Survey: 31% of U.S. iPhone 4 owners may switch to Verizon | iLounge News

Survey: 31% of U.S. iPhone 4 owners may switch to Verizon

An addition to ChangeWave’s July survey suggests that nearly one-third of U.S. iPhone 4 users would be likely to switch to Verizon as their service provider should the carrier begin offering the iPhone. 18% of iPhone 4 users said they would be “somewhat likely” to switch, while 13% said they would be “very likely” to switch. Notably, the survey results shared earlier this month indicated that the requirement of using AT&T was iPhone 4 owners’ biggest dislike, with 27% of the vote, followed closely by dislike of the coverage/speed/quality of AT&T’s 3G network at 24%. ChangeWave’s survey was based on the reactions and opinions of 213 Apple iPhone 4 owners. In addition, Fortune points to a similar July survey of 1,000 consumers from Morpace that found 47% of current iPhone customers who would consider a Verizon iPhone, with 34% of current AT&T iPhone users who are waiting for the iPhone to become available on another carrier before upgrading.

« iOS 4 code points to next-gen iPhone, iPad testing

Square Enix releases Chaos Rings for iPad »

Comments

Heck, I’ve ALREADY switched to Verizon after three years with an iPhone (first the original iPhone, then the iPhone 3GS). I loved my iPhone, but AT&T’s dropped calls were so frequent (6-12 a day, without exaggeration) that I just couldn’t take it any more.

On Verizon now, with no dropped calls since I joined a month and a half ago. Not a smart phone, just a little feature phone. Waiting to see if there is an imminent move to Verizon for the iPhone, and if not then I’ll get a Droid or Blackberry. Willing to wait a few months, though, and see what happens.

Posted by lkalliance on August 16, 2010 at 3:02 PM (CDT)

And as soon as Verizon gets the iPhone and 5-6 million instant data users? They will have the same issues as ATT.

Can’t wait to read and hear how that story is spun?

Posted by Tom on August 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM (CDT)

And then there are people like me, who are on yet another carrier altogether (I’m on Sprint, so I am on neither Verizon nor AT&T) who would seriously consider switching off of Sprint should the iPhone become available on Verizon. There is no way in hell I would switch from Sprint to AT&T, but I will for Verizon when V gets the iPhone.

My general impression is that Verizon has way more cell towers in the big cities, which has been AT&T’s main problem.

Posted by Lani on August 16, 2010 at 3:15 PM (CDT)

If you have an iPhone 4, with a 2 yr contract, why would you purchase yet another phone, with another contract? Any dramatic change in subscribers won’t come until 2 years from now.

Any by then, Verizon’s network will be so flooded with new iPhone users, everyone will be clamoring to get back to AT&T.

I personally can’t wait for V to get the iPhone so I can stop hearing people complaining about AT&T and how the iPhone is “locked into AT&T”. One less thing to listen to everyone complain about.

And, I get my data network back…see, they hate AT&T, but they love sucking up all of the bandwidth. Good luck on V’s network.

Posted by IronMike on August 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM (CDT)

Tom, you hit the nail on the head! I’ve been an iPhone user since the original. I’ve been an AT&T customer since before they switched the name to Cingular and back to AT&T. I’ve never had any problems. I haven’t dropped a single call with the new iPhone. Customer service has always been great to me. Let them go to Verizon. Like Tom said, 5-6 million new customers is a lot for any network to handle.

Posted by Jason on August 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM (CDT)

AT&T has done it to itself with the worst service in the industry. Their authorized retailers are horrible, hold onto your wallet when dealing with them. AT&T does not support any of the hardware it sells particularly when it is sold through one of these retailers. I have heard so many horror stories. I have a nightmare Motorola backflip unit that AT&T has refused to do anything about. I like so many others are leaving AT&T the first chance we get.

Posted by Stacy on August 17, 2010 at 9:43 AM (CDT)

#5, I have the same yet opposite experience as you. I too started with AT&T-before-Cingular, and life was great UNTIL the iPhone 3G. Since then, I’ve had more than my share of dropped calls and sluggish or even intermittent data, all in the same geographic location.

#2, you make a good point, but let’s see if Verizon is PROactive on adding cellular bandwidth, rather than REactive like AT&T.

#4, all of us iPhone users are still “Locked In” to a network, regardless of which network carries the device.

Posted by Farnsworth on August 17, 2010 at 10:04 AM (CDT)

I have two of our 4 phones moved off of AT&T over to V.  The 3rd is off contract on 8/31/10 and will be on V on 10/1.

The last phone…heck, I may even pay the breakup fee.  Too many dropped calls and in my home coverage area, VMs and SMS show up when they feel like it.  Often hours and days after they’ve been sent.

Posted by Charles Farely on August 17, 2010 at 10:57 AM (CDT)

I can’t wait until my AT&T contract is up so that I can go back to Verizon!  I was with V for several years and never had one dropped call.  On AT&T, I drop several calls per day sometimes for seemingly no reason.  I don’t care if Verizon has an iPhone or not AT&T will soon be in my rearview mirror.  If Verizon did get an iPhone though I would be tempted to pay to break my AT&T contract early.

Posted by Michael C on August 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM (CDT)