Survey: iPhone ‘set to rock the cell phone industry’ | iLounge News

Survey: iPhone ‘set to rock the cell phone industry’

According to a survey taken by ChangeWave Alliance, Apple’s iPhone is primed to have an immense effect on the rest of the cell phone industry. “The findings of our latest ChangeWave cell phone survey invite extremes to describe the startling impact the Apple iPhone is having on the cellular industry. Nearly one-in-10 respondents (9%) say they are likely to buy the new iPhone once it becomes available in June,” writes Paul Carton of ChangeWave. “Thanks to our early adopters of the ChangeWave Alliance we are able to see with stark clarity how the Apple iPhone is set to rock the cell phone industry.” Tobin Smith, founder of ChangeWave Research and editor of ChangeWave Investing, added: “As more and more consumers switch to the iPhone, we are going to see a huge migration from cell phone manufacturers like Motorola to the hipper, cooler iPhone.” [via TUAW]

« EA to release four new iPod games

Boston Innovative intros iMep iPod boombox »

Comments

yep, when it’s AFFORDABLE and CONTRACT FREE…

Posted by kloan on May 8, 2007 at 10:00 PM (CDT)

Don’t be a hater just because “you” can’t afford it. You will see it will sell a lot of units even with it’s price being what it is. Actually it is really not as expensive as you think. The new Palm treos go for $300. Think about it even the most modern Palm Treos only come with 128mb of ram, compare that to iPhones 4 & 8gb. Plus you get a all around much better device. Just looking at the demos of the iPhone I can tell it is much better interface wise than any Palm running any os. I will be first in line and I believe so will many others.

Posted by dozx on May 9, 2007 at 12:56 AM (CDT)

only one person can be first in line

Posted by sighte on May 9, 2007 at 2:04 AM (CDT)

I don’t think I’m mistaken in saying the iPhone will NOT have 4 or 8Gigs of RAM. Comparing apples and oranges there me thinks

Posted by satram on May 9, 2007 at 4:15 AM (CDT)

Actually, I don’t know what to do with iPhone. use it to make a phone call or listen to the music? well, I’m not a hater here. you know I could call anyone with my cellphone, and listen to music with my ipod. combine these together? yep, make sense, but most cellphone got the function. But one thing I think it’s worthy to get an iPone is that you don’t need another iPhone video or audio converter if you have got a mp4converter ipod video converter for Windows or for OSX.

Posted by Mickle on May 9, 2007 at 4:38 AM (CDT)

Huge price, crappy carrier, nasty form factor, inability to use iPod while lying down,  lack of tactile feedback on ‘keyboard’, not allowed installation of new software, crappy memory size, no games, no ability to add memory, irreplacable battery.

I’ll stick with my Treo 650 and 1GB SD card.

The new Treo 755p is $280 with contract and has a REAL keyboard and has EV-DO, something the iPhone can’t have.

No one in their right mind who heavily uses text messages will use a touchscreen interface.

Posted by Christopher Glass on May 9, 2007 at 4:39 AM (CDT)

Christopher, you say crappy memory size yet say you’ll stick with your (obviosuly far superior) 1GB SD card.

I’m also intrigued as to what happens when you lie down, do you lose the ability to use your hands?

I admit the iPhone will have some flaws, lack of freely available software, but providing Apple provide it (and they said they will) it won’t be so much of an issue. The lack of a tactile keyboard is also another issue, but different strokes for different folks. I can’t fault teh form factor though, it looks perfect, proof is in the pudding though…

I’ll probably end up buying one in a year or 2 when they are network free (in case you didn’t know, in most countries it’s law for manufacturers to unlock the phone after the contract expires, this is defintely the case for the UK). This also applies for prepay phones, they shouldn’t be sold locked, and networks must provide you with a code to unlock it (most will charge you circa £15-20

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no fanboy, but please think about what you’re typing before you contradict yourself. Just open your mind and see it from someone elses perspective

Posted by silver_haze20 on May 9, 2007 at 8:34 AM (CDT)

It’s funny—all these opinions about how the iPhone is a piece of crap or doesn’t do this or doesn’t have that, and it hasn’t even been released to get feedback from actual “users.” Let’s wait and base our opinions on some hard facts about 6 mos after the release. Then we will have something to debate.

Posted by Trace in US on May 9, 2007 at 8:42 AM (CDT)

Hey Christopher Glass, You keep using that lame Palm device made by a company with one foot in the grave, and a total lack of innovation or good design. I really could care less about what you like or dislike, I’m just saying that I will be getting an iPhone. Palm? Been there done that, same old same old! Just want to point out some mistakes in your post though.

1. The form factor is better than Plam Treo, in fact it is nearly the same hight and width but it is much slimmer.

2. What the hell do you mean you can’t use it while lying down???????

3. Yes, you are allowed to install new software. But, software will be quality checked by Apple before it has a chance to screw up your iPhone and make it crash for the rest of it’s life.

4.I don’t know where you come off saying “crappy memory size”. Last time I checked 128mb was a whole lot less then 4 or 8gb.

5. I will make you a bet that there will be games, so don’t even go there.

Posted by dozx on May 9, 2007 at 8:47 AM (CDT)

dozx,

no. you cannot install software to the iphone.  that was clearly explained in a new york times evaluation of the iphone (go to nytimes.com and search for “ultimate iphone frequently asked questions”):

“Can I add new programs to it?—No. Apple wants to control the look and feel and behavior of every aspect of the phone.”

as to the memory issue, on a treo or any other smart phone (which is a poor comparison since the iphone is definitely NOT a smart phone) memory can be expanded with sd cards, micro sd cards, cf cards to any size you want…  i can buy an 8gb sd card for less than $100 online which still puts me at far less cost than the iphone.

i agree with christopher.  apple is going after people who “need” the iphone because it’s cool, not because it’s practical.  for those of us who actually need a phone/pda (meaning the people who would be willing $600 to spend on a phone and $100 each month for the additional required data package), the iphone is not a solution.

it’s a cool looking device, but it just doesn’t improve on anything that’s out there.  it’s current technology with a fancy package.

Posted by John on May 9, 2007 at 2:37 PM (CDT)

I totally thing the iPhone is one of, if not THE BEST looking/designed gadgets to-date. BUT, the price point is way off if they expect to take over the market. THAT’S what I’m commenting on. Read closer ‘dozx’.

It does have the best UI any of us have ever seen, and it’s probably going to be an amazing gadget (hopefully Apple will work out ALL of the kinks before it’s released)

But pricing it at $599US w/contract is just not going to sell it by leaps and bounds.

Maybe I’m just a little peeved I won’t be able to get it in Canada yet, and even if I were able to, Rogers prices their phones well above and beyond what the true market value of them is worth. It’s not a matter of wheter or not I can afford to buy it, it’s a matter of principle. They’re overpriced (aren’t all cellphones???) and they’re [so far] requiring a contract, which in my opinion is BS. I use pay-as-you-go and I also have a work phone. Two different carriers, and I’d like to be able to swap sim cards as well, yet another negative by selling these locked to specific carriers.

Posted by kloan on May 9, 2007 at 5:16 PM (CDT)

I’m surprised no-one has pointed out the flaw in the survey yet.  ChangeWave says “Thanks to our early adopters of the ChangeWave Alliance we are able to see with stark clarity how the Apple iPhone is set to rock the cell phone industry.”  Even if early adaptors make up 20% of the market (which they don’t), then 1 out of 10 equals 2% of the market - that’s more of a blip, not rocking the industry.

Posted by Jess on May 9, 2007 at 5:33 PM (CDT)

For my phone I only need 1GB, if that, because I don’t keep songs or videos on it. That’s why I have an iPod with a hard drive. But combining the two devices means I’m going to need more than the measly 8GB, especially if I plan to ever watch videos on it. (I have a shuffle, a 40GB and an 80GB iPod)

Apple wants you to get an iPhone to REPLACE your phone, pda AND iPod. So anybody with an iPod over 8GB or a smartphone is going to be making compromises if they want this.

Turning the iPhone sideways means that it enables the Coverflow. That means if YOU turn sideways, it will, too.

As for the form factor, the screen is flush with the face of the device, so it’s going to get scratched and marked, easily, unless you get a case, which means that it loses the ability to answer it quickly. Or you can get a screen cover, which you’ll have to replace every month, or so, for a price. I have a PSP, I know what this entails.

And thinking more about the games, you’re right. There probably will be, but I can’t imagine using the touchscreen for buttons. It’s going to be a nasty interface outside of stylus-based games. (Which can be great, though)

On a side note, a 16GB SDhc card was shown off yesterday. $3200, though.

Posted by Christopher Glass on May 9, 2007 at 6:35 PM (CDT)

...Apple wants you to get an iPhone to REPLACE your phone, pda AND iPod.

Yes it converges a number of devices, but it doesn’t do 3G and won’t have nifty (if somewhat gimmicky) features like Verizon’s VCast mobile TV service. After playing around with a LG VX9400, I’m falling into the camp that thinks real-time media streaming is more significant than merely playing stored media files.

Next iteration of the iPhone, perhaps…assuming partner ATT can get its 3G act together first.

Posted by flatline response on May 9, 2007 at 6:55 PM (CDT)

Well, for the average person, $300 with contract is still too much for a phone. And I find it weird that all these people who are arguing about the iPhone and its capabilities have never even TOUCHED one before, let alone played with the interface. Unless one of you works at iLounge or is Steve Jobs.

Posted by The Soup Nazi on May 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM (CDT)