Survey: Digital music players take over America
A recent study by the Pew Internet & American Life Project found that more than 22 million U.S. adults—11% of the population—have digital music players such as Apple’s iPod. “It’s safe to say that there are several million more MP3 players owned in the teen world, but we did not survey teens in this poll,” explained Pew’s Lee Rainie.
According to the survey, men (14%) are more likely to have MP3 players than women (9%). Nearly one in five (19%) under the age of 30 have the devices, while 14% of those ages 30-39 have them and 14% of those ages 40-48.
The study also found that portable music players are more common with those with a higher income, internet users, and broadband customers. A quarter (24%) of those earning more than $75,000 a year have them. And those who use the internet are four times (15%) as likely as non-internet users (4%) to be MP3 player owners. Finally, the Pew survey reported that some 23% of those with broadband at home have the devices, compared to 9% of those who have dial-up.
The nationwide phone survey was taken between January 13 and February 9 and involved 2,200 people.
Apple has sold more than 10 million iPods since its introduction in 2001.
- Apple releases iOS 7.1
- Report: iOS 7.1 due within week, before SXSW
- Apps: Bejeweled 1.7.1, Frozen: Storybook Deluxe, Learnist + Toca Pet Doctor
- Microsoft plans to extend Xbox Live to iOS games
- iLounge Game Spotlight: God of Light
- Apps: Another Case Solved, Instapaper 5.1.5, Slack 1.33 + Yahoo News Digest 1.1
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple updates Remote app with improved Apple TV integration
- iOS 7.1 reveals two new iPad models?
- Apple TV 6.1 update released, allows users to hide channels
- Apple releases iOS 7.1
- Apple iPhone trade-in program arrives in Canada
- Apple TV adds iTunes Festival channel
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Doggins
- Apps: Findery, Gmail 3.0, Real Racing 3 2.1 + Star Wars: KOTOR 1.2
- Apple ‘scrambling’ to meet FTC deadline on in-app purchases
- Report: Mercedes working on aftermarket CarPlay installations
- Grovemade Bamboo iPad Case for iPad mini
- Soundfreaq Sound Rise SFQ-08 Wireless Speaker with Alarm Clock
- Chil PowerShare Reactor 5.1 Amp Multidevice Charger
- TwelveSouth SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Neptor NP056K Dual Port Portable Battery Charger
- RooCase Dual-View 360 for iPad Air
- Mophie Space Pack for iPhone 5/5s
- SnowLizard Products SLXtreme 5 for iPhone 5/5s
- Lepow Moonstone 9000mAh Power Bank
- Thought Out PED4 Planet IPA10 for iPad Air
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone