even though I have loaded apps that can be used for more constructive purposes. wink

Posted by Mitch on April 7, 2011 at 5:39 AM (PDT)