Survey shows iPod mini is the right size for most | iLounge News

Survey shows iPod mini is the right size for most

“The online survey found that 90 percent of consumers have no more than 1,000 songs on their PCs. And 77 percent of the consumers Jupiter questioned said they’d be interested in purchasing a portable media player with a capacity of 1,000 songs. The 4GB hard drive included in Apple Computer’s iPod Mini, and in MP3 players from some Apple rivals, holds roughly that number of songs.

The Jupiter Research survey also found that 20 percent of consumers said playing MP3 files is important, versus 7 percent who would prefer files in Microsoft’s WMA format and fewer than 1 percent who prefer the Advanced Audio Coding format, an open standard that was developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group and which is supported on Apple’s iTunes music store.”

« How the iTunes Music Store and FairPlay works

Troubleshooting the iPod and iPod mini »

Comments

your weak if you only have 1000 songs. i wanted the first comment to be a well thought out unintelligent diss.

Edit by Jeremy Horwitz, March 2005: iPodlounge has deleted a collection of negative and derogatory comments from “audiogeek” on our site, which we discovered have been posted by a writer for competing publications. As he has trolled and posted obnoxious comments in a number of threads, picking fights with our readers and editors, he has been banned from the site, and we strongly oppose his repeated mischaracterizations of various products and our editorial opinions. This comments thread was affected by his posts, and has therefore been modestly edited. If any of the other comments below do not make sense in the context of these deletions, we apologize.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on April 23, 2004 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

Another weak ### useless survey. More free publicity for apple….or perhaps not free.

Posted by mGee on April 23, 2004 at 7:19 AM (PDT)

I guess I could settle for 1k songs but I don’t want to.

Posted by Matthew Perry on April 23, 2004 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

I’m waiting for the 100GB iPod. My iTunes library is nearly 88 GB with close to 26,000 songs, and I haven’t even converted my whole CD collection yet. No, I don’t *need* to carry all ~30,000 songs at once, but I’d like to. I have a very short attention span but a long memory, and would like to be able to summon a song from my collection when the moment strikes; managing a collection the size I have on a 20GB 2nd gen. iPod is a bit of a drag.

Posted by Jason on April 23, 2004 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

Wow!  Finally, some statistics to back up what I’ve been saying forever.  This proves that the mini vs. iPod GB argument holds NO water for most people!  Not only do people not feel that they need 2000 hours of music in one sitting, but most of us don’t have 3 billion songs on our computer, anyway…

Posted by nionlights on April 23, 2004 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

so nionlights….how does that make you feel? You are the man…. you and whatever it is you’ve been saying forever. Ahhhh…. validation.

Posted by hola on April 23, 2004 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

The submitter really doesn’t like acronyms.

Posted by br- on April 23, 2004 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

er, the title of that report is actually
“Jupiter: 1,000-song pocket about the right size”
There are other players with that amount of storage other than the mini….

Posted by pomegranate on April 23, 2004 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

I have an iPod Mini for the gym, but for serious road trips I love my 80GB Archos.

But you can never have enough disk space - I am considering getting one of those 700GB monster MP3 rigs for the car.

Posted by Never Enough on April 23, 2004 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

Average Person:  <= 1000 songs.

Music Lover: > 1000 Songs.

Posted by Cameron on April 23, 2004 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

Now dont worry about these useless polls, IF most people have only that much music 1000 songs on their ipods, then they are not music fans or they just are too lazy to encode theyre cds.

Apple WILL come out with a new ipod by this summer that WILL have bigger hard drives, if even to hold more pictures and video. So you girlies just be content with your pastel colored woman minis, and let us big boys with 13000 songs crave our BLACK ipod 4th generation with picture and color screens and with 100 GB of space.

Posted by dude your gettin an ipod on April 23, 2004 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

Ladies & Gentlemen…..

Welcome to the modern day version of the penis-comparing-club: how many songs on YOUR hard drive.

I agree with Cameron but c’mon, don’t slate people for having less than 1000 songs and for f**** sake don’t brag about the size of ‘yours’. It’s a bit pathetic to be honest.

Posted by welcome on April 23, 2004 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

I’m certainly not bragging about the size of my collection; I’ve been collecting music for years—some might say I have a problem—and would like a convenient means of traveling with the wall that my CD/vinyl collection occupies, so I can listen to what I want, when I want.

If someone has less than 1,000 songs in their music collection, there’s something that’s more important to them, obviously, and that’s fine. I certainly don’t begrudge them that, nor do I expect them to understand the level of my preoccupation with music; partly it’s because I love it, and partly it’s because it’s so closely connected to my other hobby/job, which is concert

For what it’s worth, Hitachi announced a 100GB 2.5” drive this week, but the initial price is nearly $1,100.

Posted by Jason on April 23, 2004 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

40G owner has about 19G filled up! I see a need for more storage in another year or so! You mini me’s can keep shuffling your playlists, I want all of my songs in my pocket!

Posted by stylescraper on April 23, 2004 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

bah you could prove anything with statistics.  Anyway, it’s a decent indicator (even if it’s not scientific) but I’ll have to agree with jason.  I bought the 10gig a year ago thinking I would shift songs in and out and saying “Ah 10gig’s enough for everybody” but no… having it all on you is better, especially with us “long memory”/hate repeats types.  Now I’m not going to upgrade anytime soon, but if it does break I’ll consider the 40 gig if it’s cheaper.  A better shuffle would be good in the mean time.

Posted by hamp on April 23, 2004 at 11:27 AM (PDT)

These debates sure get old fast. Same ol’ crap. I bought a mini because of it’s physical size, not because it was “cute” or any other stupid reason. Sure I would love to have a 40g mini but that will take some time. I personally don’t like the regular iPod that much, but respect those that do. I prefer the size and mechanics of the mini and it “appears” a lot of other people do too. Can’t wait for future versions.

Posted by retro on April 23, 2004 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

“most encoded at 320 AAC!”

Since disk spac is obviously not an issue for you, you could save yourself future headache by encoding your rips in a non-lossy, compressed format like FLAC or SHN. Then when you want a specific format file you can compress and downgrade the quality to specific AAC/MP#VBR bitrates on-demand.

320K AAC is still lossy.

Although now that there is WMA Lossless, I hope Apple will produce a lossless compressed format as well.

Posted by Lossy on April 23, 2004 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

“i have 13600 songs in AAC format which takes up 106 GB of hard drive space, complete albums all nice and tidy with the cover art, about 100 songs from ITMS, and most encoded at 320 AAC! Feel jealous? hahaha “

oh god please tell me you are kidding, i really have to agree with this guy who says its like penis envy. i really dont care how many songs you have mate, and no im not jealous, why would i be? i dont want your music. i have the music i want, its really not about how many songs you have. one line of reasoning would say that people with a ridiculous number of mp3s either have a very short attention span, or arent actually into the music but love the collecting and sorting. i wouldnt say that such a thing is wrong and i certainly wouldnt judge anyone, but to judge others for not having as many mp3s and even saying that you are more “into music” because of it is arrogant and certainly not always true. you should really grow up.

Posted by giles on April 23, 2004 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

oh and also….along a similar line, the whole audio quality thing really doesnt swing with me…im being honest here, i cant tell the difference between 192kbps and 320kbps music, or even stuff played directly from a cd. now does this make me less of a “music fan”? certainly not! in fact i am thankful i am not hindered by having such marvellously perceptive ear. i can listen to a recording and not be concentrating on the “quality”, but i can concentrate on the quality. i dunno maybe i could train myself to listen for tinny sounds on the snare drum….but where would that really get me? well lets see….id start hearing tinny noises on snare drums…...oh and also by the looks of some of you lot i’d become highly arrogant and snobbish. so pardon me for listening to the same track more than once in a “lossy” format….surely everything is lossy anyway? cds are lossy….what do you want? the pure soundwaves hand crafted by the performers to be delicately placed inside your brain? if this really is a site about a music device, which sometimes i doubt, why is there no talk about music? i hope you arent ashamed…

Posted by giles on April 23, 2004 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

well put -giles smile

Posted by dietrite on April 23, 2004 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >