Survey: Digital music players take over America
A recent study by the Pew Internet & American Life Project found that more than 22 million U.S. adults—11% of the population—have digital music players such as Apple’s iPod. “It’s safe to say that there are several million more MP3 players owned in the teen world, but we did not survey teens in this poll,” explained Pew’s Lee Rainie.
According to the survey, men (14%) are more likely to have MP3 players than women (9%). Nearly one in five (19%) under the age of 30 have the devices, while 14% of those ages 30-39 have them and 14% of those ages 40-48.
The study also found that portable music players are more common with those with a higher income, internet users, and broadband customers. A quarter (24%) of those earning more than $75,000 a year have them. And those who use the internet are four times (15%) as likely as non-internet users (4%) to be MP3 player owners. Finally, the Pew survey reported that some 23% of those with broadband at home have the devices, compared to 9% of those who have dial-up.
The nationwide phone survey was taken between January 13 and February 9 and involved 2,200 people.
Apple has sold more than 10 million iPods since its introduction in 2001.
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1, iTunes 12.2.2
- Apple releases fifth iOS 9 beta to developers
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Apple releases second iOS 9 public beta
- Home Sharing for Music returns in iOS 9 beta 4
- FastMail adds full support for push e-mail in iOS Mail
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Report: Apple behind San Francisco ‘mystery event’ in early September
- Taiwan court rules Samsung used stolen trade secrets to make A9 chip
- Apple loses German patent lawsuit over slide-to-unlock feature
- Best Buy expanding Apple Watch sales to all its stores in September
- Philips introduces dimmer remote kit for Hue lights
- Report: Apple ending One to One tutoring program
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- Wirelessky iStand 6 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?