Survey: iPod owners more honest | iLounge News

Survey: iPod owners more honest

iPod owners are significantly less likely to download music illegally, according to a new report by XTN Data. In a recent consumer survey, the research firm found that while 25% of people regularly download music using file-sharing software, only 7% of iPod owners do so. The report also found that iPod owners buy 25% more albums (2.26 albums every month) than the average music fan, and that 79% regularly listen to music via the radio, and 50% regularly download music from iTunes.

« Apple’s Jobs suggests Dell should eat his words

XtremeMac offers NBA Iconz iPod cases »

Comments

Probably because most people buy ipods then realise they don’t have nearly enough music to come close to filling it.  If you need motivation to start a music collection, buy an ipod.

Posted by enigma on January 13, 2006 at 7:23 PM (CST)

I don’t know about you, but I’d stay away from research firms if they are asking questions that can get me in trouble with Big Brother.

Posted by Jason on January 13, 2006 at 7:26 PM (CST)

The study is bunk, or at least stretching things. There are only about 20 songs *downloaded* from the iTMS for every single iPod ever sold, so there’s just no way that *half* are downloading regularly. Plus, the use of the word *download* as opposed to *purchase* is telling as well; I download about 1 song a week from the iTMS and pay for none of them.

I would also be curious to see what sort of control was used for *iPod* owners as opposed to all DAPs. I’ve got no problem believing that DAP owners purchase more albums, but there’s certainly nothing special about the iPod for inducing someone to buy more music. Any decent DAP + music lover = more music consumption.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on January 13, 2006 at 7:55 PM (CST)

hahahaha funny article.

Posted by morpheus on January 13, 2006 at 8:00 PM (CST)

I wouldnt necessarily consider that true. But I for one hae started buying quite a bit of music from the iTunes music store lately. Maybe its because I dont feel like putting up with looking for files on p2p programs, and hving to find a version that isnt bad quality, or ripped incorrectly. I can just go to the itunes store and buy it in seconds.

Posted by JustBlaize on January 13, 2006 at 8:03 PM (CST)

I have a problem with the headline of this article. Downloading music illegally has nothing to do with honesty. It has to do with breaking the law. Honesty would be telling someone “I have downloaded music illegally” or “I have not.” I would hope you would change the headline to reflect this.

Posted by Lark on January 13, 2006 at 9:01 PM (CST)

props to codemonkey and lark, excellent points

i get all my music from +friends+ ;-)

Posted by elnoobmasgrande on January 13, 2006 at 10:43 PM (CST)

As for the headlines, of course you can expect the writers to spice it up a bit. After all, a headline “iPod owners more honest” is more intriguing as say “iPod owners purchase more music off ITMS.” This is probably the same reason they did the study for ipod owners, as opposed to just any DAP. Right now, the iPod is one of the hottest gadgets around. It’s ahousehold name and journalists would rather use the term ipod than simply mp3 player because the public is familiar with it.
So yes, there is nothing special about the ipod, as opposed to other mp3 players that induce people to buy music. But the fact that the survey was limited to the ipod is not ignorance of this fact, it is just that journalists are looking for stories that are popular nowadays.
And finally, I know a lot more people who buy albums off ITMS regularly rather than just download that one free one each week. In fact, I’ve only downloaded about 4 of those freebies, simply because more often than not, its just not my type of music they offer. And with thousands of purchases each day, that one free music is almost negligible. So in essence, i think that yes, downloads do not equal purchases, but the difference is very slight.
And o btw, on average i purchase about 3 albums per month.

Posted by jeffvinci on January 13, 2006 at 11:29 PM (CST)

You can still buy music?

Posted by Robototobor on January 14, 2006 at 12:19 AM (CST)

gee, is it a surprise that more ipod owners download from iTMS than owners of other mp3 players? i think many more non-ipod owners would begin downloading songs from iTMS if it weren’t in a format that only the ipod could read. then again, that is the reason only ipods can play them; to get people to buy ipods. so is it any surprise that ipod owners download from iTMS, where owners of other mp3 players don’t?

Posted by Johnny on January 14, 2006 at 10:11 AM (CST)

I’m just as shocked as you, Robotobor.  The way the music industry is going, with all the copy restrictions and rootkits/spyware and all (thanks a pantload, Sony!), I’m surprised the record companies even allow you to actually LISTEN to the music one can purchase anymore.

Posted by Jeff on January 14, 2006 at 10:45 AM (CST)

But Jeff, no writer or journalist should ‘spice up a headline’ when it gives the reader false information about what’s in the article and really has nothing to do with the article at all. That is sensationalism, not journalism.

Posted by Lark on January 14, 2006 at 12:09 PM (CST)

“Honesty” according to American Heritage dictionary is “The quality or condition of being honest; integrity.” “Integrity” per the same dictionary is “Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.” So, the headline fits!

Posted by Mark on January 14, 2006 at 12:11 PM (CST)

Since iTunes added podcast support I find that I hardly ever listen to music let alone steal it!

Posted by Phillip Meyer on January 14, 2006 at 12:17 PM (CST)

Okay…I think this survey is a bit biased…well not so much biased as the fact that I think the surveyors have drawn the wrong conclusion…for these reasons:

1. Most music listeners who obtain their music over the internet (whether legally or illegally) know about the authorities on the lookout, particularly in the U.S., and so I don’t really think many people would admit to downloading music illegally.

Now now don’t jump to your mice and keyboards to start flaming me for being painfully obvious yet - couple that reason with this one:

2. Most music listeners with DAPs these days are using iPods.

Now wouldn’t you say that tilts the survey results a bit? With iPod users making up the majority of the surveyed population, wouldn’t it be already obvious that there are more honest iPod users than anything else? Or is it all weighted by percentage and I’m dead wrong?

Posted by Nihal in Melbourne, Australia on January 14, 2006 at 12:27 PM (CST)

i never bought music via itunes music store.
and i have over 10,000 songs on my ipod right now.

Posted by navas on January 14, 2006 at 12:40 PM (CST)

Nihal, agreed.  Another was to glorify iPod and its users.  It helps us make us feel better about ourselves.

Posted by Jegero on January 14, 2006 at 2:46 PM (CST)

Only 7% of iPod owners download music illegally? I have a problem belive that for some reason…

Posted by Starbucks on January 14, 2006 at 3:00 PM (CST)

I could say the writer lacks integrity for misleading readers. On the other hand, there are obviously different levels of ‘integrity’ and ‘honesty,’ which, despite dictionary differences, are two related yet very different things. Writing a title that doesn’t quite fit? Not such a big deal. Downloading a song for free? Not really such a big deal either. For those who are downloading 10,000 songs, there may be a problem. But for just a few, while it is breaking the law, it is almost the same thing as not stopping at a stop sign. And we can probably all agree that that has nothing to do with honesty, even if it is, on a small level, undermining government.

Posted by Lark on January 14, 2006 at 3:11 PM (CST)

its not necessarily being honest. its just that most p2p mp3 sharing are full of viruses and banner ads. i found myself paying 50 dollars for a whole year of unlimited downloading.

Posted by Sepultura on January 14, 2006 at 3:12 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >