Survey: iPods, podcasts eating into radio listening | iLounge News

Survey: iPods, podcasts eating into radio listening

A new survey by Rock radio consultants Jacobs Media found that iPod ownership has risen sharply among radio listeners. The firm said that the percentage of iPod owners has increased from 21% in its 2005 study to 35% in 2006, and that nearly half (48%) of those who haven’t purchased an iPod or MP3 player say they are very or somewhat likely to soon. Unsurprisingly, Jacobs also said that iPods are eating into radio listening. “There are strong indicators that at least initially, iPods sharply cut into time spent listening to radio,” the firm said. “About one-fifth of iPod owners say they listen mostly or exclusively to these devices. Four in ten now split their listening between iPods and radio, while over one-third primarily listen to the radio.” In addition, Jacobs said that one-fifth (22%) of those who own an iPod say they’ve downloaded a podcast. Of this group, nearly two-thirds (64%) subscribe to at least one podcast.

« Mix: Wolfson, Senator Burns, iPod knock-offs, CustomFlix

Report: Apple set to display ads in iTunes »

Comments

WTF?  I haven’t listened to radio in 20 years.  It was CDs that killed radio, and not necessarily iPods.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on April 25, 2006 at 10:55 AM (CDT)

Apparently there are people that still listen to the radio , , , weird.

Posted by Zac on April 25, 2006 at 11:46 AM (CDT)

between satellite and podcasts, why would you want to listening to terrestrial radio with all of the regulations and constant commercial interuptions?
Not to mention, with 20, 40, or 60 gigs, you can fill your iPod with your entire collection instead of having to tolerate a hodge podge of songs you dislike.

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on April 25, 2006 at 11:48 AM (CDT)

Combine DJ’s babbling with about a 1:1 ratio of songs to commercials, and add a largely crap mix of music, and it’s not just iPods that make us not listen to the radio.

John

Posted by urbanlegend on April 25, 2006 at 12:34 PM (CDT)

Yeah, file this one under “Duh”.  Let’s see… the radio:  1) the same five songs that The Man wants us to like, 2) idiot DJs, 3) commercials, 4) more commercials.

I haven’t listened to the radio in years.

Posted by m.sherman on April 25, 2006 at 12:51 PM (CDT)

There are things that terrestrial radio is still good for. NPR, news, traffic, sports, public stations…even talk radio (well, sometimes)...it’s not all about Clear Channel or Entercom or any of the other mega radio networks and their myopic music programming.

Radio still functions as a link to what’s going on to the world; it doesn’t shut out everything around you like an iPod or Zen does (unless you bothered to pick up an FM tuner for your player, but judging from the tone in this thread, that’s highly unlikely). It’s not all about nimrod radio jocks and endless commercial breaks; terrestrial radio still works if you’re only willing to look and listen.

Posted by flatline response on April 25, 2006 at 1:35 PM (CDT)

I can hear a new hit for the Buggles…

(sing it with me now)

“iPod Killed The Radio Star”

Posted by R. Buckhouse on April 25, 2006 at 3:11 PM (CDT)

I agree with flatline. It would’ve been harder to find out what was going on that day when 4 planes were hijacked without radio.

And you may think I’m weird, but I prefer live talk shows over podcasts!

Posted by Galadriel on April 25, 2006 at 3:46 PM (CDT)

It wasn’t CDs, iPod or XM Radio which killed broadcast radio, it was bad programming.
People don’t want to listen to Mariah Carey or Britney Spears on they radio. (they want to watch BS on in Music Video but that has nothing to do with her music). *They* want to listen to music *they* enjoy. As College Radio Station Broadcast Licences were Eaten up by Clear Channel in the US, Listeners turned elsewhere for their entertainment; Their own music collections, and by extension, their own music players.
The Music Geeks listened to MP3 Players. The Music Geeks who liked Apple listened to iPods. It became cool to listen to an iPod. You could say “I don’t want to listen to what everyone else is listening to, I want to listen to my music.” (Irony has bought this full circle.)

Posted by SalvoDan on April 25, 2006 at 4:42 PM (CDT)

Galadriel, great point. I remember exactly what road I was on driving home when President Bush got on and spoke about what happened.

I listen to the radio for sports and usually morning talk shows. While almost every local radio station has terrible DJs, we have two stations that are actually bearable to listen to.

Posted by nojok3 on April 25, 2006 at 5:33 PM (CDT)

Well, here in Denmark we have some public radio stations - WITHOUT commercials at all.
They provide all kinds of music, rock/pop/jazz/classical/electronic etc. AND news/debate programs. I really like listening to radio which can broaden my perspective of the world, and I believe radio programs are generally more likely to be broadcasted live, hence not edited as heavily as the TV broadcasts.

TV time is also more expensive, so you usually also do not use the 10 extra minutes for an interview - which could provide the needed depth ..

I really like radio between my normal mp3 listening - and think the podcast is a great idea. Very glad that Apple took on the concept and brought it from “underground” to mainstream.

Just my 2 cents.

/Jakob

Posted by Jakob on April 26, 2006 at 3:25 AM (CDT)

I haven’t listened to the radio in 22 years, and that had nothing to do with podcasts, just like the rest of the public.  I don’t think 1 out of 5 of iPod owners having “downloaded a podcast” constitutes a cut in radio listening.  If I were to listen to some free radio like medium I would probably do it on the radio, not by downloading it.

I don’t really think Apple brought it from the underground, it was more like they stole the idea, repackaged it, and tried to take credit for inventing the idea.

Posted by Annihil8or on April 26, 2006 at 3:59 AM (CDT)

I listen to NPR in the morning to get updated on the news.  I listen to several NPR podcasts during the week (On the Media, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, etc.).  I also subscribe to NPR’s This American Life.  I only update my iPod at night, so the shows are at least a day old.  These are programs that I want to listen to on my own time.  For news and such, I still like Morning Edition.

Posted by Bravesirrobin on April 27, 2006 at 2:44 PM (CDT)