Survey shows iPad owners consume more media, are more receptive to ads (Updated)
A recent Nielsen survey suggests that iPad owners are more aggressive consumers of media, and more receptive to advertising than owners of other devices. Nielsen surveyed over 5,000 consumers who already own connected media devices such as tablet computers, eReaders, netbooks and/or smartphones. In addition to noting the nascent market development of tablets, the survey indicated that tablet owners tend to own more connected devices than users of other device types. According to the company, iPad users tend to be younger and more of them are male than users of other connected devices, with 63% of iPad users being under the age of 35, as compared to 47% of Kindle users.
The survey also showed that iPad owners more regularly access traditional print and video content such as books, magazines, TV shows and movies, while news and music are still consumed slightly more by iPhone users. iPad owners also tend to spend more time on content, with the average iPad user spending from 30 minutes to 2 hours at a time depending on the type of content. In comparison, most iPhone users spend less than 15 minutes accessing any type of content, even feature-length movies. Nielsen also notes that 63% of iPad owners have purchased at least one application, with games, books, and music applications being the most common types of paid apps; 5% of respondents downloaded only free apps, and 32% of respondents indicated that they had never downloaded an app for their iPad.
Nielsen also revealed that connected device owners are generally comfortable with mobile advertising, particularly where it means that content can be accessed for free, and that iPad owners are considerably more receptive than iPhone or other connected device owners to advertising, particularly if the ads include interesting video or interactive features. The survey went on to note that iPad owners were much more likely to make a purchase, either online or at a retail store after viewing an ad on their iPad. A summary of the findings is available as a PDF from Nielsen’s site.
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 cellular models available in China this week
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2, fixing missing ringtones issue
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014