Survey: 50 percent of iPhone purchasers ‘switchers’ | iLounge News

Survey: 50 percent of iPhone purchasers ‘switchers’

According to a survey done by Interpret of Santa Monica, CA, half of iPhone purchasers switched from another carrier, and 35 percent of those paid an average of $167 to break an existing cellular contract. Interpret’s chief strategy officer, Jason Kramer, calls the survey findings to be “pretty much off the charts.” In addition to the carrier numbers, 90 percent of iPhone owners said they were “extremely” or “very” satisfied with their phones, while 85 percent said they were also “extremely” or “very” likely to recommend the device to others. Interestingly, three out of ten iPhone buyers were new to Apple, and for an even more surprising 40 percent, the device represents their first iPod.

« Griffin launches SmartScan iTrip station finder

Griffin unveils Streamline Armband for iPod, nano »

Comments

I was among the switchers.  AT&T is almost as good as Verizon around here, and the iPhone plan is much cheaper than the smartphone plans Verizon has.

Luckily for me, my contract was up on the 7th with Verizon and I was able to transfer my sidekick contract over to a friend.

Posted by Bethany on July 13, 2007 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

Bethany-

Just wait until your first go-round w/AT&T customer service.

There’s a reason AT&T was BANNED from my home.

Good luck.

Posted by Dave Geller on July 13, 2007 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

I’ve had a few “go-rounds” with AT&T’s customer service and have zero complaints so far.

Posted by davevoytek on July 13, 2007 at 9:11 AM (PDT)

I’m with Cingular since i have my first Cell phoneand i’m happy, now it’s ATT and since my conract did run out last year may i’ll get me a new contract with ATT with the IPhone.

I actl. waited since may2006 until the IPhone came out and took the month to month way and even bought me another cellphone from Ebay, just so that i have not to get in a new contract so that i’m ready for the IPhone.

Now I’ll wait a few weeks and then i’ll get this hot sweet baby…. I already told my wife that i’ll kick her out the bed and lay the IPhone next to me .. wink

Posted by dennis on July 13, 2007 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

Broke away from tmobile sidekick to at&t iphone, so far so good, customer service was great both att & apple and iphone is the best thing ever.

Posted by franky on July 13, 2007 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

Calling out one cellphone company for poor customer service is sort of like Charlie Murphy blaming Rick James’ pinky for getting slapped in the face;)

Let’s put it this way:  I’ve been with 3 different cellphone companies, and they all have their issues.  Of the 3, AT&T has been the best so far.  Give them time though;)

At least if your iPhone doesn’t work, you can get help from Apple.

Posted by David on July 13, 2007 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

I agree with David, *all* cellular companies stink in the customer service department.

I switched from T-Mobile when I bought my iPhone and had to contact AT&T to set up a family plan and port my old numbers over.  It was a *very* pleasant experience.  Far better than the horrid service I used to get from Sprint long ago…

Posted by LagunaSol on July 13, 2007 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

I had just the opposite experience from ATT and cancelled both my contract and my ownership of the phone.

Their plans and coverage for traveling outside the USA are unrealistic - the pricing is much higher than T-Mobile, and the coverage/quality of service did not improve versus my 3-yr old Nokia.

The iPhone is sweet, no doubt about it but I think Apple made a pact with the devil

Posted by mike on July 13, 2007 at 11:42 AM (PDT)

I’m w/Verizon for phone and have a T-Mobile Sidekick 3 for data.

There is no doubt that I’ve had some frustrating CS experiences w/both of them.  However, Verizon CS has always eventually been able to work things out to my satisfaction.  T-Mobile pretty much just tells you you’re S.O.L.

My experiences w/AT&T, on the other hand, have been nothing short of THE WORST!  Repeated telemarketing calls at 8am on weekends, CS reps cursing me out before hanging up on me and lack of resolution to my issues.

Of course, when I was a customer of their’s my threats of dumping them were usually met w/indifference.  Then, when I cancelled my home, my cell and my wife’s cell for other providers all of a sudden I had the customer retention group calling me.  By then it was way too late.

Maybe things have changed since the old AT&T merged w/Cingular, but I’ll likely never know as AT&T has already lost me as a customer for life.

Hopefully your experiences w/AT&T will be better than mine ever were.

Posted by Dave Geller on July 13, 2007 at 11:44 AM (PDT)

i have to tell…. When i call, i always ask “what’s up how is ur day so far,.. having lots of work” ..most CS rep are supprised that i ask that and they melt down quick…. i always then get the best support….up to 98%

I called from DELL to Cingular to Power/Water service.. and everytime i start these question 98% i received posotive feedback.

I work as a Computer Tech and our helpdesk have handfull of phone work. It is sometimes very hard to deal with the customer and i know that after a time u get a aggression when just the phone rings,..lol ( I had to help out for a few days, i know)

.. so, thats why im always a bit extra friendly and i get what i want. .. my wife don’t understand that i always get poistive help, but I get what i want wink

Posted by Dennis on July 13, 2007 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

Dennis-

I work in IT as well and got my start in a help desk capacity, so I fully understand what you’re saying.  It was a very frustrating experience.  That’s why I got into another area of IT.

If somoene doesn’t have the patience to deal w/customer complaints then maybe a career in consumer customer service isn’t the right line of work for them.

It’s one thing to be courteous when you call CS.  It’s another thing to have to kiss their butts to get them to do their job.

Posted by Dave Geller on July 13, 2007 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

‘Nuff said.

Posted by Doctor Mantis on July 13, 2007 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

Dave-
u right smile and i’m glad that im not the one answering the phone. I think sometimes u have no other choice to kiss a C/S butt to get them to do their job (u right) and i’m glad i never had to do that. I’m just trying to work with them.

It’s funny, everytime the older ladies are asking for me wink ... lol,... and ,... u know,... lol…

Posted by dennis on July 13, 2007 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

I’m sorry you feel the way you do Dave Gellar about AT&T but because I am an employee I do have to remind everyone else that your not exactly telling the truth. For one thing, AT&T/SBC/Southwestern Bell has always had a NO OUTBOUND CALLS Policy in place. So it’s impossible that you were ever called at home by a representative of our company. Sorry…please try again.

Posted by Wanga on July 13, 2007 at 8:01 PM (PDT)

Well, Wanga… I can tell u this that (not for me) for my grnamda now, .. wink she received so many calles from customer service reps’ on the weekend that when i call and just to make a joke with her she cursethe S*** out of me because she thinks im one of these customer reps again. ... i have experienced it when i was over grandma’s and it was sad to see her getting bothered on a WEEKEND with this kind of stuff.

customer reps are special and there will always be a pro and con, some proble don’t even mean no harm when they call (i’m sure) but they forgot that there are millions of them out there, and only 10 are enough to get someone upset on the other line….

Posted by dennis on July 14, 2007 at 5:59 PM (PDT)

I was a Verizon customer 4 years ago, but found there coverage lacking in my general local (Charlotte, NC) also was not happy with their international roaming and esp not their customer service.

Since been with Cingular (now AT&T) and fine their coverage MUCH better.  This is very localized for sure, so buy into the network and not necessarily the phone.  Also very pleased with Cingular customer service (no exp yet with AT&T).

Fortunately I have have both the iPhone and the best network in my area!

Posted by Grey Mull on July 15, 2007 at 2:14 PM (PDT)