Survey: iPod owners more honest | iLounge News

Survey: iPod owners more honest

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, January 13, 2006
News Categories: iPod

iPod owners are significantly less likely to download music illegally, according to a new report by XTN Data. In a recent consumer survey, the research firm found that while 25% of people regularly download music using file-sharing software, only 7% of iPod owners do so. The report also found that iPod owners buy 25% more albums (2.26 albums every month) than the average music fan, and that 79% regularly listen to music via the radio, and 50% regularly download music from iTunes.

« Apple’s Jobs suggests Dell should eat his words

XtremeMac offers NBA Iconz iPod cases »

Comments

I know that figure isn’t accurate… I mean, I wasn’t asked where I get my music from, unless “high school cafeteria conversations” is a source.

Posted by Eric on January 14, 2006 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

lark
then i have a problem

Posted by navas on January 14, 2006 at 3:58 PM (PDT)

Breaking the law is being dishonest.  We agree to abid by the laws in this country.  How can you justify “runing a stop sign only a couple of times” as not breaking the law?  Is it breaking the law if you do it 100 times vs. 5 times?  A lie is a lie, breaking the law is BREAKING THE LAW.  It doesn’t matter how big or small.

I’m so disappointed in the lack of morals in people today!

Posted by Erin on January 14, 2006 at 6:05 PM (PDT)

thats complete ######## because millions of people world wide download illigally

Posted by jim on January 14, 2006 at 6:42 PM (PDT)

No, breaking the law is breaking the law. Now if someone, say a cop, asked you if you ran that stop sign and you said no, that would be dishonest. I bet some of the people who participated in the survey were paranoid and lied to XTN Data about downloading music illegally.

Posted by Nobody on January 14, 2006 at 6:43 PM (PDT)

Or we could look at the data this way, by asking what are the two main reasons someone buys a non-iPod player?

1) iPods are generally a bit more expensive = money is a factor so these people are less likely to pay for music if they can get it free.  “Why would I pay X for an iPod when I can get a Nomad for x-$10? And why would I pay $10 for a record I can get for free?”

2) iPods are easier to use, and so attract more new users.  Someone who buys and uses an iPod doesn’t need to know how to use bit torrent, but to get some of the other companies’ players to work often requires advanced knowledge and so their users are more likely to be computer literate enough to download illegal music.

Also since a lot of illegal music programs don’t run on Mac and most Mac users own iPods as opposed to brand x, it also skews the numbers.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on January 14, 2006 at 7:17 PM (PDT)

Limewire is legal. Downloading it for copyright material is legal. Limewire DOES NOT give you virus or let people hack you. Dont listen to some of the people above, theyre most likely 45 year old computer illiterate parents who read their childrens emails. Limewire is perfectly safe to use,  even for downloading copyright material.

Posted by miba on January 14, 2006 at 8:07 PM (PDT)

Alright. I get my music for free. There is absolutely no reason why I should pay for it. All of my 2,000 mp3’s were downloaded for free. I perfer p2p software and web sites that offer free music, rather than wasting my money on music. I stopped paying for cd’s as soon as I obtained my first computer.

Posted by Jackie on January 14, 2006 at 10:19 PM (PDT)

i bittorrent everything

Posted by navas on January 14, 2006 at 10:21 PM (PDT)

Survey: Ipod owners more honest

That’s assuming you didn’t deal your ipod smile

Posted by thebrain on January 15, 2006 at 12:10 AM (PDT)

deal was supposed to say steal

Posted by thebrain on January 15, 2006 at 12:10 AM (PDT)

“Limewire is legal. Downloading it for copyright material is legal….Limewire is perfectly safe to use, even for downloading copyright material.”

WRONG, downloading copyright material off Limewire is not legal. If it was, everyone would stop using other P2P programs and flock to Limewire. Straight off Limewire’s website: “Copyright Infringement:
Copyright laws and laws pertaining to patents and inventions protect original works of authorship and inventions. Individuals who reproduce, distribute copies, receive copies, publicly perform or display works or inventions other than their own and without the consent of the owners or holders of rights, or their authorized agents, in original works of authorship or inventions, may be in violation of copyright, patent or other intellectual property infringement. Lime Wire LLC does not encourage or condone the illegal copying of copyrighted material. This is not intended to be legal counsel or advice. If you have any questions, consult your attorney.”

Posted by Nobody on January 15, 2006 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

I have 12,000 songs on my iPod. But who really cares?

Posted by Triple G on January 15, 2006 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

P.S,
Since I’m not on any record companies payroll, I can care less how people obtain music.

Posted by Triple G on January 15, 2006 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

Yo Triple G,

It’s I couldn’t care less.  I can care less means… well, I can care less, meaning I care.

Posted by Anon on January 15, 2006 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

Obviously, this is an American survey, as it’s still legal to download music in Canada…  Little of my music would be considered “legal”, but it wasn’t illegal for me to obtain it :D

Posted by Anon on January 15, 2006 at 1:34 PM (PDT)

surveys are complete b.s.
theres still going to be ways of downloading music for free.

Posted by navas on January 15, 2006 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

Honesty <> Truthfulness

Bloke at work yesterday complained about Apple Music Store that he couldn’t easily ‘share’ what he downloaded because of the protected format.
Sharing, these days, is such a generous altruistic act heh?

So he’s dishonest AND lazy!

Other bloke at work called me a liar when I told him all 6183 songs on my iPod are legal: either paid for or copyright free!! Music theft is so acceptable nowadays that he wouldn’t believe me even though I’ve had over 30 years of collecting to accumulate my songs..

The survey may or may not be true… but what does it say about our society that the survey was even needed or wanted?

Posted by Bill on January 15, 2006 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

this survery is based out of london.

Posted by navas on January 15, 2006 at 9:17 PM (PDT)

Erin said: “Breaking the law is being dishonest.  We agree to abid (sic) by the laws in this country.  How can you justify “runing (sic) a stop sign only a couple of times? as not breaking the law?  Is it breaking the law if you do it 100 times vs. 5 times?  A lie is a lie, breaking the law is BREAKING THE LAW.”

Hey Erin. I never said running a stop sign wasn’t breaking the “law.” But the only real laws I abide to completely are ones like gravity. The government sets up rules. Most of them should be followed, because it’s in everyone’s best interest to do so. But you tell me: if I am driving at 1 AM, and there is absolutely no one else around, why would I stop at the 4-way stop sign? It’s not in my best interest or in anyone else’s. It has nothing to do with the safety of others. So. Breaking the law is not being dishonest. It’s just…breaking the law. I’m not saying it’s something you should do every day. It’s just something to be reminded of.

Posted by Lark on January 15, 2006 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >